HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Loading...

Seraphina

by Rachel Hartman

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: Seraphina (1), Goredd (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,6362073,367 (4.12)181
  1. 51
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (tim_halpin)
    tim_halpin: Teenage angst mixed with angst about demon souls. Similar strong female teenage protagonists.
  2. 41
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (sboyte)
    sboyte: Strong female lead with unique abilities. Fantasy realm. Well-developed love story. Unputdownable.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 181 mentions

English (206)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (207)
Showing 1-5 of 206 (next | show all)
La novela comienza con el funeral de un miembro de la familia Real que ha sido asesinado, y al haberse hallado su cuerpo sin cabeza, los humanos sospechan de que ha sido un dragón el que ha cometido el crimen, lo que hace tambalear los cimientos de este frágil tratado de paz.
Los dragones pueden transformarse en humanos y así conoceremos a varios de estos seres que están relacionados de un modo u otro con la protagonista, como por ejemplo los embajadores dragones que acuden a palacio para estrechar lazos con los humanos.
Una de las normas de Seraphina es la de pasar totalmente desapercibida, pero tras los hechos acontecidos en palacio las cosas van a cambiar mucho, y es que se verá envuelta en la investigación del asesinato del príncipe teniendo que elegir muy bien en quién confiar…
Una de las partes más interesantes del libro es, sin duda, el ‘Jardín’ mental de Seraphina, algo que se explica en los primeros compases del libro. Ella puede, mediante la relajación, acceder a una parte de su mente en la que diversos personajes interactúan en un sitio que ella ha creado especialmente para, los que ella considera, seres imaginarios. Doña Tiquismiquis, el murciélago de la fruta… son algunos de los nombres que les ha otorgado, y pronto descubriremos que hay mucho más de lo que parece… como toda la novela. Como os comentaba al principio, es complicado hablar de la novela sin destripar detalles interesantes para su desarrollo, que son muchos.
Una historia totalmente recomendada para los amantes de las novelas fantásticas, y es que el mundo creado por Rachel Hartman es rico en detalles pero lo justo para no ‘agobiarnos’ con mucha información. Muy ágil, intenso y trepidante, una vez lo empieces y entres en el juego de la autora, no podrás soltarlo. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
I really, really loved this book. Totally unique, yet completely believable in that way that awesome fantasy it. Seraphina is...awesome and Hartman's writing is just plain lyrical (LOL!! if you've read this, you'll get that awful joke) at points. A must read for YA fantasy fans. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
Hand-flappingly good. I think Seraphina on her own is a fantastic character, but the book is rich with them. Hartman plays the gray areas of complex relationships and politics beautifully, and by acknowledging there are grey areas pays great respect to her readers at the same time. ( )
  sussura | Sep 29, 2018 |
Excellent story, plot, characters and questions. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
One of the best dragon books I have ever read. The dragons are complex characters, not simply generic ornamentation for the story. And the heroine, Seraphina, is brave, strong willed and fiercely independent ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 206 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Rachel Hartmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaIllustrator (Title Page)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palisi, HeatherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
In memoriam: Michael McMechan.
Dragon, teacher, friend.
First words
I remember being born.
Quotations
I usually practiced smiling while I slathered my scales with goo, figuring that if I could smile through that, I could smile through anything. Today I really didn't have the time.
We were all monsters and bastards. And we were all beautiful.
(page 90)

"My faith should not come easily;
There is no Heaven without pain.
My days should never flutter past
Unnoted, nor my past remain
Beyond its span of usefulness;
Le me not hold to grief.
My hope, my light, my Saint is love;
In love my one belief."
(page 142-143)

The vagabond sun winks down through the trees,
While lilacs, like memories, waft on the breeze,
My friend, I was born for soft days such as these,
To inhale perfume,
And cut through the gloom,
And feast like a king upon peaches and cheese!
I'll travel this wide world and go where I please,
Can't stop my wandering, it's like a disease.
My only regret as I cross the high seas;
what I leave behind,
Though I hope to find,
My own golden city of peaches and cheese!
(page 144)

I'll ask my true love, and I'll hope she agrees,
How could she not, when I'm down on my knees?
My Jill, say you will, and don't be such a tease.
When it's time to eat,
I say sweets to the sweet,
My love, let your answer be peaches and cheese!
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375866566, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Teen Book of the Month, July 2012: In Seraphina, dragons and humans maintain an uneasy peace and for a woman who is both there is nowhere to turn for acceptance--not even within herself. Seraphina has spent her young life concealing the truth of her parentage and authentic nature, a task that proves ever more difficult when she is thrust into the spotlight of the royal court. Author Rachel Hartman’s dragons take human form but shun the messiness of human emotion by remaining “in ard” (a highly rational state of mind), while their counterparts cling to a dangerous assumption of species superiority. As the anniversary of the treaty between the two sides approaches, court intrigue reaches a fever pitch and hard-won truths, betrayals, and intricacies of the heart are laid bare. Seraphina is a beautifully complex fantasy that delves into the most basic of desires—to be loved, to belong, and to find peace in self-acceptance. --Seira Wilson

Guest Review by Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce is a best-selling author of fantasy books for teenagers. Her books, known for their teenaged girl warriors and wizards, have received critical acclaim and a strong fanbase. Her newest book, Mastiff, is the third book in The Legend of Beka Cooper series.

In Seraphina's world, coldly intellectual dragons can take on the shapes--and feelings--of human beings. Sometimes this results in a surprise. Seraphina's father married a beautiful musician, and discovered too late that she was a dragon. She died, leaving him with a daughter who confuses him and his new wife and children.

Now the half-dragon Seraphina is the assistant to the cranky royal music master. She is in charge of Princess Glisselda's music lessons; she books performers for the 40-year celebration of the peace treaty between dragons and humans, and she rehearses the rowdy court musicians. She has to hide the scales on her arm and around her waist, and she can never let anyone find out that Orma, her music teacher, is actually a dragon.

When she plays the solo for the funeral of the realm's murdered prince, Seraphina is suddenly raised into entirely new, visible levels of peril. People she always avoided are noticing her. She has to attend social functions, where she is caught up in court politics, between those who support the treaty and those who want to destroy it. She runs afoul of conspirators who want to start the war again--one of them may be her own grandfather. She even discovers that Prince Lucian, who is betrothed to Princess Glisselda, is not only very sharp-eyed but also very agreeable to be around. He appreciates her insights on intrigue at court and in the city and uses her as an unofficial investigator into the ongoing unrest.

The plot thickens. A new religious order plots riots and revolution. Exiled knights return to report an unregulated dragon flying near where the old prince was murdered. The dragons are trying to send Orma for corrective surgery--they think he's gotten too human and they want to cut those parts out of his brain. Seraphina fears that if she tells the prince and the princess what she is, they'll hate her forever, but their work to preserve the treaty celebrations is bringing them closer together. And all of them are terrified that the dragons will decide that humans are not worth the trouble, and will destroy them at last.

I loved this book even more the second time I read it than I did the first. The characters are interesting and engaging, and I love the new look at dragons. For all that she's half-dragon, Seraphina is a very believable human being, caught between different loyalties and just trying to keep everyone she loves alive. But don't take my word for it--read it yourself!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:48 -0400)

(see all 4 descriptions)

In a world where dragons and humans coexist in an uneasy truce and dragons can assume human form, Seraphina, whose mother died giving birth to her, grapples with her own identity amid magical secrets and royal scandals, while she struggles to accept and develop her extraordinary musical talents.… (more)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.12)
0.5
1 2
1.5 1
2 19
2.5 1
3 92
3.5 33
4 306
4.5 65
5 211

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,578,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible