I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard…

I Am Legend and Other Stories (1954)

by Richard Matheson

The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Similar in many ways. Each stays in the head of a solitary hero, isolated by unnatural events beyond his control, struggling to hold onto his sanity and his sense of self.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (KatyBee)
    No Blade of Grass by John Christopher (crdf)
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (VictoriaPL)

English (185)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (187)
I liked it but I agree with many of the reviewers who said it was too short. I like something that I can savor a little longer. The story was good but I don't understand the cult like following this book has. It was OK but that's all it was. As far as the short stories after "I am Ledgend", I've only read the first three and I didn't care for any of them. I wish my copy of "Misery" would have came it so I'd have something decent to read tonight. Since it didn't I'll give the other stories a shot but so far it doesn't look good. ( )
  ralphs007 | Jan 24, 2016 |
The short story (novella?) "I Am Legend" starts this collection, and it's a good one! Robert Neville is the only one left after a plague turns most of the world's people into vampires! It's a very different tale then the one that was made into a movie, and very much worth reading! Ten more short stories round out this volume, most filled with some kind of suspense, terror, or downright horror. Just remember as you read them, do NOT pick up that phone ringing in your head! You have been warned! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book surprised me. It was very good, and I found myself completely engrossed. I read it before watching the movie, and I think that always helps because there are no preconceived images in mind before you turn to the first page. It was a very easy read, hard to put down and everything a summer novel should be. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I was pretty underwhelmed by this book, I didn't hate it and I didn't have to force myself to finish it, I was just, underwhelmed. I'm not really sure how this story became such classic that it was filmed three times. I also didn't realize that the version I read was a collection of short stories by the author, I read two of them after I Am Legend ended before I realized what they were...it was a tad confusing. I liked the other short stories much better than I Am Legend, especially Prey which was adapted into the short story in the film The Trilogy of Terror and seriously freaked me out as a child. It was worth reading for the other short stories and to finally see the origin of the three movies, but not really worth going out of your way to read. ( )
  Kellswitch | Aug 19, 2015 |
Questions that arose for me while reading this book: In the case of a vampire apocalypse, is it better to be in a car-dependent city, or one with strong public transit? Can you really sound-proof a house in less than a day? Were Matheson's stereotypes of librarians widespread in the 1950's?

The ending of the title story was...weird. But at least the title made more sense than it did in the movie.

(I've not read the rest of the stories, so this is just a review (sort of) of the one story/novella.) ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jul 29, 2015 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rasovsky, YuriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To HENRY KUTTNER with my grateful thanks for his help and encouragement on this book.
On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.
This is the work for a short story collection, which includes the novella "I Am Legend". Please do NOT combine it with the main "I Am Legend" work which just contains the novel.

Stories contained in this work are:
I am legend --
The funeral --
From shadowed places --
Person to person

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH IS NOT ALONE

Robert Neville may well be the only survivor of an incurable plague that has mutated every other man, woman, and child into bloodthirsty, nocturnal creatures who are determined to destroy him.

By day, he scavenges for food and supplies, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But all the while the infected lurk in the shadows, watching his every move, waiting for him to make a mistake....

I AM LEGEND

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031286504X, Paperback)

One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night. Except, that is, for Robert Neville. He alone appears to be immune to this disease, but the grim irony is that now he is the outsider. He is the legendary monster who must be destroyed because he is different from everyone else. Employing a stark, almost documentary style, Richard Matheson was one of the first writers to convince us that the undead can lurk in a local supermarket freezer as well as a remote Gothic castle. His influence on a generation of bestselling authors--including Stephen King and Dean Koontz--who first read him in their youth is, well, legendary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

As the last living person on Earth, Robert Neville spends his days hunting vampires and nights barricaded inside his home while the vampires come after him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,078,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible