Alan and Naomi by Myron Levoy

Alan and Naomi

by Myron Levoy

English (4)  German (1)  All (5)
Holy cow. ?The only author I can think of who is writing books like this today is Sonya Hartnett. ?áThe cover of this is not a good indication of the book as a whole. ?áAnd yet I'm very glad I read this (even though I've read *lots* of WWII hist. fic. for children and am, tbh, burnt out on it) and do highly recommend it. ?áInterested readers might also look to Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli.

?áI definitely appreciate the light moments in here, for example when Alan and the librarian pretend that he's picking out books by color because he's going to use them for his building projects.
And I like his teacher, and wish we saw more of her:

Adults are such pains in the neck. ?áSo condescending. ?áThey think children are children. ?áAnd they aren't; that's the secret. ?áSometimes, I forget..."" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
En teoria un libro para niños de 9 a 11 años pero que es interesante tambien para adultos. Una historia de una refujiada y el niño que la ayuda. Los personajes estan muy bien hechos y todo ocurre muy naturalmente. El niño tiene 12 años y empieza a ser abiertamente rebelde con sus padres por ejemplo que es mas o menos la edad. ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
I loved this book, with a caveat I mention below. It reminds me of books I read in late middle school, but a quite a bit heavier than what I got back then, and I appreciate the newer books (even one this old) for that reason. I wish that it had been published a dozen years earlier because I'd have loved it back when I was 10-12. If I was on a normal reading schedule, this is a book I could read in a day or two, and I think it would have been more satisfying to read it through in a sitting or two.

That said, the ending, the way it was done, made me long for this book to be a more in depth for adults book. Funny because I love kids’ books so much I don’t often feel that way. If I was 9-12 or 13, the target age, the entire book likely would have satisfied me. The subject matter was covered very well, but I wanted more. I’d like to read a for adults novel about these characters/situation.

The characters and the settings were done so well. Very evocative for me, of my childhood and books I read back then, even though the books I read and my personal experiences were wildly different than the characters and subject matter in this book.

The people were done well, especially the kids, but the adults too, and many were likeable, and those who weren’t were still understandable. I like the slight mystery element, and appreciated that it’s solved fairly early on.

Even though I am not buying books and should be spending zero dollars on books, I bought this and one other. I have to try to use some of my alternative libraries. More and more, my public library doesn’t have the books I want to read. That’s frustrating. Still, I cannot buy books any longer. I might make exceptions for some vegan books (to support the authors and the ethical stance) and possibly some other reference books as well, but not many and nothing else that I can think of offhand. I’m glad I read this though.

I can recommend it to both/all genders ages 9-13, particularly kids who are interested in history, and/or in children who’ve had trauma, in bullying and fitting in with peers in the middle school and upper elementary years, and friendship stories. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Nov 27, 2015 |
Heartbreakingly realistic, Alan and Naomi tracks the reluctant friendship between two very different kids. Alan's life is pretty normal until his mother forces him to befriend Naomi, who was traumatized during WWII. Alan's conflicted feelings about his friends, his family, and Naomi are at the heart of this book. ( )
  knitcrazybooknut | Dec 4, 2008 |

Myron Levoyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Felts, ShirleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Katz Family 5755

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0064402096, Paperback)

When Naomi, a refugee child from Nazi-occupied Paris who acts ‘crazy,’ moves into Alan Silverman’s building in New York, he does his best to avoid her. They slowly develop a deep and touching friendship "[which] is a joy [in] this warming story with its heart-wrenching ending. One of the more honest approaches to the repercussions of WW II" —SLJ.

1978 Boston Globe—Horn Book Award Honor Book for Fiction
1978 Fanfare Honor List (The Horn Book)
1978 Jane Addams Children’s Book Award Honor Book
Children's Books of 1977 (Library of Congress)
1969-1992 Best of the Best Books for Young Adults

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:12 -0400)

In New York of the 1940's a boy tries to befriend a girl traumatized by Nazi brutality in France.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,709,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible