No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston (2012)

A good book. At first I thought it would be mostly comedy and satire, but the author is serious about growing up black and the racism that exists in this country and doing something about it. Well written and the parts about the Angry Negro, How to be the Black Friend and the Black Employee are terrific. ( )
  annbury | Feb 19, 2015 |
I loved this book. I am 50 years old, I thought I thought I had the ins and outs of being black mastered. Nope. Age does not give you a pass. I learned so much from this book it caused me to shake my head and go how did I miss this? The chapters that I am truly fond of are: about black people swimming
"The Destruction of Afrikans and the U.S. Propoganda: A Middle School Paper."
"The (Next) Black President" must read for any black child who wants to be president.
and "How to Be The Black Employee" painfully funny.

Now if someone who is black and not a Ivy League graduate could write the next black comedic book, I would greatly appreciate it. :). ( )
  seki | Sep 8, 2014 |
This book is art how-to guide, part memoir, and part manifesto from a collective (menacing sounding!). It's not nearly as ranty as one might expect. I give it a touch over 3.5 stars for its perspective on modern life. I would have liked maybe a little more on the geeky stuff but maybe that's for another time. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
I can't tell you how much this book helped cheer me up by using satire when confronting many of the racial microaggressions (and not so "micro" aggressions) I have to deal with.

Whatever your race, go read this book.
Actually, if you're white, you really should read this book. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
I did not like this book. I found it offensive and it is hard to offend me. why do you need to know how to be black? I do not have a trove of positive things to say about this one so i will simply stop. ( )
  vtlucania | Jul 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062003216, Hardcover)

If You Don't Buy This Book, You're a Racist.

Have you ever been called "too black" or "not black enough"?

Have you ever befriended or worked with a black person?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, this book is for you.

To provide additional perspective, Baratunde assembled an award-winning Black Panel—three black women, three black men, and one white man (Christian Lander of Stuff White People Like)—and asked them such revealing questions as:

"When Did You First Realize You Were Black?"

"How Black Are You?"

"Can You Swim?"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:57 -0400)

Have you ever been called "too black" or "not black enough"? Have you ever befriended or worked with a black person? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this book is for you. Raised by a pro-black, Pan-Afrikan single mother during the crack years of 1980s Washington, DC, and educated at Sidwell Friends School and Harvard University, Baratunde Thurston has over thirty years' experience being black. Now, through stories of his politically inspired Nigerian name, the heroics of his hippie mother, the murder of his drug-abusing father, and other revelatory black details, he shares with readers of all colors his wisdom and expertise in how to be black. Beyond memoir, this guidebook offers practical advice on everything from "How to Be The Black Friend" to "How to Be The (Next) Black President" to "How to Celebrate Black History Month." To provide additional perspective, Baratunde assembled an award-winning Black Panel--three black women, three black men, and one white man (Christian Lander of Stuff White People Like)--and asked them such revealing questions as: "When Did You First Realize You Were Black?" ""How Black Are You?" "Can You Swim?" The result is a humorous, intelligent, and audacious guide that challenges and satirizes the so-called experts, purists, and racists who purport to speak for all black people. With honest storytelling and biting wit, Baratunde plots a path not just to blackness, but one open to anyone interested in simply "how to be."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,707,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible