Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil (edition 2012)

by Wendy Higgins

258None44,210 (4.2)4
Member:psychobabble4u
Title:Sweet Evil
Authors:Wendy Higgins
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Young Teen Romance

UGH my heart goes out for these two…4.5 BEAUTIFUL AMAZING STARS

Only reason I didn’t give this a 5 is the ending ruined me. It left me hanging….bad.

About Anna White

Oh sweet Anna daughter of the Duke of Substance Abuse (ok I actually laughed when I read that.) Love her. She is really an angel, sweet and naive at times. She has no idea of her nephilium background until she meets her Kaiden the son of the Duke of Lust I might add. She has only one true friend Jay that I could have swore was gay at first.

About Kaiden Rowe

“He was smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy.” – Anna Whitt

I couldn’t have said it better.

He is the son of Lust…literally so there is no wonder every woman on the planet wants to bonk him. He is also a drummer for the band Lascivious which only adds hot points. He is confident and mysterious…he is the love of Anna's life. AND, not to put him over the top, HAS A BRITISH ACCENT!

Soooo when Kaiden suggests taking Anna across country to visit her father and a dying nun…yep you guessed it sparks are bound to fly and hearts are bound to get broken. Kinda reminds me of the song “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus (yes the one where she is naked in the video lol).

I came in like a wrecking ball
I never hit so hard in love
All I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was break me
Yeah, you wreck me

“There was nothing healthy about desperately wanting something you couldn't have."
-Anna”

I admit the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am hoping and praying that the second installment in this series will give me more Kaiden and Anna :(, but all in all what a beautiful story Wendy. I can’t wait to get my hands on the other two.
  amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
Loved it!!!!! ( )
  ElaineWatkins | Mar 23, 2014 |
Let me start with this: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this book. I can't not give it 5 stars. It just totally won me over. And I couldn't put it down, finished it in one sitting :))

Okay, enough ranting, let me tell you what was so superb about it.

First, there was the story itself. It was unique, it was daring, and it was light at the same time. I haven't read anything quite like it, and I really appreciated that. It's difficult to write a unique story nowadays, what with all the thousands of different novels that pop up on the market..

Second, the story telling was enchanting. It make me love the book from the first page till the very last one. I can say that I breathed Sweet Evil from cover to cover. And what was more important was that I was with the characters every step of the way, feeling what they felt, seeing what they saw.

And last, but definitely not least: the characters.

*Anna was the lead girl, whose POV we read the entire time. She's sweet, and naturally good, even though she's the descendant of a demon. Her better half seems to have the advantage in her, which is why she's such a goody-two-shoes. I know some people feel irritated by her character, but I can say that I honestly loved her. She was very much like me in personality, and that pulled me real close to her.

*Kaiden, a.k.a. lover boy. Literally. He was the guy that every girl swooned after. Even Anna. The playboy, the lust-god, or demon. Or son of the lust demon. Anyway, he was cute the way he was in denial most of the time. But of course, I could easily see through his defenses. I was really impressed when he denied his nature for Anna. It was cute.

*Patti, Anna's adoptive mother was loving and caring and I really liked her. She was always there for Anna, even when Anna wasn't all that truthful.

*Kopano was my favorite guy here. He wasn't in the spotlight, he wasn't a girl magnet, and he definitely wasn't a playboy. He was cute and very outward, and outright delicious. He had a steady, open personality and I think I could see him beside Anna. Too bad she's got someone else on her heart. *sigh*

In conclusion, if you're into angel/demon stories, this one should definitely be on the top of your list! It was ah-mazing! ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
I wish I could say this book wasn't for me because I'm just not into YA paranormal romance, but that wouldn't be true. In fact, I quite enjoy this genre. Nothing beats a good love story for giving me all the warm and fuzzy feels, I say, and the best ones do just that. On the flip side, however, there are books like Sweet Evil that somehow manage to kill my mood by pushing all the wrong buttons. There were a couple things about it that I found offputting, though others might find trivial. Unfortunately for the characters Anna and Kai, the two of them simply come too close to being pet peeves of mine.

Pet peeve the first: a weepy, insecure female protagonist. I have no problems with Anna being the living embodiment of goodness (in fact, I admire her all the more for it) but naivete and innocence does not have to translate to neediness, ceaseless pining, crying or completely falling to pieces over a guy. Especially when the guy in question has done so little to deserve this kind of obsession. So many times I just wanted to shake her and ask her where is her self-respect.

Which brings me to pet peeve the second: male love interests that are pure scum, just wrapped in a pretty package. Take away Kaidan's good looks and hot accent and all you'll have left is arrogance and patronizing smugness as artificial as they come. I'm not even taking into account his life's work (literally!) to sleep with as many women as possible; seeing as he is the half-human son of the Demon of Lust, I'll just let that one slide as an ingrained part of his nature. Still, regardless of whether he can help it or not, most sane people tend to find that sort of behavior to be a huge turn off, which only goes to show, just how shallow is Anna?

Anyway, with that out of the way, now I can tell you about the things in the book that DID work for me. Sweet Evil offers an interesting take on angels and demons and how they interact with us mere mortals here on the earthly plane. It's a deliciously sordid affair involving the demons of sin and vices seizing the forms of men to have children with human women, resulting in the half-demon sons and daughters called Nephilim. The intricate system describing the hierarchy of fallen angels in this book shows how much care and effort was put into this aspect of the world building, proving Sweet Evil is not just about the romance, and that there is quite a lot of substance behind the story as well.

In spite of this, the plot flounders in many places for being too convenient and coincidental for my tastes, as in it's very obviously done for the sole purpose of forcing the characters right where the author wants them, because otherwise you know there would be no story. For example, Anna's demon father who has been behind bars for the last sixteen years suddenly has a parole hearing coming up, well-timed to be just right after Anna meets him for the first time. And then there is the part about Patti being a good mom, but of course what mother in her right mind would allow her teenage daughter to go on a road trip with a seventeen-year-old boy (son of the Demon of Lust, no less) just the two of them alone driving across the country and staying in hotels, to visit a total stranger in a penitentiary? It's just a little too hard to swallow.

I will give the story this though: at no point did I want to stop reading. That I was going to see the whole thing through was always a foregone conclusion, despite the character flaws and the hitches and holes in the plot. I was entertained, even if I felt zero sympathy for either Anna or Kaidan. Like I said, I had some pretty idiosyncratic reasons for why this book ultimately didn't work for me, but I can also see how other readers with a penchant for the young adult genre and paranormal romances may find plenty to like. ( )
  stefferoo | Jan 23, 2014 |
UGH.. my heart is breaking!! The roller-coaster relationship between Anna Witt and Kaidan Rowe tore me up. Drawn towards each other, yet fate keeps them separated. Wendy Higgins did such an amazing job drawing you into the story, better yet the relationship between Anna and Kaidan. I felt every emotion that Anna felt, the longing, the desperation, the love. This book was definitely deserving of the hype!! ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |

"Sweet southern girl Anna discovers at age sixteen that she is the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, the only one of her kind. As Anna struggles to fight the dark legacy of her father, she falls for the mysterious Kaidan Row, the ultimate bad boy. Forced to face her destiny, she must decide whether to embrace her halo or her horns"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible