Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil (edition 2012)

by Wendy Higgins

Member:psychobabble4u
Title:Sweet Evil
Authors:Wendy Higgins
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Young Teen Romance

First of all, do not let my rating fool you; this book was terrible.
Secondly, I recommend Sweet Evil to all the girls out there who enjoy terribly written stories on Wattpad; this one's for you!

Sweet Evil is about the children of the Dukes of demons (a.k.a. the big bad wolfs of the dark side). Though not fully human or demon, these children are trained since small to specialize in one sin and influence it among humans. Their motivation to influence is so their daddies don't kill them. But just like almost every YA book on earth, there is one odd little duckling who is just soooo special and doesn't even have to try.

Meet Anna.
She’s the daughter of an angel and a demon (which is rare) but does not know it until later in her life, since she was adopted by a women named Patti who kept Anna’s whole identity hidden. Anna is the most plain-looking and imperfect human in the world with the grossest freckle above her lip ewwww. Or at least that’s what we’re told. In truth, she’s gorgeous and has the two hottest guys falling for her and blah blah blah. She’s just so beautiful but oh no, she just doesn’t see it.

Meet Anna? More like Saint Anna.
You see, Anna is the most perfect human on planet earth. She’s never lied. Ever. Well, except the one time when:
"There were these girls in the bathroom talking about you, and for some reason, I don't know why, it upset me, and I told them…thatyouhadanSTD."
Don't worry, Saint Anna felt so bad she almost cried.

She has the perfect grades, is a virgin, has a strict policy against substance abuse, and is naive beyond belief. Do not misunderstand me; there is nothing wrong with having good grades, being a virgin, and not drinking alcohol or doing drugs (I actually encourage it), but the author kept reminding us of Anna’s purrrrfect nature. We get it, lady! Move on. What is not okay is being as naive as Anna. Anna oh-so graciously accepted a ‘non-alcoholic’ drink at a party from a boy after hearing the exact same boy talking about how he was gonna drug her (okay, he didn’t directly say it but come on! Read between the lines, use context clues, any idiot would’ve known!). Saint Anna trusts everyone, even a group of demon children who could possibly have gotten her killed after knowing the information she was so easily ready to give. But worst of all, Anna is a living waterfall; she cries and cries and cries and cries. There is nothing more annoying than a crier, more so when it’s the main lead.

Now meet Kaidan.
He is, as Anna said:
“…smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy.”
Extra t-worthy, y’all! He’s Brittish (which tthe autthor just HAD tto make known) and in a popular band. Butt *gasp* justt like Anna, he’s tthe child of tthe Duke (a.k.a. tthe lustt demon). His work for his fatther can bestt be summarized in one word: prosttituttion. He works tto gett anything and anyone in bed justt tto make daddy wolf proud.

[Okay, I’m going to stop with the extra T’s. I think you got the point.]

Let’s call him Sexdan.
Sexdan is broken and unloved. So of course *another gasp*, Saint Anna and Sexdan fall in love (surprise, surprise!). Four days was enough for Anna to fall in love and beg for Kaidan to take her virginity. Four days all alone. Four days on a road trip.

Maybe I should back up. Patti and Anna needed to desperately go to L.A., but sadly there was no money. So what happened? Patti, the adoptive mother who has been described as nothing but overprotective, comes up with the brilliant idea to send Anna on a road trip with Kaidan, the 17 year old son of lust who’s job is to sex every girl up. But it’s okay because Patti threatened Kaidan big time.
“I know I’m just a human woman, but so help me, if anything happens to her while she’s with you—”
“I assure you she’ll be in good hands.”
“Mm-hm, that’s part of what I’m worried about.” She pointed at his hands. “Hands off, mister.”

It’s evident her threats had an effect on the teenage boy who was excruciatingly close to taking Saint Anna's virginity during the road trip. Excellent parenting skills, Patti!

While the book didn’t have a bad plot, the romance (and the introduction of a second love interest) hindered its potential. So you might wonder, why rate it four stars?

Have you ever read those stories or books that are so terrible to the point where they become entertaining? That was the type of book Sweet Evil was for me. I was hooked, frustrated and entertained throughout the whole entire book. It reminded me of the good old days when I was 10 and used to loveeeeeee to read Wattpad stories (which are so bad that thinking about it makes me laugh until I cry). You know, those stories on Wattpad about the bad boy and the good girl falling in love with drama similar to the Kardashians? Yeah, those. I loved those stories, and even though it was terrible, Sweet Evil was wholeheartedly enjoyed by me.

So yes, I do admit my emotional side won the honor of rating. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
I found this book to be an interesting take on nephilims, i've always considered them to just be born from heavens angels and not from fallen angels. I really enjoyed this one the characters were believable to me and I can't help but sympathize with Anna to be torn between two different sides of oneself has to be difficult. she grew up not knowing what she was and had to deal with each of her developing powers herself which shows a strength of will that carries her threw the difficulties she comes across. I can't wait to read the rest of this series and see how things develop.
  shazzump | May 30, 2015 |
One word : KAYDEN !
It might be a little cliché but Kayden and Anna are one of the best fictional couples that I ever read about. The interior fight they have with their own feelings makes this particular story super delicious and addicting.
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |

"Sweet southern girl Anna discovers at age sixteen that she is the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, the only one of her kind. As Anna struggles to fight the dark legacy of her father, she falls for the mysterious Kaidan Row, the ultimate bad boy. Forced to face her destiny, she must decide whether to embrace her halo or her horns"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,432,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible