I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I Am Legend (original 1954; edition 1997)

by Richard Matheson

5,179199863 (3.86)89
Member:Crazymamie
Title:I Am Legend
Authors:Richard Matheson
Info:Orb Books (1997), Edition: Third Printing, Paperback, 317 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Completed in 2012
Tags:vampires, dystopian, plague

I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson (1954)

The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Similar in many ways. Each stays in the head of a solitary hero, isolated by unnatural events beyond his control, struggling to hold onto his sanity and his sense of self.
    No Blade of Grass by John Christopher (crdf)
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (KatyBee)
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (VictoriaPL)

English (195)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (197)
A "classic" that just isn't that good. The movie was different, better. And I didn't like the movie either. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I did like that a 60 year old novella didn't seem dated. As I don't generally read horror, I can't objectively judge the title story or the bonus shorts. What I find horrifying is the things people do to each other. Supernatural stuff is boring, imo. I found this book... ah... whatever. Maybe the problem is that the author tried to be a little more subtle and literary. Or maybe it's just me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Awesome, wonderful - perhaps the best Vampire story ever. I haven't seen the movie w Will Smith yet (even tho' I'm a fan of the actor) - I know it'll be a disappointment.

I also really enjoyed the short stories included in this vol ... and the story w the tiki doll is one I remember from the old movie w Karen Black. I've *never* forgotten that movie!

I've since read more by Matheson - a Highly recommended author! ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rasovsky, YuriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To HENRY KUTTNER with my grateful thanks for his help and encouragement on this book.
On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.
This is the work for a short story collection, which includes the novella "I Am Legend". Please do NOT combine it with the main "I Am Legend" work which just contains the novel.

Stories contained in this work are:
I am legend --
The funeral --
From shadowed places --
Person to person

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH IS NOT ALONE

Robert Neville may well be the only survivor of an incurable plague that has mutated every other man, woman, and child into bloodthirsty, nocturnal creatures who are determined to destroy him.

By day, he scavenges for food and supplies, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But all the while the infected lurk in the shadows, watching his every move, waiting for him to make a mistake....

I AM LEGEND

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031286504X, Paperback)

One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night. Except, that is, for Robert Neville. He alone appears to be immune to this disease, but the grim irony is that now he is the outsider. He is the legendary monster who must be destroyed because he is different from everyone else. Employing a stark, almost documentary style, Richard Matheson was one of the first writers to convince us that the undead can lurk in a local supermarket freezer as well as a remote Gothic castle. His influence on a generation of bestselling authors--including Stephen King and Dean Koontz--who first read him in their youth is, well, legendary. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

As the last living person on Earth, Robert Neville spends his days hunting vampires and nights barricaded inside his home while the vampires come after him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,568,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible