Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil (edition 2012)

by Wendy Higgins

Title:Sweet Evil
Authors:Wendy Higgins
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Young Teen Romance

Im not even sure where to start with this review. I enjoyed it, and read it obsessively until the very end. I pretty much ended up thinking "where the rest of the book?" by the end because really? Thats how she ended book one? Love/hate ending! I loved the cliffhanger but hated it.

I loved the innocence Anna portrayed the first part of the book and her eventual evolution into someone much more experienced. Shes experienced much, but is attempting to keep hold of some of her innocent. Brilliant. I must add that in the beginning I hated her innocence and lack of desire to rebel. Shes a teenager, for god sakes! How many of us did stupid things during that time? But, eventually she stops being so "goody-goody" as Anna puts it, and begins to do things with less than "goody" consequences. I loved this evolution, even with what I felt to be dramatic situations to show her innocence.

The only part of this book that has me slightly leery of the second installment to have a release date in July 2013, is the forming love triangle between Kop/Anna/Kai. Yes, people love these sorts of situations, and Anna needs it to develop more emotionally and be ready for anything more "committed" to Kai..but I honestly like Kop's character thus far and would hate to have to start getting through dialogue where Anna is fawning over him.

What do the other Nephs (Anna's friends) think of the moment Kai and Anna shared together? Marna and Ginger can see links between people, so what do they see when Kai isnt drinking? How will they deal with his lust once they are together(because they will be, or I will personally hunt down Wendy! :o). Oh YES, and what does Anna's father think of the son of lust both standing up to fight for her at the summit and their hand holding at the end when he rips them apart? Clearly, he understands whats going on, and I cannot WAIT to see how he deals with this..being a progressively modern demon and all, who wants change for Nephs amd himself.

And I cant wait to see how Jay and Veronica fix their issues, how they find out what Anna is, and how Wendy intends to continue using Jay/Veronica's characters during the time when inevitably they begin to see Anna's changes and for the final battle (come on, we all know its coming!)

In the end, loved all the minor details, character development was strong, a light spicing of romance that kept me page turning for when Kai finally admits to himself he loves Anna..

My only reason for 1 staring this from 4 stars? There was little detail on why these kids are "working" for their fathers. You learn thats what they are bred for, and their role in the demon hierarchy - but how did this evolve? Why is this so important? The Dukes could readily cause havoc on their own in their human bodies - why do they need children to raise for 16 YEARS before they get to play with them? Each has only one child at a time - why not multiples? I feel this was a huge plot hole.

Oh, and cant forget the impending (and sadly, confirmed) love triangle forming between Kop/Anna/Kai.

Hurry up and write me a SECOND installment, Wendy. I must have answers. Although, not to much hurrying, I lust for the same kind of quality of writing in the next book! ( )
  trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
First of all, do not let my rating fool you; this book was terrible.
Secondly, I recommend Sweet Evil to all the girls out there who enjoy terribly written stories on Wattpad; this one's for you!

Sweet Evil is about the children of the Dukes of demons (a.k.a. the big bad wolfs of the dark side). Though not fully human or demon, these children are trained since small to specialize in one sin and influence it among humans. Their motivation to influence is so their daddies don't kill them. But just like almost every YA book on earth, there is one odd little duckling who is just soooo special and doesn't even have to try.

Meet Anna.
She’s the daughter of an angel and a demon (which is rare) but does not know it until later in her life, since she was adopted by a women named Patti who kept Anna’s whole identity hidden. Anna is the most plain-looking and imperfect human in the world with the grossest freckle above her lip ewwww. Or at least that’s what we’re told. In truth, she’s gorgeous and has the two hottest guys falling for her and blah blah blah. She’s just so beautiful but oh no, she just doesn’t see it.

Meet Anna? More like Saint Anna.
You see, Anna is the most perfect human on planet earth. She’s never lied. Ever. Well, except the one time when:
"There were these girls in the bathroom talking about you, and for some reason, I don't know why, it upset me, and I told them…thatyouhadanSTD."
Don't worry, Saint Anna felt so bad she almost cried.

She has the perfect grades, is a virgin, has a strict policy against substance abuse, and is naive beyond belief. Do not misunderstand me; there is nothing wrong with having good grades, being a virgin, and not drinking alcohol or doing drugs (I actually encourage it), but the author kept reminding us of Anna’s purrrrfect nature. We get it, lady! Move on. What is not okay is being as naive as Anna. Anna oh-so graciously accepted a ‘non-alcoholic’ drink at a party from a boy after hearing the exact same boy talking about how he was gonna drug her (okay, he didn’t directly say it but come on! Read between the lines, use context clues, any idiot would’ve known!). Saint Anna trusts everyone, even a group of demon children who could possibly have gotten her killed after knowing the information she was so easily ready to give. But worst of all, Anna is a living waterfall; she cries and cries and cries and cries. There is nothing more annoying than a crier, more so when it’s the main lead.

Now meet Kaidan.
He is, as Anna said:
“…smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy.”
Extra t-worthy, y’all! He’s Brittish (which tthe autthor just HAD tto make known) and in a popular band. Butt *gasp* justt like Anna, he’s tthe child of tthe Duke (a.k.a. tthe lustt demon). His work for his fatther can bestt be summarized in one word: prosttituttion. He works tto gett anything and anyone in bed justt tto make daddy wolf proud.

[Okay, I’m going to stop with the extra T’s. I think you got the point.]

Let’s call him Sexdan.
Sexdan is broken and unloved. So of course *another gasp*, Saint Anna and Sexdan fall in love (surprise, surprise!). Four days was enough for Anna to fall in love and beg for Kaidan to take her virginity. Four days all alone. Four days on a road trip.

Maybe I should back up. Patti and Anna needed to desperately go to L.A., but sadly there was no money. So what happened? Patti, the adoptive mother who has been described as nothing but overprotective, comes up with the brilliant idea to send Anna on a road trip with Kaidan, the 17 year old son of lust who’s job is to sex every girl up. But it’s okay because Patti threatened Kaidan big time.
“I know I’m just a human woman, but so help me, if anything happens to her while she’s with you—”
“I assure you she’ll be in good hands.”
“Mm-hm, that’s part of what I’m worried about.” She pointed at his hands. “Hands off, mister.”

It’s evident her threats had an effect on the teenage boy who was excruciatingly close to taking Saint Anna's virginity during the road trip. Excellent parenting skills, Patti!

While the book didn’t have a bad plot, the romance (and the introduction of a second love interest) hindered its potential. So you might wonder, why rate it four stars?

Have you ever read those stories or books that are so terrible to the point where they become entertaining? That was the type of book Sweet Evil was for me. I was hooked, frustrated and entertained throughout the whole entire book. It reminded me of the good old days when I was 10 and used to loveeeeeee to read Wattpad stories (which are so bad that thinking about it makes me laugh until I cry). You know, those stories on Wattpad about the bad boy and the good girl falling in love with drama similar to the Kardashians? Yeah, those. I loved those stories, and even though it was terrible, Sweet Evil was wholeheartedly enjoyed by me.

So yes, I do admit my emotional side won the honor of rating. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
I found this book to be an interesting take on nephilims, i've always considered them to just be born from heavens angels and not from fallen angels. I really enjoyed this one the characters were believable to me and I can't help but sympathize with Anna to be torn between two different sides of oneself has to be difficult. she grew up not knowing what she was and had to deal with each of her developing powers herself which shows a strength of will that carries her threw the difficulties she comes across. I can't wait to read the rest of this series and see how things develop.
  shazzump | May 30, 2015 |
One word : KAYDEN !
It might be a little cliché but Kayden and Anna are one of the best fictional couples that I ever read about. The interior fight they have with their own feelings makes this particular story super delicious and addicting.
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
One word : KAYDEN !
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |

"Sweet southern girl Anna discovers at age sixteen that she is the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, the only one of her kind. As Anna struggles to fight the dark legacy of her father, she falls for the mysterious Kaidan Row, the ultimate bad boy. Forced to face her destiny, she must decide whether to embrace her halo or her horns"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible