Fat,Forty,Fired: One Man's…

Fat,Forty,Fired: One Man's Frank,Funny,and Inspiring Account of… (2005)

by Nigel Marsh

A look at a male chaning from an eecutive to a parenting role. It is insightful, light and purposeful. An easy read and a good reflection of the hard work parents put in to guide their children into adulthood.
  Annabel1954 | Jan 7, 2014 |
An easy-going memoir of middle age. Well worth the price I paid for it. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
I thought this was a fun-to-read memoir about a male midlife crisis of sorts. Nigel Marsh, a UK expatriate living in Australia, turns forty, and due to corporate downsizing, decides to take a year off from the business treadmill to conquer some of his personal demons and better himself while reconnecting with his family & friends.

Marsh’s stand-up comic past is evident in his humorous, sometimes satirical, writing style. He made me laugh (and even cry a little) as he addressed his triumph over alcoholism, his swimming & running adventures, his Australian/British/Italian travels, his poignant relationship with his parents, and his growing understanding of how to become a better husband and father.

Nigel Marsh arrives at interesting conclusions as a result of his fortieth year hiatus … conclusions that may help define what it means to live (or not live) a “balanced life.” ( )
  KindleKapers | Feb 28, 2011 |
This book was not nearly as entertaining as I had expected. There were some funny bits and I really related to Nigel's struggles with the children, but overall I was quite disappointed. To begin with, the story is non-linear, jumping back and forth from past to present and making it a little confusing to read. There was a lot of the 'whinging pom' attempt at humour, which was also off putting. The majority of the time spent reading this, I was a bit bored. This is a take-it-or-leave-it kind of book. ( )
  seldombites | Sep 18, 2010 |
A funny and frank story of a man who tried to see what he has missed by being on the corporate hamster wheel.

a really good read which made me wonder what I could do if I could ever give up my work for a year. ( )
  ian02054 | Sep 20, 2009 |
For Kate, Alex, Harry, Grace and Eve
Always have, always will.
For Kate, Alex, Harry, Grace and Eve Always have, always will
Do you ever fantasise about moving to the country or a beach and downsizing?
Introduction Do you ever fantasise about moving to the country or a beach and downsizing?

"Homer Simpson meets Anthony Robbins. Marsh's honesty and humanity make Fat, Forty, and Fired essential reading for anyone whose life has ever hit a roadblock. Hilarious and inspiring." —Bob Rosner, best-selling author and internationally syndicated Working Wounded columnist

"An extremely funny and touching account of how someone can use humor and optimism to put adversity into perspective. Marsh's warm and distinctive view of life lights up every page and makes this a thoroughly enjoyable read." —Paul Wilson, author of The Little Book of Calm

"I can pinpoint the precise moment when I realized my transformation from 'executive dad' to 'guy who doesn't work' was complete." —Nigel Marsh

* Take Dave Barry, Jack Welch, Homer Simpson, and Ray Romano, mix in a family, a little weight gain, failure, introspection, and redemption, and you have Nigel Marsh's international best-selling autobiography.

"Homer Simpson meets Anthony Robbins. Marsh's honesty and humanity make Fat, Forty, and Fired essential reading for anyone whose life has ever hit a roadblock. Hilarious and inspiring." --Bob Rosner, best-selling author and internationally syndicated Working Wounded columnist

"An extremely funny and touching account of how someone can use humor and optimism to put adversity into perspective. Marsh's warm and distinctive view of life lights up every page and makes this a thoroughly enjoyable read." --Paul Wilson, author of The Little Book of Calm

"I can pinpoint the precise moment when I realized my transformation from 'executive dad' to 'guy who doesn't work' was complete." --Nigel Marsh

As a stressed husband and father of four small children under the age of eight, Nigel Marsh was enslaved to his mortgage, recuperating from an embarrassing surgery, and suddenly fired from his corporate career. Deciding to venture "off the treadmill" in search of a more meaningful and balanced existence, Marsh tackled the art of hands-on parenting while simultaneously training for an ocean swimming race and coming to terms with his alcoholism. Touching on topics ranging from marital sex (or lack thereof), dieting, and parenthood to work, love, football, religion, self-help books, and sharks, Marsh makes his U.S. debut after enjoying best-seller status in Australia and the U.K. with this provocative and funny book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Homer Simpson meets Anthony Robbins. Marsh's honesty and humanity make Fat, Forty, and Fired essential reading for anyone whose life has ever hit a roadblock. Hilarious and inspiring. --Bob Rosner, best-selling author and internationally syndicated Working Wounded columnistAn extremely funny and touching account of how someone can use humor and optimism to put adversity into perspective. Marsh's warm and distinctive view of life lights up every page and makes this a thoroughly enjoyable read. --Paul Wilson, author of The Little Book of CalmI can pinpoint the precise moment when I realized my transformation from 'executive dad' to 'guy who doesn't work' was complete. --Nigel MarshTake Dave Barry, Jack Welch, Homer Simpson, and Ray Romano, mix in a family, a little weight gain, failure, introspection, and redemption, and you have Nigel Marsh's international best-selling autobiography.As a stressed husband and father of four small children under the age of eight, Nigel Marsh was enslaved to his mortgage, recuperating from an embarrassing surgery, and suddenly fired from his corporate career. Deciding to venture off the treadmill in search of a more meaningful and balanced existence, Marsh tackled the art of hands-on parenting while simultaneously training for an ocean swimming race and coming to terms with his alcoholism. Touching on topics ranging from marital sex (or lack thereof), dieting, and parenthood to work, love, football, religion, self-help books, and sharks, Marsh makes his U.S. debut after enjoying best-seller status in Australia and the U.K. with this provocative and funny book.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,994,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible