Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

by Rachel Hartman

Member:tortoise
Title:Seraphina
Authors:Rachel Hartman
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:Read in 2013 (Micah)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (tim_halpin)
    tim_halpin: Teenage angst mixed with angst about demon souls. Similar strong female teenage protagonists.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (sboyte)
    sboyte: Strong female lead with unique abilities. Fantasy realm. Well-developed love story. Unputdownable.

This book is beautiful. The writing is absolutely wonderful to read, like a decadent slice of rich chocolate cake! I love the world building - definitely a show-not-tell sort of world building that lacked the pages and pages of exposition to get the reader to understand what was going on. I loved the complexity of the characters and I love how it ended.

Unfortunately, after all the reviews/comments about the next book, I think this will be the only book in this universe that I will read. I do not want to mar its memory. Definitely worth all 400 pages. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
When I was younger fantasy was definitely my favourite genre of books, and any novel with magic or dragons was right up my street. When I reached my mid-teens I went on a paranormal rampage and fantasy was forgotten. I've recently started to pick up more fantasy, and this was a YA fantasy read that had been on my TBR shelf for a while.
It is the story of a girl, called Seraphina, who is an illegal half dragon half human and works as assistant to the Court musician.
This is a really enjoyable novel, the plot is fast paced and action packed, although it does take a little while to get started. I really enjoyed the idea of the dragons being able to sort of fold themselves into human bodies. I think this added a whole new dimension to the human/dragon relationship. Another aspect of the novel I liked was the Treaty of Peace between the Dragons and Humans. It was very interesting to see the different parties that fought for the peace and the humans who were fearful of the dragons but saw themselves as better than them.
Seraphina is the main character in the novel, and I really like her. She is an awesome female protagonist, she is fearless and tough, but also smart and she made none of the "typical" stupid decisions that YA heroines tend to make. She was so honest but not at all self pitying about her less than ideal circumstances.
This novel also had a host of other female characters who were wonderfully crafted by the writer. They were multi dimensional and strong, which was great to read. Glisselda was another of my favourite characters, she was graceful and strong and didn't rely on the male characters one bit.
I also love the character of Kiggs; Prince and love interest to Seraphina. He was so endearing and completely won me over. He was honest and caring and treated Seraphina with respect. I definitely want to read more about him in the sequel. The relationship between him and Seraphina developed nicely, the attraction between the two developed slowly, it was subtle and not forced upon the reader.
The novel itself was also beautifully written. The imagery was wonderful, the book was a pleasure to read.
Overall I gave this novel 4.5/5 stars and this is definitely one of the best books I have read this year, and one of my favourite YA fantasy books that I have ever read. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
What an incredibly stunning and vivid world Hartman has created! Often, with books I wasn't awaiting or that I didn't buy for myself, reality keeps me from getting fully engaged for a hundred pages or so. This absorbed me from the first sentence. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 27, 2016 |
n the kingdom of Goredd, dragons have learned to take on human form and live among the humans in a tenuous peace. Weeks before the forty-year celebration of the peace treaty between dragonkind and humans, tensions between the races escalate when Prince Rufus is murdered in a manner suggesting a dragon is responsible. In the court, Seraphina has earned the position of assistant to the court composer. But Seraphina has a secret, one that gives her insights into the murder and political intrigues which could throw the kingdom back into war with dragonkind; but helping the observant and curious Prince Kiggs with the investigation puts her secret at risk.

Rich world building and a full cast of fleshed out characters draw the reader into Seraphina’s story. Vivid language and descriptions bring the court and dragons to life and the passages describing Seraphina’s experience performing music are particularly compelling. Dragons are given a unique treatment in the tale, eschewing emotion and attachments and embracing strict logic and stoicism.

Exploring weighty issues such as racism, prejudice, otherness, self-harm, and mental health, Hartman does not condescendingly water these issues down for the intended younger audience, but manages to tackle them head-on without turning the story into something bleak and overbearing.

Seraphina is a highly entertaining and satisfying novel about love, friendship, and self-acceptance.

aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
I thought the book was good overall, but found the beginning too slow for my liking. I'm not one who likes lots of psychology and hearing people in their heads and all the narratives relating to calming her garden were just too much for me. I understand why these narratives needed to be there, it was just a bit much for me.

That was my on,y real complaint. The rest of the book I enjoyed including the ending. ( )
  L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |

Rachel Hartmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaIllustrator (Title Page)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palisi, HeatherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memoriam: Michael McMechan.
Dragon, teacher, friend.
I remember being born.
I usually practiced smiling while I slathered my scales with goo, figuring that if I could smile through that, I could smile through anything. Today I really didn't have the time.
We were all monsters and bastards. And we were all beautiful.
(page 90)

"My faith should not come easily;
There is no Heaven without pain.
My days should never flutter past
Unnoted, nor my past remain
Beyond its span of usefulness;
Le me not hold to grief.
My hope, my light, my Saint is love;
In love my one belief."
(page 142-143)

The vagabond sun winks down through the trees,
While lilacs, like memories, waft on the breeze,
My friend, I was born for soft days such as these,
To inhale perfume,
And cut through the gloom,
And feast like a king upon peaches and cheese!
I'll travel this wide world and go where I please,
Can't stop my wandering, it's like a disease.
My only regret as I cross the high seas;
what I leave behind,
Though I hope to find,
My own golden city of peaches and cheese!
(page 144)

I'll ask my true love, and I'll hope she agrees,
How could she not, when I'm down on my knees?
My Jill, say you will, and don't be such a tease.
When it's time to eat,
I say sweets to the sweet,
My love, let your answer be peaches and cheese!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375866566, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Teen Book of the Month, July 2012: In Seraphina, dragons and humans maintain an uneasy peace and for a woman who is both there is nowhere to turn for acceptance--not even within herself. Seraphina has spent her young life concealing the truth of her parentage and authentic nature, a task that proves ever more difficult when she is thrust into the spotlight of the royal court. Author Rachel Hartman’s dragons take human form but shun the messiness of human emotion by remaining “in ard” (a highly rational state of mind), while their counterparts cling to a dangerous assumption of species superiority. As the anniversary of the treaty between the two sides approaches, court intrigue reaches a fever pitch and hard-won truths, betrayals, and intricacies of the heart are laid bare. Seraphina is a beautifully complex fantasy that delves into the most basic of desires—to be loved, to belong, and to find peace in self-acceptance. --Seira Wilson

Guest Review by Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce is a best-selling author of fantasy books for teenagers. Her books, known for their teenaged girl warriors and wizards, have received critical acclaim and a strong fanbase. Her newest book, Mastiff, is the third book in The Legend of Beka Cooper series.

In Seraphina's world, coldly intellectual dragons can take on the shapes--and feelings--of human beings. Sometimes this results in a surprise. Seraphina's father married a beautiful musician, and discovered too late that she was a dragon. She died, leaving him with a daughter who confuses him and his new wife and children.

Now the half-dragon Seraphina is the assistant to the cranky royal music master. She is in charge of Princess Glisselda's music lessons; she books performers for the 40-year celebration of the peace treaty between dragons and humans, and she rehearses the rowdy court musicians. She has to hide the scales on her arm and around her waist, and she can never let anyone find out that Orma, her music teacher, is actually a dragon.

When she plays the solo for the funeral of the realm's murdered prince, Seraphina is suddenly raised into entirely new, visible levels of peril. People she always avoided are noticing her. She has to attend social functions, where she is caught up in court politics, between those who support the treaty and those who want to destroy it. She runs afoul of conspirators who want to start the war again--one of them may be her own grandfather. She even discovers that Prince Lucian, who is betrothed to Princess Glisselda, is not only very sharp-eyed but also very agreeable to be around. He appreciates her insights on intrigue at court and in the city and uses her as an unofficial investigator into the ongoing unrest.

The plot thickens. A new religious order plots riots and revolution. Exiled knights return to report an unregulated dragon flying near where the old prince was murdered. The dragons are trying to send Orma for corrective surgery--they think he's gotten too human and they want to cut those parts out of his brain. Seraphina fears that if she tells the prince and the princess what she is, they'll hate her forever, but their work to preserve the treaty celebrations is bringing them closer together. And all of them are terrified that the dragons will decide that humans are not worth the trouble, and will destroy them at last.

I loved this book even more the second time I read it than I did the first. The characters are interesting and engaging, and I love the new look at dragons. For all that she's half-dragon, Seraphina is a very believable human being, caught between different loyalties and just trying to keep everyone she loves alive. But don't take my word for it--read it yourself!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:48 -0400)

In a world where dragons and humans coexist in an uneasy truce and dragons can assume human form, Seraphina, whose mother died giving birth to her, grapples with her own identity amid magical secrets and royal scandals, while she struggles to accept and develop her extraordinary musical talents.… (more)

445 wanted4 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,829,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible