Raising Yoder's Barn by Jane Yolen

Raising Yoder's Barn

by Jane Yolen

Lesson: How Do Communities Change?
  ccsdss | Feb 26, 2016 |
Raising Yoder's Barn is about an Amish family that loses their barn on a July night after being stuck by lightning during a thunderstorm. After the family realizes that their barn is no longer reliable they are told by Samuel Stulzfoot to tear it down and a new barn will be built. The next day, the entire Amish community helped to rebuild that family's barn. Personally I felt a connection with the whole Amish family because if something were to happen in my family we would all try our best to help each other out. This book can teach children about community and how to be supportive of others. ( )
  Nijania | Sep 24, 2014 |
Summary
This book is about a hard working Amish family who in one night loses everything when light strikes their barn and burns it to the ground. Their Amish neighbors come together to help them and together they work and rebuilt their livelihood.
Personal Reaction
I liked this book I thought some of the phrases sounded poetic. It was a great book to show hard work and how good it is to help one another also shed some light on the Amish culture.
Extension ideas
This book is a great way to show children how the Amish live and what it would be like to live so old fashion without the things we have today.
Many activities could be done like having the kids pretend to work and cook like Amish do.
  christa15 | Jul 14, 2014 |
ESL classroom use: proper nouns, sentence structure, adjectives. ( )
  kmacphee | Nov 20, 2011 |
This book is about an Amish family whose barn gets struck by lightning and catches fire. It is a story about how the Amish community helps out and raises the barn in just one day.

This book was kind of boring, but the art work was nice and it had a lot of visual words in it such as the boy getting pearly blisters that reminded him of the barley in his mother's soup.

In my opinion this book isn't really that good for small children. The only extension I could think of is to add a barn and animals to the block area or have children build a barn out of blocks.
  cricket2574 | Mar 24, 2010 |

Raising Yoder’s Barn is a great book about how the Amish community comes together to help a fellow member. Students can read this book and get an instant understanding that when anyone in the Amish community needs help all of the members come to help, it is not just about themselves they think of everyone. I would use this book in my classroom library for students to look at whenever they would like, so they can gain an understanding of the Amish.

After the barn and windmill burn on an Amish family's farm, Samuel Stulzfoot is summoned with plans for a new barn, and a strong community allegiance is shown in how quickly the neighbors respond in the aftermath of the destruction. Full-color illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

Eight-year-old Matthew tells what happens when fire destroys the barn on his family's farm and all the Amish neighbors come to rebuild it in one day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible