Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal Magic (edition 2012)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Member:irishsurprise
Title:Gunmetal Magic
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: First Printing, 448 pages
Tags:Read in 2018, Urban fantasy, Werewolves, Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Not QUITE as brilliant as the rest of the Kate Daniels books, but pretty damn close. (Like 3.5/5 stars. Would read again, definitely.) The acknowledgements say they had trouble with this story, and it shows in a few small areas. But! I still recommend this to ANYONE who has enjoyed the Kate Daniels world. It was very enjoyable. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
I adore this series/world. I love Andrea. Tough and independent. Raphael hurts her and there is angst. Kind of my favorite stuff when it comes to romance. But a solid Urban Fantasy book. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Very enjoyable Andrea Nash story in the Kate Daniels world. I very much like the way Ilona Andrews writes strong women. They very strong but they are layered and their weaknesses and backstory. In this one, Andrea and Raphael get back togethher and it makes senses. But there is a lot action and suspense, this is more than a romance. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jul 12, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Gunmetal Magic
4 Stars

Series Note: This book cannot be read as a standalone. It is necessary to read the first 5 Kate Daniels books in order to get a feel for the world Andrews has created as well as important background detail on the characters.

Kate and Curran are a hard act to follow. It is difficult to become as immersed and involved in Andrea and Raphael's relationship following Kate and Curran's romance in the first 5 books.

Andrea has made some questionable choices in the past and as such, it is difficult to completely take her side in her clash of wills with Raphael. That said, this installment provides some much needed background on her childhood and succeeds in making her decisions more tenable.

Raphael is no saint and his actions at the beginning of the book made me want to strangle him. Thankfully, he and Andrea come to their senses without too much angst and their make-up scenes are really cute. It also helps that Ilona and Gordon are so skilled in the witty banter and snappy, snarky comebacks department.

As in the Kate Daniels books, the plot once again centers on a particular mythology and this time it is Egypt's turn. The details are well-researched and the action scenes exciting. However, the storyline is quite convoluted and there are times when it is difficult to determine who the actual villains are and precisely what they want.

The best aspect of the book is the family dynamic established by the secondary characters. Ascanio, Roman, Aunt B, Doolittle, and of course, Kate and Curran, all come together to bully, pester, tease, encourage and support Andrea thereby making Gunmetal Magic a worthy addition to the series.

While all threads are neatly tied up by the end, some unanswered questions remain Is the Witch Oracle's prophecy related to the events in this book or not? What exactly is a First and how did Curran become one? and I can't wait for Magic Rises to come out. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the fine people of Texas, who have taken us in and treated us as their own.
Thud! My head hit the sidewalk.

After being kicked out of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea Nash begins working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend, Kate Daniels, and must enter the underbelly of supernatural Atlanta, where a killer waits, for her first assignment.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,797,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible