Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart…

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart (Quick & Dirty Tips)

by Mignon Fogarty

191537,190 (3.67)None

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians to popular authors and television shows.

Some of the words contained in this book were familiar to me but Fogarty pointed out subtle nuances of usage that I was unfamiliar with. Other words were completely new. While I do not see myself regularly interjecting these words into my reviews or other writings, I will be keeping this book on hand as a reference guide for those occasions when an extra special word is needed.

The one thing that I found to be missing from this book is a pronunciation guide for each word. While Fogarty is discussing the usage of these words in writing, I still like to know how the word should sound in my head as I am reading it. ( )
  DonnerLibrary | Nov 13, 2011 |

Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one smart word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write something? Do you find yourself using the same words over and over? Grammar Girl to the rescue! This handy reference guide contains 101 words that will enhance your writing, adding nuance, subtlety, and insight. Using these words in speeches, you'll sound confident and articulate—a skill that will benefit you for years to come.

Full of clear, straightforward definitions and fun quotations from historic luminaries such as Leonardo da Vinci and Charlotte Bronte as well as contemporary notables such as Dave Eggers and Rowan Atkinson, this highly useable guidebook gives you the ability to speak and write eloquently at any occasion, setting you up for a lifetime of success.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:25 -0400)

Provides words to enhance the readers' vocabulary with definitions and quotes from historic and contemporary people, including Leonardo da Vinci, Dave Eggers, and Rowan Atkinson.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,623,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible