The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long

The Silence of Our Friends (2012)

by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, Nate Powell (Illustrator)

Too all over the place. ( )
  paghababian | Jul 8, 2013 |
The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos and illustrated by Nate Powell, presents a dramatic visualization of the environment surrounding the "TSU Five" court case in 1967. Throughout the events and trial, two men and their families struggle to forge a working friendship that overcomes racial boundaries, distrust and fear. Engaging illustrations and thoughtful dialogue help to create an emotional and empathetic response. Good for book discussions. ( )
  MeganZ | May 24, 2013 |
A powerful, semi-autobiographical story of racial tensions in late 1960's Dallas that raises tough question and offers no easy answers. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Semi-autobiographical account of the civil rights movement, particularly an event that happened in Texas--one that isn't discussed much in the context of Civil Rights.

Not a bad book, but I didn't find this particularly engaging--the characters never popped for me, never became REAL, which is a shame in a book based on real events. Could be useful to supplement class discussions of the CR Movement and what was going out outside Rosa Parks and MLK Jr.

Not something I'd ordinarily pick up to read, but that's the point of the Hub Challenge, right? ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Long, M & Demonakos, J. (2012). The silence of our friends. (Ill. by N. Powell). New York: First Second/Roaring Brook Press. 201 pp. ISBN: 978-1-59643-618-3. (Paperback); $16.99.

Maybe one day we will have a graphic novel about a white and black family in Texas that is NOT set during the Civil Rights movement. Maybe we will argue about who makes the best barbecue. However, the book we DO have IS set during the Civil Rights movement and it is an important story, especially for this graphic novel format that allows readers to see in ways that text alone does not do as effectively, that this struggle was an equal opportunity employer. Based on events from Long’s family history, this novel tells the story of a news reporter working for a television station owned by a racist. In covering the news of the day, such as the expulsion of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee from Texas State University, Jack is rescued by Larry Thompson and schooled in how he should conduct himself in poor black neighborhoods. They become friends but friendship is very problematic for Jack when it threatens his ability to keep his job. Friendship during this time period in this southern location, made simple acts such as sharing meals fraught with consequences that many, especially whites from segregated communities, find difficult to understand. Filming a confrontation between police and college students, a police officer is shot. Long is called to testify and his own film is being used by the prosecution to convict the students. Will Long stay silent when he knows that the officer was shot by another police officer? Will he speak up and risk his livelihood? The book concludes with the death of Martin Luther King and closes with King’s words, “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” Unfortunately, we are still a long way away from the time in which Civil Rights books are not needed by students. Consequently, this book should find a good home, especially in middle schools across the country (do be warned that this novel does not sugarcoat the language). I hope it evokes discussion of what to do when our material comfort clashes with the fair and ethical treatment of others. I hope it also reminds students of the courage it took for both young and old alike to do what was right.
  edspicer | Nov 15, 2012 |

Mark Longprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demonakos, Jimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To John V. Long

This semi-autobiographical tale is set in 1968 Texas, against the backdrop of the fight for civil rights. A white family from a notoriously racist neighborhood in the suburbs and a black family from its poorest ward cross Houston's color line, overcoming humiliation, degradation, and violence to win the freedom of five black college students unjustly charged with the murder of a policeman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible