Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal Magic (edition 2012)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Member:irishsurprise
Title:Gunmetal Magic
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: First Printing, 448 pages
Tags:Read in 2018, Urban fantasy, Werewolves, Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal Magic
4 Stars

Series Note: This book cannot be read as a standalone. It is necessary to read the first 5 Kate Daniels books in order to get a feel for the world Andrews has created as well as important background detail on the characters.

Kate and Curran are a hard act to follow. It is difficult to become as immersed and involved in Andrea and Raphael's relationship following Kate and Curran's romance in the first 5 books.

Andrea has made some questionable choices in the past and as such, it is difficult to completely take her side in her clash of wills with Raphael. That said, this installment provides some much needed background on her childhood and succeeds in making her decisions more tenable.

Raphael is no saint and his actions at the beginning of the book made me want to strangle him. Thankfully, he and Andrea come to their senses without too much angst and their make-up scenes are really cute. It also helps that Ilona and Gordon are so skilled in the witty banter and snappy, snarky comebacks department.

As in the Kate Daniels books, the plot once again centers on a particular mythology and this time it is Egypt's turn. The details are well-researched and the action scenes exciting. However, the storyline is quite convoluted and there are times when it is difficult to determine who the actual villains are and precisely what they want.

The best aspect of the book is the family dynamic established by the secondary characters. Ascanio, Roman, Aunt B, Doolittle, and of course, Kate and Curran, all come together to bully, pester, tease, encourage and support Andrea thereby making Gunmetal Magic a worthy addition to the series.

While all threads are neatly tied up by the end, some unanswered questions remain Is the Witch Oracle's prophecy related to the events in this book or not? What exactly is a First and how did Curran become one? and I can't wait for Magic Rises to come out. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book. This was a re-read for me and I had a lot of fun re-visiting this book since I know what will happen to these wonderful characters as the series moves forward. I do remember being slightly disappointed when this book was first published simply because I wanted another book featuring Kate and Curran and I got Andrea instead. I ended up loving the book though.

Andrea and Kate are best friends so their lives overlap in a lot of areas but Andrea does have her own story to tell and I am glad that Ilona Andrews made the decision to let her do just that in this book. Andrea is not in a great place as this book opens. Her relationship with Raphael is over and she has lost her job with the Order. Both of these things meant the world to her and helped shaped her identity.

Andrea is working with Kate at their new agency, Cutting Edge, when she gets a call about a new case. This new case just happens to be tied to Raphael which only proves to make things more interesting. Throw in some strange snake people and a complex mystery and you have plenty of excitement. All the action is nicely balanced with a bit of humor and romance.

I really enjoyed seeing Kate, Curran, and all of the other characters from a different perspective. I think that Andrea is in a unique position to give that perspective because she is close to a lot of the key characters but she still feels and acts like an outsider. Andrea grows a lot as a character over the course of this book and the insight into her background really helps with understanding some of the ways that she looks at the world.

Renee Raudman does a fabulous job with this series. It is funny that I didn't really care for her narration for the first couple of books in the series but now I couldn't imagine anyone else. She really is able to perform a wide range of characters very well and with a lot of emotion. She has a very pleasant voice that is easy to listen to for hours at a time.

I highly recommend this series to others. This is a series that you do need to read in order since each book builds on the last. This is a very important book in the overall story arc and should not be missed. I can't wait to continue with my re-read of this wonderful series. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 19, 2017 |
3.5 / 5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Since it's from Ilona Andrews and in the Kate Daniels world, it's not a surprise I enjoyed this one at least some. I dug the husband-wife team's writing style and the unusual world they've splashed on the pages.

This one focuses on Andrea as the heroine and her relationship woes with Raphael, trying to go on her own to solve a series of shapeshifter murders, and coming to terms with what she is and where she fits into the pack. I've always liked Andrea as a side character when the POV is Kate; her personality is strong, supportive, and creative enough. Being in her head just wasn't as enjoyable an experience as Kate. She comes across colder and harsher in way. Kate was a supreme bad-ass also, but she had humor in her thinking, making it easier and more enjoyable to follow. Andrea didn't have any of that and it seems Ilona Andrews missed making her be her own character that stands strongly enough in a way.

I've always truly dug Raphael in previous books. He had sarcasm, humor, flirty style, and a hotness that simmered. Here it's mainly absent. He doesn't flirt much besides the obvious scenes where they're teasing each other up, there's little to no humor from him like before, and the one minor sex scene is extremely abbreviated. A big bulk of the book is her feelings for Raphael and wanting to be with him, but in a distant kind of way sometimes, other times almost mopey and overwhelming.

A lot of people dislike Aunt B, and I thought maybe it was because of something that happened in this book. I don't see anything negative about her here compared to other novels. If anything she seemed a bit understanding and sympathetic (for the type of shapeshifter she is anyway.)

I thought Kate and Curran only had one minor scene, but I was surprised and delighted to find they had three. The book held more depth when they were there with their humor and seriousness blended. Asconio intrigued me with the last Kate Daniels book and works well again as a supportive character, but stands down a little. I was surprised with Julie. Usually I like the fourteen year old, but her scene here just made her seem like an unreasonable, annoying, and bratty character. Ugh.

Plot wise it's a slow buildup and start after the initial opening. Since Andrea is trying to come to further terms with herself as a bouda, more emphasis is placed on her fighting in her animal form than with the traditional bow and arrow and guns, although they are there too. Pacing and tension during fight scenes are tight. I enjoyed the villain as something unique and different with a bizarrely established presence. Snakes are creepy! Having them here heightened the suspense when they were around and as always Andrews has created a different sort of foe to battle.

Overall the book is certainly worth reading for Kate Daniels fans, but Andrea seems to lose some of her uniqueness for some odd reason and doesn't come off as enjoyable as Kate in my eyes. Her relationship with Raphael is much more serious than Kate and Currans fun arguments were as well, and the relationship angle takes up a huge amount of the story.

The ending has a novella of the Kate Daniels series, which fills in some gaps for the Andrea story and explains things more. I really dug the novella - Kate and Curran are in their usual fun form, the child's story is a clever and strange one that I enjoyed the journey and resolution regarding. Ghastek is finally shown a good amount. Andrews creates a unique vampire world with the people but they are seldom seem as it's more pack orientated. Here we get to see more interaction with them. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Gunmetal Magic is a book in the Kate Daniels series, told from the prospect of Andrea Nash, former member of the Order and best friend to Kate. She's coming to terms with the loss of here beloved career and what that means for her. At the same time, she's nursing a broken heart, having split with boyfriend, Raphael. When four shifters are killed at a reclamation sight run by Raphael's company, she's brought in to investigate and track down the killers. This had all the flare and wit I expected of the author and the action scenes were amazing as usual. You just can't beat flying snakes, magic, and a Russian volhv with an angry staff fighting in the middle of dystopian Atlanta.

I really liked getting the inside story on Andrea's childhood and parents. She certainly had a rough upbringing, which explains why she saw the Order as her family. Losing her job was like losing her family. Since she lost Raphael in the process, she's hesitant to join the pack, unsure if Aunt B's pack will be any better in the long run than the abusive pack she grew up in. Pack law requires a decisions within three days, so now Andrea is up against a wall.

The way the story came together was exciting and full of action. We get glimpses of our favorite characters along the way; Kate, Curran, Jim, Aunt B. and a few others. I also enjoyed the laugh out loud moments and will snicker every time I look at a toilet paper roll holder, at least for the near future. The resolution was an adrenaline rush and extremely well done. I really enjoyed Roman in this, too. He certainly got under Raphael's skin and I liked his "live-life-to-the-fullest" attitude. It was a fun book to read. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the fine people of Texas, who have taken us in and treated us as their own.
Thud! My head hit the sidewalk.

After being kicked out of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea Nash begins working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend, Kate Daniels, and must enter the underbelly of supernatural Atlanta, where a killer waits, for her first assignment.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible