Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal Magic

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels (5.2)

This is set in an established universe but with a new main viewpoint character. Kate is still in the story but is not not in the spotlight much. What I found interesting there is a novella after the story that features what Kate is doing before the main story starts and ends when you first see Kate in the main story. Andrea is trying to get over being dumped by the Order of Knights and then because she retreated into herself she alienated her boyfriend so of course the story has a b plot of dealing with that while she is trying to solve a murder at her ex boyfriends work site. Of course everything works out in the end and the mystery gets solved as well. I'm just glad the romance is fixed by the end of the book and not dragged out over several books. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Super, as usual! This world is always addictive, and the characters never disappoint. Andrea has different problems and perspective than Kate, but she's entertaining and loveable. Former minor characters like Ascanio and Roman jumped off the page, and Raphael was charming as usual. Loved it. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I won't be doing my normal format review for this one because I am already swimming in reviews! However, here are my thoughts!

Strengths:
I freaking love Andrea! She is such a great character with a really heart-wrenching past. We got to see so much more about her, her previous life, what it's like being beastkin, and how she really feels about Raphael. Awesome!
The narration for Gunmetal Magic ended up working quite well. A lot of the characters have southern accents, which makes sense given the Pack is based in the south. I ended up being quite happy with Andrea's voice and all the other characters'.
Gunmetal Magic brings in Egyptian mythology!
Oh boudas and their shenanigans! Raphael got a bit weird at times, but Andrea has the best pranks ;-).
Especially towards the second half of Gunmetal Magic, we get to see inner workings of the Pack that couldn't really be told from Kate's perspective. As Andrea deals with Clan Bouda and figures out what she's going to do, we get a new angle on Clans and how they operate, very cool.
On Starships and Dragonwings

Weaknesses:
The first half of Gunmetal Magic is dominated by relationship drama and I just wanted to smack Raphael and Andrea upside their heads. Or lock them in a room together.
The ending of the big battle etc ended up a little bit confusing, perhaps because I was listening on audio, but also just because there were various rules and reasonings from arguably crazy people >.>.
The narration worked for me in the end, but it did take getting used to!

anyaejo | Jan 7, 2014 |
Gunmetal Magic is a spin off from Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series featuring Andrea Nash. It begins a few weeks after Andrea was summarily dismissed from the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, her shape shifter status having been revealed in Magic Slays. Having spent some time metaphorically licking her wounds, mourning not only the loss of her career but also the messy demise of her relationship with Raphael, she is working for Kate at Cutting Edge when she is assigned to investigate the deaths of four Pack members. The murders uncover the theft of a priceless artifact that leads Andrea to an Egyptian God determined to rise again, and suddenly Andrea is fighting for her life and the lives of those she loves.

The world building is phenomenal as always, of course I am familiar with most of it having read the Kate Daniels series but Andrea’s character offers a slightly different perspective. The action is frantic, and often violent given the nature of the were’s. Andrea is kick ass and doesn’t shy away from any physical confrontation.

Much of the character angle of the novel involves Andrea coming to terms with her werehyena (bouda) nature. As a beastkin she endured a horrific childhood and has avoided the Pack as much as possible, but now she is outed she has to find a way to make peace with who she is and the Clan that claims rights to her.

There is romance too of course with Andrea and Raphael’s relationship in a mess to begin with. It takes some sorting for these two stubborn characters to work out their differences, providing both some hilarious and achingly tender moments.

Many of the Kate Daniels series characters make appearances including Kate, Curran and Ghastek. Though Gunmetal Magic is technically the start of a new series, familiarity with the Kate Daniels series would definitely enhance the reading experience of this debut.

I loved Gunmetal Magic and I am impressed that Andrews has been able to continue the momentum of her well established world into Gunmetal Magic. I can’t wait for the next installment. ( )
  shelleyraec | Jan 4, 2014 |
You know what? I get why I was supposed to like this book. The heroine is smart and occasionally funny. It's urban fantasy. The romance isn't overdone--although I'm getting super tired of the ultra-alpha protective jealous tall dark type. I really love Kelley Armstrong. But I struggled to like this book even as a guilty pleasure. It was okay, I guess ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the fine people of Texas, who have taken us in and treated us as their own.
Thud! My head hit the sidewalk.

After being kicked out of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea Nash begins working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend, Kate Daniels, and must enter the underbelly of supernatural Atlanta, where a killer waits, for her first assignment.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible