Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig

Blackbirds

by Chuck Wendig

English (58)  German (1)  All languages (59)
I can't quite decide if I liked this book. It was far more of a gangster-type novel (drug dealers out for revenge) than it was anything else, and that really isn't my style. I liked the main character--well, to the degree that she's likeable--and I was interested in what she could do and how she handled it. I very much enjoyed the interludes as info dumps, especially the interview where she discusses her life and her abilities.

The ending circled back around to speculative fiction. The origins of her powers came into question, along with the idea that there is some force guiding or watching her. I'd much rather read that than anything else. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This was barely a four for me. Let's be clear here. This is not an easy book to read. It is dark and very few good things happen in it. A lot of violence. None of these things bother me but something about this book kept me moving forward in the story. It is well written but not going to be for everyone. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Finished Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig. It was very dark. Several times I thought, "I can't read this." But I kept going.

It's disturbing, compelling, thought provoking. Miriam is in her twenties. She's had a tough life, due in large part to the fact that if her skin touches someone else's skin she sees how they will die.

The story is about fate and the possibility of changing fate. I gave it 3.5 stars. Not 4, because I will never read it again, but not 3 because I couldn't stop reading it. Would I recommend it. Conditionally, yes. ( )
  mysterymax | Jan 31, 2018 |
A dark, dark story, this did not drag for a second. The characters are scarily real. ( )
  quondame | Dec 2, 2017 |
I'm a fan of Chuck Wendig's blog and books on writing since I appreciate no nonsense types who swear more than I do.

There's tight writing, by which I mean complex characters written with a spare hand-I tend to skip overly descriptive narrations, a plot that races along, profanity, ghoulish thugs, and witty repartee. I like a book that makes me cringe, laugh, shake my head, and say"Oh Shit!"aloud, and compels me to read passages to the person next to me.

Favorite line "Carpet noodle." You'll have to read it to find out why.

Looking forward to Mockingbirds to be released in September.

Blackbirds synopsis:

"Miriam Black Knows How You’re Going To Die

She’s foreseen hundreds of car crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and suicides. She merely needs to touch you — skin to skin contact — and she knows how and when you’ll die.

But when Miriam hitches a ride with Louis Darling and shakes his hand, she sees that in thirty days Louis will be murdered while he calls her name. Louis will die because he met her, and she will be the next victim.

No matter what she does she can’t save Louis. But if she wants to stay alive, she’ll have to try"
  LynneMF | Aug 20, 2017 |
Car lights strobe through busted motel blinds.

When Miriam Black touches you, she can see how and when you’re going to die. This gives her the chance, in theory, to solve murders before they happen – but she discovers that fate is far more unyielding than suspected, and she soon grows to believe she cannot change the deaths she sees. She learns differently, over time, and learns that the sacrifices necessary to turn fate on its ear are bigger than expected. In the meantime, she exists as a kind of human vulture: instead of attempting to sway fate’s course she steps into it’s path, becoming a carrion bird (figuratively) who lurks at the deaths she knows are coming to steal from the dead. [Author's words from interview on Andrew Jack Writing Blog]

When she hitches a ride with truck driver Louis Darling and foresees his brutal murder, Miriam Black, who knows when people will die, must fight for her own life while she tries to save him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible