I Am Legend [collection] by Richard Matheson

I Am Legend [collection] (1954)

by Richard Matheson

4,5191651,057 (3.87)81
2008 (23) 20th century (28) American (22) apocalypse (53) apocalyptic (32) classic (35) classics (20) collection (28) dystopia (36) ebook (33) fantasy (71) fiction (453) horror (526) made into movie (34) movie (27) novel (45) own (28) plague (33) post-apocalyptic (141) read (99) science fiction (356) sf (39) sff (22) short stories (128) speculative fiction (22) survival (39) to-read (110) unread (25) vampires (402) zombies (66)
    The Incredible Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Similar in many ways. Each stays in the head of a solitary hero, isolated by unnatural events beyond his control, struggling to hold onto his sanity and his sense of self.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (KatyBee)
    No Blade of Grass by John Christopher (crdf)
    The Green Mile Book 2: The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (VictoriaPL)

English (164)  Dutch (1)  All languages (165)
Richard Matheson has a wonderful imagination. His story quickly draws us into a horror world of death rising and walking, the end of human-kind as we know it.

If you are expecting a story that reads like the "Omega Man" or the movie "I am Legend" then, other than the basic story line, you may be disappointed. However, if you are familiar with Matheson's writing style and enjoy where is stories take you then you won't be disappointed. The similarities to the movies were welcome, but the differences made it all the more interesting. ( )
1 vote AussiePenMan | Apr 16, 2014 |
I want to compare this with the Will Smith movie.
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
Rather unexpected.

I AM LEGEND is a book that reads like it was just published, and not like it was written in 1954. The overall perspective and point of view is very modern, as is the frequent references to sexual desire. [I show my ignorance, I know, but I was expecting something more prim from the writing of that era.]

THE BAD
To be honest there were sections of the book that bored me. Mostly brief sections where the main character, Neville, was working on some small project, or recollecting something from the past, or feeling sorry for himself; these things just weren't all that interesting to callus ole me. But overall I AM LEGEND was amazingly well constructed. The science was logical, and Matheson was descriptive enough that the tedium and peril of the day-to-day existence is palpable.

THE GOOD
What earns the book the 5-Stars from me is Neville's reasoning and analysis as he tries to figure out the mystery of the contagion. Plus the plot twist at the end... So well done.

I'm so glad I finally read this classic. It's very much the seminal work in apocalyptic literature that others have told me it was. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Feb 18, 2014 |
A great book that has stood the test of time. ( )
  midnight-reader | Feb 16, 2014 |
Love the ending of this short story. One of the best reinterpretations of the vampire genera. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rasovsky, YuriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.
This is the work for "I Am Legend" which also contains assorted short stories.

Do NOT combine it with the main "I Am Legend" work which just contains the short novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031286504X, Paperback)

One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night. Except, that is, for Robert Neville. He alone appears to be immune to this disease, but the grim irony is that now he is the outsider. He is the legendary monster who must be destroyed because he is different from everyone else. Employing a stark, almost documentary style, Richard Matheson was one of the first writers to convince us that the undead can lurk in a local supermarket freezer as well as a remote Gothic castle. His influence on a generation of bestselling authors--including Stephen King and Dean Koontz--who first read him in their youth is, well, legendary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:58 -0400)

"Robert Neville is the last living man on Earth ... but he is not alone. Every other man, woman, and child on Earth has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood"--Publisher's description, I am legend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,576,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible