Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil (edition 2012)

by Wendy Higgins

Member:psychobabble4u
Title:Sweet Evil
Authors:Wendy Higgins
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Young Teen Romance

This review, along with others can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

Sweet Evil was good. I didn’t think I would like it, because the angel genre has been so overexposed lately, but this book brought a whole new twist to the story that was really nice. In this story, we’re focusing on the lives of the children of angels that were cast out of heaven. Those children are called “Nephilims”. The jobs of the Nephs, are to corrupt the human race in accordance to the seven deadly sins. Anna Whitt has always been the “good girl”, the girl who never gets in trouble. But, once she meets Kaidan Rowe, bad boy extraordinaire, everything in her life goes haywire.

I purchased the Audiobook a few months ago, and finally, last week I saw it just sitting there, so I took it with me to work. Worst idea ever. While I was pretending to work (*cough* Of course I was working *cough cough* *wink* wink* nudge* *nudge*), I had to choke down my laughter and resist the urge to dissolve into a puddle of emotions every time a romantic scene came up.

I absolutely adored the narrator of this book. Even if she was just one person, she could effectively do all the voices of the characters, and she nailed all of the accents as well.

Okay okay, back to the book. I really enjoyed the presence of Anna’s adoptive mom in the book. It was nice to see that although her real parents weren’t in the picture, Patti (her adoptive mom) really had a strong presence in Anna’s life. It didn’t go through the typical “all my parents are dead, I live my life however I want to” YA premise.

What’s the biggest part of this book? Anna and Kaiden’s relationship, OF COURSE.

Here are some lyrics that I just came up with, that I believe can totally describe Anna and Kaiden’s relationship. (Note: These lyrics may or may not resemble Taylor Swift’s song We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Just slightly)

I remember when we broke up the first time
Saying this is it, I've had enough, 'cause like
We haven't seen each other in a month
When you, said you, weren’t the relationship type, what?
Then you come around again and say
Baby, I want to de-virginize you and I swear I'm gonna lose control
Let me, remember how that lasted for a day
I say, I love you, we break up, I call you, I love you
Oooh we called it off again last night
But Oooh, this time I'm telling you, I'm telling you
We should get back get back get back back together
We should be together together together together forever
You go talk to no-one
To my friends, don’t talk to me
But we should get back get back get back get back back together

Okay, all mocking aside, there are probably three aspects of the story that I really disliked, and this was one of them. Kaidan and Anna’s on again, off again relationship was fine at first, but after a while it was just overkill for the story.

Also, I comprehend Kaidan’s the son of the duke of lust, so he’s like obligated to make people… “lusty” , but I find it weird that your job is to have sex with every female that moves. Just no.

Nevertheless, the dark, mysterious, British, Kaidan still manages to be a sexy beast, and win over the hearts (and virginities) of women everywhere.

“Can’t afford to be unattractive.”

The second aspect of the story that I disliked, was Anna’s characterization. I understand Anna’s been raised a certain way all her life, but you expect me to believe that she’s NEVER told a lie? Ever?

Do you also expect me to believe that she, in all seriousness, believes that there’s parental supervision at a rave? Really, Anna?

Her attitude towards everything always had me rolling my eyes. I couldn’t believe a girl her age was actually so gullible.

The last aspect of the story that I disliked, was the general usage of alcohol and drugs.

Anna is a 16 year-old, that looks 12 (that’s what we’re told in the story). You expect me to believe that she can get served in a bar? Especially when she consumes more alcohol than her body is supposed to handle? A likely story.

I liked when the other Nephs were introduced. It gave us a different insight on how the Nephs worked. I liked the introduction of Kopano, even if his personality wasn’t fully fleshed out in this book. I’m not sure how I feel about the love-triangle possibility yet, though.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the story for its general humor and overall message. It was full of a lot of beautifully expressed life-lessons, and even if you’re not a religious person, you’ll find yourself marveling at the different religious plot elements.

Overall, although I disliked some plot elements, and the characterization of a few characters, I did enjoy the story, and I’m waiting to get my hands on the next one.
4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I found this book to be an interesting take on nephilims, i've always considered them to just be born from heavens angels and not from fallen angels. I really enjoyed this one the characters were believable to me and I can't help but sympathize with Anna to be torn between two different sides of oneself has to be difficult. she grew up not knowing what she was and had to deal with each of her developing powers herself which shows a strength of will that carries her threw the difficulties she comes across. I can't wait to read the rest of this series and see how things develop.
  shazzump | May 30, 2015 |
One word : KAYDEN !
It might be a little cliché but Kayden and Anna are one of the best fictional couples that I ever read about. The interior fight they have with their own feelings makes this particular story super delicious and addicting.
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |

"Sweet southern girl Anna discovers at age sixteen that she is the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, the only one of her kind. As Anna struggles to fight the dark legacy of her father, she falls for the mysterious Kaidan Row, the ultimate bad boy. Forced to face her destiny, she must decide whether to embrace her halo or her horns"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible