Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil (edition 2012)

by Wendy Higgins

Member:psychobabble4u
Title:Sweet Evil
Authors:Wendy Higgins
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Recently added byJKPL, IrisCollins, MABoone, kit_kat227, MsBridgetReads, ChickensAreBrave, private library, RachKC
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Young Teen Romance

I completely enjoyed this book and finished it in record time. The characters are a diverse set and the story keeps you entertained and clinging for more. What I enjoyed most about the book was the relationship between Kaidan and Anna. Their relationship just hooked me from the start. This book might have a good amount of sweet but, with a cliff hanger ending, it also developed the evil. The story is a healthy combination of good and evil mixed with an epic love story that will have you racing for the next book.

(Favorite Quote)

"Even the worst eartly pain and heartache doesn't last into the heavenly realm. And it all serves a bigger purpose." ( )
  kit_kat227 | Jul 9, 2014 |
May Contain Slight Spoilers. I will hide many in the Spoiler, but just know, read at your own risk if you haven't read it already! lol I try not to give spoilers often, and when I do I try not to give away the whole story (especially the ending).

This book, I gave a 4.5/5.

When I went into this book, I didn't know what it was about and didn't really expect to like it. The title itself threw me off as well. That was one of the reasons I didn't want to read it. The other was that it had been over hyped on Booktube.

When I first picked the book up from the library, I was still iffy about the book and thought about taking it back a few times without reading it. When I finally decided to pick it up, I was glad I decided to read it. I had misunderstood what the title meant when I had originally saw it, but in reading the book, I understood why the title was what it is.

On rare occasions, fiction books will have me amazed and touch a certain part of my life and do things that have me saying/thinking: That fits me perfectly! There was a prayer in the book that Anna did that had me going back and praying it for my own life as well: I don't know what You'll have me do, or where You'll have me go, but I trust You. Please show me when it's time to act. Help me to recognize the signs. Speak to my heart and let me hear"

Me being the spiritual person that I am, I was reading this book and thinking: hm, this is a new way to look at the jobs of demons and how they may rank in their world. I knew each one had a job to do but this little fictional book gave me a new way of seeing things.

This book was very well written. I love Anna and Kaiden. The Tension and attraction between them, in my eyes, was perfect. Even though sometimes Kaiden was a bit much, Wendy made sure you understood why he had to be how he was.

The book, as wonderful as it was, wasn't a favorite and I got bored a couple times (I think it was more me than the book itself). That's why it only got 4.5/5 Stars.

I liked how, even when Anna struggled with her feelings for Kaiden, Wendy Higgins didn't drag those issues and feelings out over a bunch of pages, or full chapter. She allowed Anna to feel what she was feeling and got it done within a couple of pages, then just carried on with the story.

I generally tend to flock towards angel books, but some angel vs. demon books make me nervous because some people tend to take things too far so I steer clear. But this book, was perfectly done for me. It has made me want to open up a little more to some angels vs demons things. I've liked some other books that you had to deal with demon type of situations but never head on demon vs. angel, well, not to the extent this one was. I'm used to ones more along the line of the Embrace Series by Jessica Shirvington. You had your battles in there as well, but nothing like this. And the Embrace series is one of my favorites..No, there are no comparisons between the two, for me, they are totally different other than there being good angels vs. bad angels. I hope I am making myself clear. lol...For me, there is a bit of a difference. I guess some are just more obvious with what the angels vs. demons situations are called. :-)

I am not sure when I will go on to the second book, but I am looking forward to reading it. I am considering buying the next book [b:Sweet Peril|15768191|Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351223157s/15768191.jpg|21474080] along with [b:Sweet Evil|11808950|Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337613719s/11808950.jpg|16762455] for my shelf. If I enjoy [b:Sweet Peril|15768191|Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351223157s/15768191.jpg|21474080]then I will buy the third book[b:Sweet Reckoning|16007855|Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1381492410s/16007855.jpg|21773721] ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Anna is the poster child, goodie goodie girl. She pretty much hasn't done a bad or rotten thing in her life (so sickly sweet sometimes it makes me want to choke her). She finally commits her first bad deed shortly after meeting her teen heart throb Kaidan Rowe, son of the Demon of Lust. I found that bit a tad hard to believe...never told a lie in your life until that moment? Hmm I call shenanigans. Oh yes, and soon after she meets him is also when she learns that she is the daughter of a Guardian Angel and Fallen Angel.

Wendy Higgins takes the cliché 'why do good girls like bad boys' and runs with it in a new an interesting direction. Especially since it seems bad boy Kaidan may not want to be bad after all. I think this plays up to the idea that some girls that fall for the bad boys think they can change them. Now then! - let's mound oodles and oodles of obstacles in their path shall we? - because what romance is worth having unless it breaks your heart into teensy teenage pieces first. *evil laughter*

What I found most interesting about Sweet Evil were the twists on demons and their hierarchy as far as how they carry out their work here on the mortal plane. I wanted to know more about all of these elements, and just how Anna being the only Nephilim born of the two opposing angel factions was going to make her special. I have to comment that there were two particular scenes that I felt were very convenient information dumps on demon background. These were like interviews, so to speak - where she gets almost all her questions oh so easily answered. Even though these were extremely convenient they still managed to work well within the story.

In fact, when I thought about it, my biggest gripe was I felt that not enough time in Sweet Evil is spent on the angel/demon storyline aspect and that too much was spent on romantic teenage angst. This might be my own personal bias showing here in that I prefer romance take the backseat in the plot lines.

There were just these huge chunks of the book to me that were focused completely on Anna's mental and emotional state in regards to Kai. All of the swooning and agonizing over him was much too much for my tastes. Then throw in what looked like might be the possibility of a love triangle?...But as to that maybe there won't be - I guess readers shall just have to wait and see in the next book.

Essentially, the romance portion of this book took away some of my enjoyment only because it ruled the plot such that a lot of interesting things that could have been given attention were shooed to the side. For instance a certain angelic artifact...I was thinking *drumroll* now here is going to be something to spice things up - but I was a little let down in regards to that. However, Wiggins did a great job of setup for round two and I'm interested to know how things develop.

With all that said, Sweet Evil will definitely tantalize the taste buds of many a YA romance reader but might not be for those that are looking for something with more meat rather than teen heat to it. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

UGH my heart goes out for these two…4.5 BEAUTIFUL AMAZING STARS

Only reason I didn’t give this a 5 is the ending ruined me. It left me hanging….bad.

About Anna White

Oh sweet Anna daughter of the Duke of Substance Abuse (ok I actually laughed when I read that.) Love her. She is really an angel, sweet and naive at times. She has no idea of her nephilium background until she meets her Kaiden the son of the Duke of Lust I might add. She has only one true friend Jay that I could have swore was gay at first.

About Kaiden Rowe

“He was smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy.” – Anna Whitt

I couldn’t have said it better.

He is the son of Lust…literally so there is no wonder every woman on the planet wants to bonk him. He is also a drummer for the band Lascivious which only adds hot points. He is confident and mysterious…he is the love of Anna's life. AND, not to put him over the top, HAS A BRITISH ACCENT!

Soooo when Kaiden suggests taking Anna across country to visit her father and a dying nun…yep you guessed it sparks are bound to fly and hearts are bound to get broken. Kinda reminds me of the song “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus (yes the one where she is naked in the video lol).

I came in like a wrecking ball
I never hit so hard in love
All I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was break me
Yeah, you wreck me

“There was nothing healthy about desperately wanting something you couldn't have."
-Anna”

I admit the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am hoping and praying that the second installment in this series will give me more Kaiden and Anna :(, but all in all what a beautiful story Wendy. I can’t wait to get my hands on the other two.
  amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
Loved it!!!!! ( )
  ElaineWatkins | Mar 23, 2014 |

"Sweet southern girl Anna discovers at age sixteen that she is the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, the only one of her kind. As Anna struggles to fight the dark legacy of her father, she falls for the mysterious Kaidan Row, the ultimate bad boy. Forced to face her destiny, she must decide whether to embrace her halo or her horns"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,514,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible