I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I Am Legend (1954)

by Richard Matheson

The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Similar in many ways. Each stays in the head of a solitary hero, isolated by unnatural events beyond his control, struggling to hold onto his sanity and his sense of self.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (KatyBee)
    No Blade of Grass by John Christopher (crdf)
    Green Mile book 2: The Mouse on the Mile: The Green Mile, part 2 (Green Mile) by Stephen King (VictoriaPL)

English (184)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (186)
Questions that arose for me while reading this book: In the case of a vampire apocalypse, is it better to be in a car-dependent city, or one with strong public transit? Can you really sound-proof a house in less than a day? Were Matheson's stereotypes of librarians widespread in the 1950's?

The ending of the title story was...weird. But at least the title made more sense than it did in the movie.

(I've not read the rest of the stories, so this is just a review (sort of) of the one story/novella.) ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jul 29, 2015 |
>>>I Am Legend - Significantly better than the movie. It astounds me when/why they take such amazing source material and water it down when translating to the big screen.

>>>Buried Talents - Intriguing, but the ending left a bit to be desired.

>>> The Near Departed - Very short with a hilarious ending.

>>>Prey - A cross between Child's Play and Puppet Master, though it precedes both. It's very good, until the ending.

>>>Witch War - A strange poem-like piece (it's an audiobook, so I can't be certain whether or not it's a poem, though it certainly read like one).

>>>Dance of the Dead - No idea what was going on with this one

>>>Dress of White Silk - The main character was a bit whiny, but the story was good.

>>>Mad House - ZZZzzz...My reluctance to go back to this story is making it difficult to finish the book.

>>>The Funeral - Reused the main elements from The Near Departed without the quirky ending.

>>>From Shadowed Places - Couldn't keep my focus in any way shape or form.

>>>Person to Person - A bit on the obnoxious side, but rather amusing on the whole. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jun 17, 2015 |
Matheson, Richard
I am Legend

Horror
Richard Matheson’s original story of a man who finds himself alone in a world overrun by the “living” dead is a misanthrope’s fantasy. The plot has been done over and over again since without improvement. Matheson’s version is so practical in its details, it is almost a how-to book for an apocalyptic event. (I found myself taking mental notes just in case I ever ended up being the “one.”) However, if you read this as a simple story of what could go horribly wrong, you will be unseated when the narrative segues into the philosophical side of what it means to be the “other.” This novel could be a truly refreshing interlude for those who need a break from the turmoil of modern life or a timely read for a world threatened by the not so unrealistic consequences of power shift. You will want to read more of Richard Matheson.
Recommended May 2008
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
Injusticia ! Quien hizo la película debería sentir verguenza de haber cambiado el final original . Es mucho más entendible el final que se lee que el que se ve en pantalla. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I really, really like I Am Legend! Since three movies have been made using this story, the plot and characters have been changed dramatically. With that in mind, the written story was a breath of fresh air. There was no real chance of spoilers and I was surprisingly drawn to the protagonist, Robert Neville. I can only imagine what it would be like to be a lone human in a vampire-infested city but Mattheson did a great job of telling the tale.

The remaining half of this book was filled with even shorter stories than the title story. There were actually a couple that I enjoyed very much but the rest just sort of fizzled out. It was still worth it for the pleaseure I had in reading the first story, I Am Legend! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rasovsky, YuriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To HENRY KUTTNER with my grateful thanks for his help and encouragement on this book.
On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.
This is the work for a short story collection, which includes the novella "I Am Legend". Please do NOT combine it with the main "I Am Legend" work which just contains the novel.

Stories contained in this work are:
I am legend --
The funeral --
From shadowed places --
Person to person

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH IS NOT ALONE

Robert Neville may well be the only survivor of an incurable plague that has mutated every other man, woman, and child into bloodthirsty, nocturnal creatures who are determined to destroy him.

By day, he scavenges for food and supplies, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But all the while the infected lurk in the shadows, watching his every move, waiting for him to make a mistake....

I AM LEGEND

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031286504X, Paperback)

One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night. Except, that is, for Robert Neville. He alone appears to be immune to this disease, but the grim irony is that now he is the outsider. He is the legendary monster who must be destroyed because he is different from everyone else. Employing a stark, almost documentary style, Richard Matheson was one of the first writers to convince us that the undead can lurk in a local supermarket freezer as well as a remote Gothic castle. His influence on a generation of bestselling authors--including Stephen King and Dean Koontz--who first read him in their youth is, well, legendary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

As the last living person on Earth, Robert Neville spends his days hunting vampires and nights barricaded inside his home while the vampires come after him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,485,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible