Biting Cold: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel by…

Biting Cold: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (edition 2012)

by Chloe Neill

Member:BrandisBookMusings
Title:Biting Cold: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel
Authors:Chloe Neill
Info:NAL Trade (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

Biting Cold by Chloe Neill (Author)

English (27)  Piratical (1)  English (28)
Biting Cold
4 Stars

The Chicagoland Vampires series is definitely not great literature nor is it particularly well-written but for some reason it is addictive, like chocolate mousse - you know its bad for you but you can't help eating it anyway!

Biting Cold is the latest installment in the ongoing Merit/Ethan angst fest. Ethan is back to being a stubborn jackass who needs to be slapped upside the head. Thankfully, he eventually comes to his senses after Merit kicks his ass and the resultant make-up sessions are well worth the wait.

The plot moves at a solid pace with some interesting twists and turns, especially the introduction of an unexpected villain whose identity and motivation are quite compelling. The action starts virtually immediately and the resolution is both exciting and satisfying although the middle is a little too drawn out despite one or two nail-biting scenes.

Mallory's character development is the most annoying aspect of the book. In Drink Deep, Neill made a brave choice in this regard, but now seems to have backtracked while implementing a misplaced politically correct agenda, i.e. the redemption of a selfish and manipulative character who willfully committed evil acts. This is the woman who tried to turn Ethan into a mindless slave and brought disaster on the city, yet suddenly excuses are made as if she is not responsible for her choices. In what warped world is washing dishes for the shifters an appropriate punishment for her behavior. Evil should be destroyed, not redeemed. Likewise, Seth Tate, the villain for the past two installments, also undergoes a completely incomprehensible transformation and is turned into a contrite and selfless hero over night - seriously? It is disappointing that Neill took the easy way out with these characters.

The book ends with some closure but there are questions that remain unanswered. It will be interesting to see what happens next given the possible ramifications of the changes in Cadogen House and the implications for both the GP, the Red Guard and the rest of Chicago's vampires.

Narration: The new narrator, Sophie Eastlake, is a HUGE improvement on Cynthia Holloway. She is much more versatile with her intonation, inflection and voices. Her versions of Irish working class, upper class English snob, Texan drawl and Ukrainian mothering hen are all accomplished with equal aplomb! ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Ah, a new narrator! So no more sibilant S. And the Faeries have a more Gaelic accent. But now we have other problems. This narrator doesn't make as much effort to differentiate between the character voices, so it's hard to tell when two women are talking who's who. Margo used to have a slight French accent, now she doesn't.

At least one scene that was for titillation rather than advancing the plot. Could have been cut.

Bonus points for the American Football reference and the especially for acknowledging the Chicago/Green Bay rivalry...

-----

The trilogy comes to an end with a bang. Some surprises, but if you paid attention to the other five books, not so much. Still just a good time waster read, but then again, I'm stuck in this world right now.

I'm starting to wonder how Merit could be doing well as a grad student when she misses things, forgets she has powers, and in general just acts like a twit rather than an intelligent woman who also is a vampire. Seriously, Why did it take a half a book for her to push Ethan to the brink? Why did she not do that sooner? The primary plot line begun, really back in book 1, has closed now, though we have to see the final consequences as things progress.

As I stated, there was at least one scene that could have gone away, or at least shortened, as it didn't advance the plot. I sincerely hope they don't continue to appear in the later books.
Book 7, here I come. ( )
  gilroy | May 13, 2016 |
Merit, why does you keep putting up with his staling ? I think this is abusive to you, please don't take it anymore.
Frustrating, that is the theme of this book. Merit finally has her Ethan back, kicking biting and grumpy-ness all intact. So why aren't they bumping the headboard ? Because Ethan has issues again...zzz.......repeat, repeat, repeat. So, she picks up her sword and goes to battle risking her life to save him, and their relationship, if it is one?!?!?
The evil this time is a woozy, big winged and bad, bad, bad. He was released into the world thanks to our precious little power hungry Mallory. Best friend and distorter deluxe, what a winner she is. Well, the gang gets together and risks it all to try to save her, really why not ?!?!?! Everyone deserves a chance at redemption. Yeah sure.
Meanwhile the house is under the evil eye of the 'something council of vampire house' sorry I don't remember their name. They are old school, full or arcane rules and threats. 'you must be who we want or you are kicked out of our special club" is who they are bullies. Just what they vampy gang needs while trying to save humanity from the big bad evil flying around town.
Phew then finally some frustrations are relieved ! FINALLY ! The end of the books was nice with a light cliffhanger. It could have easily been the last book in the series. The next book will start a whole new 'life' for our characters.
Overall I enjoyed this edition to the series. I felt it was stretching out the old plot a bit too much, and did not like the whole relationship staling agin thing. I hope their future is adventurous. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I LIKED IT! Despite the mixed reviews, I rushed to read this latest book in the series just to see where everything was going. Wasn't disappointed at all. The author dotted her i's and crossed her t's just as I hoped she would and did it just the way I like it. Merit and Ethan finally got to the point we've all been hoping that they get and the story and plot were amazing. Awesome to see Tate again and to have the whole gang together. Even Mallory. LOL. Can1t to wait to read House Rules. :D ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Let me start off with saying I did jump the gun on this book and skipped "Drink Me", while still reading "Hard bitten". I was so excited to read how Ms. Neill was going to fix certain things that happened at the end of "Hard Bitten", that I could not wait to read this one. I was not disappointed! Loved it!

While I did find the premise of this installments villain a little too far out there, I did enjoy the personal character interactions. The book does an outstanding job of solidifying relationships, alliances and successfully manages to take an old well established vampire house into the future.

I can't wait to read the next installment. After I finish "Hard Bitten" and "Drink Me" ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |

Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined. And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or inhumans.

Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed. No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.

Turned into a vampire against her will, Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago's vampire underground. Now she is on the hunt, charging across the stark American midwest to tail a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,660,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible