Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings…

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Christopher Moore

Member:bibliovermis
Title:Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, humor, religion, animals, whales

Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (2003)

Recently added bycadolph, LitaVore, private library, JensBs, megannishi, Pamela_SC, UBC_SFS, Dohakoma, Vik_Books
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (greendragongirl, LunarEclipse)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (mysterymax)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (meggyweg)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (afyfe)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    The Prince of Whales by R. L. Fisher (MyriadBooks)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (sturlington)
    Schrodinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (GirlMisanthrope)
    Further Complications by Bryn Schurman (JessyHere)
    JessyHere: Similar wacky characters.
    Waiting for the Galactic Bus by Parke Godwin (infiniteletters)
    Escape from Heaven by J. Neil Schulman (infiniteletters)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (quilted_kat)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Iralell)
    Deep Wizardry by Diane Duane (MyriadBooks)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (infiniteletters)
    Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips (Staramber)
    Staramber: A little less surreal and a bit more sweet but the same pace and sense of the absurd.
    Vampire Taxonomy: Identifying and Interacting with the Modern-Day Bloodsucker by Meredith Woerner (meggyweg)
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore (meggyweg)

Meh...
I don't know what else to say about it.
I read it a few days ago. I'll forget it tomorrow. ( )
  Dohakoma | Apr 7, 2017 |
Christopher Moore is one of the most consistently funny authors working today. He’s written about hungry demons, turkey-bowling supermarket night crews, magic fruit bats, and a lonely sea beast named Steve. This book is about whales, but in typical Chris Moore fashion, it’s also about environmental issues, a scientist in love with his research assistant, Amelia Earhart, a rastafarian surfer dude from New Jersey, and some sentient pink goo that may be the earliest form of life on the planet. Somehow Moore ties this all together into an imminently readable, side-splittingly funny tale. I don’t know how he does it, but I’m sure glad that he does. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
A respected cetacean biologist, whales that aren't really whales, a Hawaiian Rastafarian from New Jersey, and a hot intern who isn't who (or what) she appears to be are just some of the many odd components of this story. But this one isn't just slapstick funny. This one has a point. It's informative. You could learn stuff (about whales and whale research). Well, a little, anyway.

I've read a few books by Christopher Moore, and although I always get a smile from them, the humor tends to be a bit too crude for my personal taste. It's his characters' in-your-face foul language, sex obsession, juvenile behavior, and fondness for frying their brains that rather puts me off. I really can't like or admire people like that, either in fact or fiction. This book is different. It's more Science Fiction than Fantasy, a bit more grounded in reality, and the characters are pursuing a worthwhile goal. Yeah, there is a fair amount of absurd silliness in Fluke. The characters are still pretty goofy, but they're a bit more believable than Moore's normal cast of clowns.

This is probably my favorite of Christopher Moore's books so far. I can recommend it to readers who have enjoyed Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett.

DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Did I read this? Or is this one of the ones I bailed on? Maybe I'll try again someday...
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I finished it, just to see what happens. This book was enjoyable at first, and the writing style kinda reminded me of the quirkiness of Tom Robbins, but ultimately ended up somewhat unsatisfying. There is a fantastical nature to the plot, which is fine with me except that you have to make the outcome plausible within the strictures of the fantasy in order for that to work. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
Fluke (flook) 1. A stroke of good luck
2. A chance occurrence; an accident
3. A barb or barbed head, as on a harpoon
4. Either of the two horizontally flattened divisions of the tail of a whale
For Jim Darling, Flip Nicklin, and Meagan Jones: extraordinary people who do extraordinary work.
Amy called the whale punkin.
"The science you don't know looks like magic," Kona says in Chapter 30. (Author's Notes)

Nathan Quinn, a marine biologist, goes out on a routine day-trip expedition to survey whales in the area. When he photographs one of the whale's flukes, he notices that the words "BITE ME" are spelled out in huge letters on the mammal's tail-fin. His curiosity and investigations uncover one mystery after another as he seeks the answers considering the source of this peculiarity.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006056668X, Paperback)

In his entertaining adventure-in-whale-researching, Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings, Nathan Quinn, a prominent marine biologist, has been conducting studies in Hawaii for years trying to unravel the secret of why humpback whales sing. During a typical day of data gathering, Nate believes his mind is failing: the subject whale has "Bite Me" scrawled across its tail. Events become even stranger as the self-proclaimed "action nerds," Nate, photographer Clay, their research assistant Amy, and Kona, a white Rasta (a Jewish kid from New Jersey), encounter sabotage to their data and equipment. They also observe increasingly bizarre whale behavior, including a phone call from the whale to their wealthy sponsor to ask that Nate bring it a hot pastrami and Swiss on rye, and discover both a thriving underwater city and the secret to what happened to Amelia Earhart.

Thoughtful, irreverent, and often hilarious, Moore has crafted a tale that contains a bit of the saga of declining whale populations due to hunting and habitat destruction, as well as his over-the-top, decadent wit as applied to scientific methodology and professional jealousies. Moore notes a pasty, rival scientist "looked like Death out for his after-dinner stroll before a busy night of e-mailing heart attacks and tumors to a few million lucky winners," and that killer whales (which are all named Kevin), are "just four tons of doofus dressed up like a police car." Smart, sincere, and a whale of a story, Fluke is terrific. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

Just why do humpback whales sing? That's the question that has marine behavioral biologist Nate Quinn and his crew poking, charting, recording, and photographing very big, wet, gray marine mammals. Until the extraordinary day when a whale lifts its tail into the air to display a cryptic message spelled out in foot-high letters: Bite me. Trouble is, Nate's beginning to wonder if he hasn't spent just a little too much time in the sun. 'Cause no one else on his team saw a thing, not his longtime partner, Clay Demodocus; not their saucy young research assistant; not even the spliff-puffing white-boy Rastaman Kona (ne Preston Applebaum). But later, when a roll of film returns from the lab missing the crucial tail shot, and his research facility is trashed, Nate realizes something very fishy indeed is going on. By turns witty, irreverent, fascinating, puzzling, and surprising, Fluke is Christopher Moore at his outrageous best.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,866,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible