What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth…

What Came Before He Shot Her (2006)

by Elizabeth George

Series: Lynley/Havers Mysteries (14)

Recently added byprivate library, briellenadyne, MaraBlaise, olegalCA, jsalmeron, marie63

English (37)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (41)
What Came before He Shot Her. Elizabeth George. 2006. Who would have ever thought I’d read a seven hundred page plus book on mixed-race immigrants in London? Not me. And I questioned the time I spent on this book most of the way through it. George is an excellent writer, and I enjoyed her style, and seeing how the British social services takes care of or tries to take care of troubled children. The pregnant wife of a policeman was gunned down in the middle of the day at her front door. The novel relates the events preceding the murder. The three Campbell children are left with their Kendra when their grandmother decides to go to Jamaica to be with her “man.” Kendra tries her best to take care of the trouble children whose mother is in a mental institution and whose father was killed by accident when he got in the way of a stray bullet during a drug exchange. Joel tries desperately to protect his older sister who becomes involved with drugs, illicit sex and shoplifting. His younger brother Toby is either mentally retarded are mentally troubled and is a magnet for bullies. The authorities though well-meaning are powerless against peer pressure and street culture. This was a fascinating but said book. ( )
  judithrs | Aug 17, 2014 |
Like many of the latter "Inspector Lynley Mysteries," What Came Before He Shot Her demonstrates George's desire to expand the series beyond being a series of mysteries solved by an English peer and his lower-class sidekick. In this case, the novel fills in the life of the young kid who killed Lynley's wife at the climax of With No One As Witness. It's okay. Like a lot of the latter Lynley novels, it's about 200 pages too long; I get that you're supposed to think this kid has no options in life, but there comes a point where the repeated horribleness of his life becomes monotonous to the reader. It also seems a bit contrived; one would hope that the world isn't as horrible as George paints it here, and the ways in which people fail to help our protagonist go a little too far at some points.

Also of note: there's lot of characters in this book who have failed to reach their potential and become criminals or dropouts... and they're all men. We're told all these seemingly thuggish men read philosophy or are great poets or whatever. They have potential they've failed to realize, and we're meant to feel sorry as a result. The criminal/thuggish women, though... they're just that way, sexual creatures apparently without even unrealized intellectual potential. It's very weird.
  Stevil2001 | Sep 7, 2013 |
It was a book that cought me from the first page and did not let go untill I read the final page... I saw it coming, the things that were happening in the book, but did not mind that at all. It was more that the book took me with it, along the path of the main characters and led me with them to the end.
For me certainly worth reading again. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
audiobook. Disappointed. Not usual Elizabeth George type story ( )
  shd | Aug 19, 2012 |
This is the second time I've read this novel, and I'm puzzled as to why I gave it 3 stars instead of 2. I will downgrade it this time. This is the 15th in the Inspector Lynley novels, and it is by far my least favorite. There is very little mystery here and only the briefest of mentions of the characters I know and like from the other novels. We learn all there is to know about the young boy who is accused of the murder in the previous book, With No One As Witness. I got tired of reading nothing but how poor and pitiful this boy is. Yes, I understand, but by the end of the book, I felt like I'd been beat over the head with it. It just isn't that good of a read. I would not recommend this one at all. ( )
1 vote hobbitprincess | Aug 18, 2012 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blankestijn, MargaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Better authentic mammon than a bogus god.
Louis MacNeice, Autumn Journal
For Grace Tsukiyama
Political Liberal
Creative spirit
Mom
Joel Campbell, eleven years old at the time, began his descent towards murder with a bus ride.
Beter een echte mammon dan een valse god
Louis MacNeice, Autumn Journal
Elizabeth George is the author.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060545631, Mass Market Paperback)

A kind and well-loved woman was brutally and inexplicably murdered. The pregnant wife of a respected police inspector, her death has left Scotland Yard shocked and searching for answers. Perhaps most horrifying of all, the trigger of the weapon that killed her was apparently pulled by a stranger . . . a twelve-year-old boy.

The anatomy of a murder, the story of a family in crisis, What Came Before He Shot Her is a powerful, emotional novel full of deep psychological insights, a novel that only the incomparable Elizabeth George could write.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:31 -0400)

Three abandoned children--Ness, who loses herself in drugs, alcohol, and fast boys; Toby, who harbors problems nobody is willing to acknowledge; and Joel, who forges a pact that sets a terrible crime into motion--become the focus of a murder investigation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,506,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible