Spectator's Guide to World Religions by John…

Spectator's Guide to World Religions

by John Dickson

This is a good first introduction to some of the major (by number of followers) world religions. It does not teach you everything (it is a slim volume), but it gives a more than basic overview of 5 major religions.

It has provided me with some information I did not know and peaked my interest to explore individual books on several of the world’s religions. I had extremely little knowledge of some of the religions before reading this book.

The author is up front about his views and own religion and I believe presents all the religions well.

I did not think he fairly represented pluralism. Here pluralism is the idea that all religions are taking their own route to a higher understanding, and so the answers and even the questions are different, but are not so far apart. I found the author did not seem to take as much time to understand this approach and seems to dislike any scholars of this position, as he believes they think they know the higher truth that all religions are searching for and thus are pompous. I do not believe this is the case and feel the author did not give this view the research and understanding that he did to each of the religions.

Recommended as an introduction. ( )
  _Lana_ | Oct 11, 2010 |
My introduction to faith came not through family tradition, 'Sunday School', church, or any other formal means of religious instruction, but through the irresistible power of good food.

2005 Christian Book of the Year! Written in John Dickson's characteristically non-technical and readable style, this book urges the reader to become more than mere spectators when approaching the religions of the world. "In a multi-cultural world with an ever-growing diversity of ethnic and religious belief, the study of comparative religion, worldviews and value systems has never been more relevant. This handbook examines the claims of the world's five major religions - Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam and Christianity - what they teach, how they view the world, how they differ from one another and, most importantly, challenges the reader to see that these five religions cannot all be true ... Written for Year 10 and 11, the student handbook contains a range of stimulating and thought provoking activities designed to help the student wrestle with the claims of each religion"--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,451,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible