Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury

Like Dandelion Dust

by Karen Kingsbury

A peaceful town - an idyllic family, a phone call that threatens them all.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |
Heartwrenching, fast-moving story. Read it in two days, mostly on a plane. ( )
  Desdelyn | Jan 13, 2016 |
This is not just a story about an adoption gone bad. It is the story of two women who loved the same child enough to sacrifice for his safety, as she stated in the author's note at the end. In this book she really draws out the emotions of the characters. Things sometimes seem to move in slow motion as she tries to get you to feel what they must be feeling. She has an engaging writing style. However, this was not a page turner. It became intense only in the last quarter of the story. ( )
  kssonrisa | Aug 29, 2011 |
I couldn't finish this book. I suffered through about 100 pages and just couldn't take it anymore. I did skim the last few pages because I wanted to see how it ended, but I couldn't even force myself to read them.

This was the most self-righteous, ridiculous crap I have ever read. I was really looking forward to this book, the plot behind it was very interesting. But I could not handle all the religious whining that went on. "Oh, it's so unfair that my sister has a fun life and happy family when they don't go to church or bible study every week. That's not fair, blah blah blah." What really, really got me and made me stop reading this book was this quote : "God, please give Molly a reason to need you. I won't bring it up... so give her a reason, God. Please." So because it wasn't fair for Molly to love life and have a happy one without having to devote herself to church and bible study, she wants something bad to happen to her so she will have a reason to pray? Clearly the author is trying to make a point here. Devote your life to Christ or you shall be punished.

The other major problem I had with this book was the writing style. the author could not complete a sentence or give a character the control over their own thoughts without having to validate it. I can write a book, right? I can make spaghetti for dinner, right? Some examples:

Their attitude towards church was ok, wasn't it?
What they had was fine, wasn't it?
She still had a few Camels, right?
He'd been sorry before, right?
That had to be better, right?

and so on, and so on...

I really wanted to enjoy this book, that is why I kept reading it after twenty pages. It just wasn't possible. ( )
  jaidahsmommy | Jan 15, 2011 |
By far the worse book I have ever read, this book was preachy and poorly written. ( )
  Suzannah1 | Nov 8, 2010 |

Karen Kingsburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meijer-Muilwijk, RoelekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446199613, Mass Market Paperback)

Jack and Molly Campbell are right where they want to be, enjoying an idyllic life with their four-year-old son Joey, and the close family and friends who live in their small hometown just outside Atlanta. Then the phone call comes from the social worker the Campbells never expected to hear from again. Three states away in Ohio, Joey's biological father has just been released from prison. He is ready to start life over, but not without his son.
A judge's quick decision deals a devastating blow to the Campbell family: Joey must be returned to his biological parents. The day after the ruling, in the silent haze of grief and utter disbelief, they watch their son pick a dandelion and blow the feathery seeds into the wind.
In the days that follow the ruling, Jack Campbell has a desperate and dangerous thought. What if they can devise a way out? Then they could take Joey and simply disappear . . . LIKE DANDELION DUST.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

When Joey Campbell's biological father is released from prison, four-year-old Joey faces a life no one could've planned. His father wants custody, and a judge's quick decision deals a devastating blow to the Campbell family - Joey must be returned to his biological parents. In a haze of grief and disbelief in the days following the ruling, Jack Campbell conceives a desperate and dangeous thought - what if they can devise a way out? What if they take Joey and just disappear?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,312,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible