Tales Our Abuelitas Told: A Hispanic…

Tales Our Abuelitas Told: A Hispanic Folktale Collection

by F. Isabel Campoy, Alma Flor Ada

Other authors: Felipe Dávalos (Illustrator), Vivi Escriva (Illustrator), Susan Guevara (Illustrator), Leyla Torres (Illustrator)

I greatly enjoyed this book because many of its tales were completely new to me, while some were familiar but with cultural differences from stories I'd heard previously. The forward was an enjoyable read about the importance of traditional literature, and the illustrations were pleasant and fitting.
  taraellis | Mar 11, 2016 |
This book is a great example of different types of literature that bring alive the folktales and legends that are prevalent in Hispanic culture. There are both stories and short stories and poetry in this book, which is a nice variety for middle readers.
  rwild13 | Feb 16, 2016 |
Short Summary: A collection of hispanic folktales with themes that many of us are familuar with (like happily ever after and once upon a time... but the spanish version)

personal reflection: This would be great to share to teach about foiktales and.or cultures. They are stories that are very relatable and still hold a sense of tradition from an unfamiliar culture.
  hkent32 | Jun 9, 2013 |
This book is a good example of folktales because it is pasted down from generation to generation in the Hispanic culture.
Theme: Teaches lessons
Level: Intermediate
  kaitlinc23 | Mar 12, 2010 |
I've never heard a single one of these stories before today, yet every one of them had elements that felt both oddly familiar and familiarly odd. I loved reading the stories and reading the stories of the stories. I carry away from this book a new sense of how interconnected we all are. ( )
1 vote debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

Campoy, F. Isabelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ada, Alma Flormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dávalos, FelipeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Escriva, ViviIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guevara, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torres, LeylaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Once upon a time, in a land far away...

These stories have journeyed far -- over mountains, deserts, and oceans -- carried by wind, passed on to us by our ancestors. Now they have found their way to you.

A sly fox, a bird of a thousand colors, a magical set of bagpipes, and an audacious young girl...A mixture of popular tales and literary lore, this anthology celebrates Hispanic culture and its many roots -- Indigenous, African, Arab, Hebrew, and Spanish.

F. Isabel Campoy and Alma Flor Ada have retold twelve beloved stories that embody the lively spirit and the rich heritage of Latino people.

The work of four leasing Latino artists and illustrators highlights this unforgettable collection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Presents the authors' retellings of twelve traditional tales accompanied by information on origins and different versions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible