The Boy Who Loved Words by Roni Schotter

The Boy Who Loved Words

by Roni Schotter

In my opinion this is a great book that gives a creative way to teach children new vocabulary. The language is very is very descriptive and paints a good picture for students while following along with the story, even without showing children the pictures. The writing was very creative and engaging. The author included sentences such as "the sound of words in his hears, the taste of them on his tongue" each sentence providing a new vocabulary word to further describe what the author is trying to portray. The illustrations do enhance the story and assist children in what is happening because the writing at times, maybe too complex for them to understand. The main message of this book is to inspire children to look for new words wherever they go to build up a "collection" or vocabulary like the one Selig has obtained.
  agassa1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
We used this book in our classrooms with our 3rd graders this year. It was part of our ENY ELA module 1. The main character searches for his purpose in the world. He is unlike most boys growing up- he has an extraordinary vocabulary, and he loves to "collect" words. This book is very rich with high level vocabulary, and I felt that it was a little high for most of my young students. The main message of the story is sweet and inspiring though. ( )
  HeidiJones | Feb 7, 2015 |
This children's book is about a boy who loves words. It is a story of how he finds his passion in life through words. He goes on an adventure where he discovers that life is not just about words, but the experiences you have through words. This book is an example of modern fantasy. ( )
  sarahetuemmler | Jan 20, 2015 |
I would use this story with the older age group because of how big the words become but I enjoy this book because it helps the students learn new words and to understand what they mean in order to use them in their writing. This would be a way to open up discussions for new words in their writings or word studies to find out what the words mean. ( )
  hollyegirard | Nov 29, 2014 |
Great book to teach the importance of vocabulary words. Wordsworth's mission was to share words to inspire others. The story shows readers how important and touching words can be. I could use this inspirational book in writers workshop to inspire my students how to use moving word choices in their writing. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 29, 2014 |

In this Parents' Choice Gold Award–winning book, Selig collects words, ones that stir his heart (Mama!) and ones that make him laugh (giggle). But what to do with so many luscious words? After helping a poet find the perfect words for his poem (lozenge, lemon, and licorice), he figures it out: His purpose is to spread the word to others. And so he begins to sprinkle, disburse, and broadcast them to people in need.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

Selig, who loves words and copies them on pieces of paper that he carries with him, goes on a trip to discover his purpose. Words. Selig collects them, ones that stir his heart (Mama!) and ones that make him laugh (giggle). But what to do with so many luscious words? After helping a poet find the perfect words for his poem (lozenge, lemon, and licorice), he figures it out: His purpose is to spread the word to others. And so he begins to sprinkle, disburse, and broadcast them to people in need.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,057,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible