Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil (edition 2012)

by Wendy Higgins

Member:psychobabble4u
Title:Sweet Evil
Authors:Wendy Higgins
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Young Teen Romance

At first Sweet Evil looks and sounds like just another story you may have read many times before, only its not. Anna isn't just another girl in a paranormal story that will accept anything if it means the lead boy will notice her, she isn't stupid or self centred or reckless. She hasn't just been thrown into a world far different than what she knew before without asking questions. No, Anna is a strong female character, who may let her heart lead a little but doesn't let it rule her or the choices she makes.

When I first so this was on Scribd I instantly added it to my library, but even so it wasn't until my friend Amanda over at Book Badger recommended it did I decided to just get it over and done with. And I wasn't at all expecting to love it as much as I did. At best I thought I would like it.

As already stated, Sweet Evil has such a unique story. Firstly, Anna has always known she was different so she isn't faced with seeing the world differently one day. However, she did not know that she was a daughter of a fallen angel. That would make for a common story right? well add the fact that the fallen angels are no ordinary fallen angels, but ones that represent the 7 (and more) deadly sins themselves in charge of corrupting the souls of mortals. I could tell you which is which, but that would be giving it away ;).

Instead I will talk about that characters. Anna is such a sweet, innocent and loyal girl that her character (apart from the daughter of a fallen angel part) is totally relatable. She has always known that Patti wasn't her real mum, but not once in the book do you get the felling she loved her any less, instead she is the most important person to her, like it should be. The relationship they have, goes far beyond just a mother and daughter bond, there is such a strong friendship and its so lovely to see. As well as having a strong bond with her surrogate mother, she also has Jay, her best friend. Although he doesn't know what she is or what she is capable of , he is such a well written character that you know without a shadow of a doubt, he would accept her anyway. He's funny, cocky and so protective, to the point where he will sacrifice something he would consider fun because it goes against Anna's beliefs. In short, I loved him.

Now we can get on to Kaidan, being the the main boy character in it and possible love interest, I know you are all dying to know about him right? well one word for you. SWOON!. Not only is he the bad boy but he's a band, I mean come on!!. I love him, I'm not even ashamed. I love his cocky and sarcastic nature. He may not be good for Anna from the off, but I think by the end of the series he could be changed for the better because of her. Kaidan and Anna are completely different but they have this attraction that is on a deeper level than you would expect and they just work together. In a twisted, awkward way. I can't wait to see how their friendship or more develops as the story goes on that's for sure.

This book was so much better than I thought it would be, I loved the idea of the deadly sins, I loved that the son's and daughters of the fallen angels inherited their persuasive skills shall we say, I loved the whole concept of this book and it just worked so well. The story flowed perfectly, everything progressed as it should do and Wendy Higgins did a great job of not only trying to create a world that we could picture easily ourselves, but characters we could find pieces of ourself in. It may not be for everyone, but its one of a kind story deserves to be given a shot.

Basically I just really enjoyed this book and I need to get my hands on the second. NOW!! Thank you Amanda for recommending it to me, you sure now how to pick them :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
DNF ( )
  Adilinaria | Sep 14, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this book. Absolutely love Kaidan. His personality and characterization is great. Can't wait to start the next one in the series.

I really enjoy all the background information on Nephilim and the auras. ( )
  forsakenfates | Aug 25, 2014 |
I completely enjoyed this book and finished it in record time. The characters are a diverse set and the story keeps you entertained and clinging for more. What I enjoyed most about the book was the relationship between Kaidan and Anna. Their relationship just hooked me from the start. This book might have a good amount of sweet but, with a cliff hanger ending, it also developed the evil. The story is a healthy combination of good and evil mixed with an epic love story that will have you racing for the next book.

(Favorite Quote)

"Even the worst eartly pain and heartache doesn't last into the heavenly realm. And it all serves a bigger purpose." ( )
  kit_kat227 | Jul 9, 2014 |
May Contain Slight Spoilers. I will hide many in the Spoiler, but just know, read at your own risk if you haven't read it already! lol I try not to give spoilers often, and when I do I try not to give away the whole story (especially the ending).

This book, I gave a 4.5/5.

When I went into this book, I didn't know what it was about and didn't really expect to like it. The title itself threw me off as well. That was one of the reasons I didn't want to read it. The other was that it had been over hyped on Booktube.

When I first picked the book up from the library, I was still iffy about the book and thought about taking it back a few times without reading it. When I finally decided to pick it up, I was glad I decided to read it. I had misunderstood what the title meant when I had originally saw it, but in reading the book, I understood why the title was what it is.

On rare occasions, fiction books will have me amazed and touch a certain part of my life and do things that have me saying/thinking: That fits me perfectly! There was a prayer in the book that Anna did that had me going back and praying it for my own life as well: I don't know what You'll have me do, or where You'll have me go, but I trust You. Please show me when it's time to act. Help me to recognize the signs. Speak to my heart and let me hear"

Me being the spiritual person that I am, I was reading this book and thinking: hm, this is a new way to look at the jobs of demons and how they may rank in their world. I knew each one had a job to do but this little fictional book gave me a new way of seeing things.

This book was very well written. I love Anna and Kaiden. The Tension and attraction between them, in my eyes, was perfect. Even though sometimes Kaiden was a bit much, Wendy made sure you understood why he had to be how he was.

The book, as wonderful as it was, wasn't a favorite and I got bored a couple times (I think it was more me than the book itself). That's why it only got 4.5/5 Stars.

I liked how, even when Anna struggled with her feelings for Kaiden, Wendy Higgins didn't drag those issues and feelings out over a bunch of pages, or full chapter. She allowed Anna to feel what she was feeling and got it done within a couple of pages, then just carried on with the story.

I generally tend to flock towards angel books, but some angel vs. demon books make me nervous because some people tend to take things too far so I steer clear. But this book, was perfectly done for me. It has made me want to open up a little more to some angels vs demons things. I've liked some other books that you had to deal with demon type of situations but never head on demon vs. angel, well, not to the extent this one was. I'm used to ones more along the line of the Embrace Series by Jessica Shirvington. You had your battles in there as well, but nothing like this. And the Embrace series is one of my favorites..No, there are no comparisons between the two, for me, they are totally different other than there being good angels vs. bad angels. I hope I am making myself clear. lol...For me, there is a bit of a difference. I guess some are just more obvious with what the angels vs. demons situations are called. :-)

I am not sure when I will go on to the second book, but I am looking forward to reading it. I am considering buying the next book [b:Sweet Peril|15768191|Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351223157s/15768191.jpg|21474080] along with [b:Sweet Evil|11808950|Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337613719s/11808950.jpg|16762455] for my shelf. If I enjoy [b:Sweet Peril|15768191|Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351223157s/15768191.jpg|21474080]then I will buy the third book[b:Sweet Reckoning|16007855|Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3)|Wendy Higgins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1381492410s/16007855.jpg|21773721] ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |

"Sweet southern girl Anna discovers at age sixteen that she is the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, the only one of her kind. As Anna struggles to fight the dark legacy of her father, she falls for the mysterious Kaidan Row, the ultimate bad boy. Forced to face her destiny, she must decide whether to embrace her halo or her horns"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible