The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable…

The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls

by Julie Schumacher

8319145,226 (3.15)1

Adrienne Haus (A.), in a knee brace after a freak fall at school, has to spend the summer at home instead of on an outdoor adventure camp with her best friend Liz. Her mother, along with three others from a yoga class, decide to hold a mother/daughter bookclub over the summer, covering a few of the titles in their upcoming AP English class. The group is predictably mismatched, but I liked the way the classic stereotypes played off one another and how the books they choose reflected how the summer was progressing. Vaguely set up as Adrienne's summer essay, I also liked how she (well, Schumacher) interspersed the required literary terms as chapter headings. Considering some of the subject matter, sneaking out, drinking etc, I was surprised it still came off as a fairly breezy read, and without every single question being answered. I especially liked the names for this forced book club that the girls continued to come up with throughout the story. And of course, there's Wallis' Rule of Three Thousand, a metric about books read throughout one's life, but I'm confident most of my group will be closer to the Rule of Six Thousand! ( )
  ethel55 | Jun 6, 2014 |
This book brings together a mismatched foursome of young teenage girls for a mother-daughter book club. There is CeeCee who is catty and is in the club because she banged up her parents car, Jill whose mother thought she should socialize more, awkward Wallis who actually wanted to be in the club, and the protagonist and narrator Adrienne who had an injured need and a mother who thought she needed to do during the summer. The girls were getting ready for junior year AP English and were not friends previously.

I'm not a big reader of YA lit, but thought this book sounded promising as I needed one placed in Delaware for a challenge. For the most part, the characters were stereotypes you would expect to meet in book about high school kids. Maybe because I'm in a completely different place in my life, I did not find the book had the appeal I was hoping for and was rather glad when the story was finished. ( )
  punxsygal | May 13, 2014 |
Recensione anche su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-3b
Review also on: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-3b ( )
  Saretta.L | Oct 24, 2013 |
Schumacher has written a deeply thoughtful and realistic, yet quirky, novel about the summer that a socially awkward teen spends separated from her only friend. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 24, 2013 |
Quick read. I wish more questions about Wallis had been answered. ( )
  socango | Apr 2, 2013 |

I'm Adrienne Haus, survivor of a mother-daughter book club. Most of us didn't want to join. My mother signed me up because I was stuck at home all summer, with my knee in a brace. CeeCee's parents forced her to join after cancelling her Paris trip because she bashed up their car. The members of "The Unbearable Book Club," CeeCee, Jill, Wallis, and I, were all going into eleventh grade A.P. English. But we weren't friends. We were literary prisoners, sweating, reading classics, and hanging out at the pool. If you want to find out how membership in a book club can end up with a person being dead, you can probably look us up under mother-daughter literary catastrophe. Or open this book and read my essay, which I'll turn in when I go back to school.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:43 -0400)

When four very different small-town Delaware high school girls are forced to join a mother-daughter book club over summer vacation, they end up learning about more than just the books they read.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible