The Little Prince by Antoine de…

The Little Prince (original 1943; edition 2000)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Author)

34,97963645 (4.24)2 / 803
An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.
Member:OJSB
Title:The Little Prince
Authors:Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2000), Edition: 1st, 96 pages

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1943)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Passion That Inspired the Little Prince by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry (rosylibrarian)
    Platero and I: An Andalusian Elegy by Juan Ramón Jiménez (caflores)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from the Ferret Chronicles by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    The Sandalwood Box: Folk Tales from Tadzhikistan by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    Mr. Bliss by J. R. R. Tolkien (ComposingComposer)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    Das cousas de Ramón Lamote by Paco Martín (cf66)
    cf66: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Louise von Franz (bertilak)
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    Grammar Is a Sweet, Gentle Song by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (6)
Elevenses (223)
Robin (3)
Africa (473)

English (517)  Spanish (54)  Italian (17)  French (10)  German (9)  Portuguese (Portugal) (7)  Catalan (5)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Chinese (1)  Arabic (1)  Russian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (637)
The first time I read this story I didn't quite get it. Mostly it was the graphic novel format that threw me (too much emphasis on the illustrations to the point of the words being ignored), so the traditional format with only a few pictures was much more amenable.

As much as this book moonlights as a story for children, it has some deeply resonent themes for adult readers as well. The theme that stood out for me the most was the extended metaphor about being a lone being, even with the realization of being surrounded by other people/planets/stars. While we may encounter momentary closeness with others, we are in actuality stranded in a desert of separation from everything around us. That's just the nature of the individual; we can bond with people, but we can't be exactly the same as them or we would lose ourselves in a desert of sameness. The metapphor is kind of double barrelled and strange like that. There are plenty of other extremely interesting themes throughout the book, if you only look hard enough and realize that things shouldn't always be taken at face value. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
J'ai complètement oublié comment ça fini! C'était mieux que je me souvenais... et c'est à dire quelque chose, parce que j'ai pensé que ce un livre merveilleux :) C'était le premier livre que j'ai lu en LingQ mais pas le dernière! Ce vraiment le meilleure site pour moi pour leer les langues étrangères qui je connais pas si bien :) Je peux lire français sans ça, mais mon experience et vraiment mieux quand je comprends tout! ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
In this brief tale, written perhaps for the child within each of us, Saint-Exupery packs in several simple-yet-profound observations about the progress of civilization, the human condition, and relationships. On his own planet, the little prince spends his days digging up baobab trees and protecting his little rose. After meeting so many men and seeing so many grown-ups – on other asteroids as well as on earth – he comes upon a whole row of rosebushes, realizing sadly that his little rose is neither unique nor precious. A fox appears, humbly requesting that the prince tame him, teaching him a few lessons about the relationship between close friends. No matter how many roses or foxes there are, no matter how many humans there are, once two spend time together, caring for one another, everything changes. The fox describes how sweet being tamed would be – waiting anxiously for a regular meeting, giddily anticipating the certain footsteps of a loved one. Of course there are millions of roses in the world – in the universe even – but the little prince has spent so much time cultivating this one little rose, selflessly protecting her from sheep and from the wind and from the sun. This one little rose, says the fox, means much more than any of the other roses merely by virtue of the time and love they’ve shared, and that ought always to be a matter of consequence. ( )
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
Ótimo; clássico. ( )
  claramenezes | Feb 14, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

"Il Piccolo Principe" è una di quelle letture che entrano nell'animo del lettore. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry con il suo stile semplice e poetico mette il lettore davanti ad una riflessione sul senso vero della vita e sull'importanza di coltivare i sentimenti. Una fiaba senza età e per ogni età, da leggere e rileggere.
Vi segnaliamo la pagina del blog di Liberrima in cui parliamo del racconto dello scrittore francese:

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Saint-Exupéry, Antoine deprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xancó, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children—although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Quodiam die, cum, sex annos natus essem, imaginem praeclare pictam in libro de silva quae integra dicitur vidi; qui liber inscribebatur: "Narratiunculae a vita ductae."
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You—only you—will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Only classical Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language translations. Please leave Regulus combined with Le Petit Prince, as it is *not* a classical text but a modern translation.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

El principito habita un pequeño asteroide, el B 612, el cual comparte con una flor vanidosa y tres volcanes. De allí parte de viaje por los planetas, y ?cae? en la Tierra, donde entabla una amistad entrañable con un aviador. Descubre que, separado de las cosas que daban sentido a su vida cotidiana, que requerían su cuidado y le proporcionaban bienestar, se siente más solo que nunca.Las conversaciones con el rey sin súbditos, el borracho que bebe para no avergonzarse de beber, etc., le demuestran que vivir aislado no tiene gracia, es ridículo, y no sirve para nada. Y más tarde, las charlas con el zorro le enseñan que quien entabla una relación es responsable para siempre de aquello que ha creado. Así, con este aprendizaje y abrumado por la melancolía, decide regresar a casa y nos deja la posibilidad de intuirlo cada noche en el cielo estrellado.Disfruta del contenido extra que te ofrece la Realidad Aumentada y descubre experiencias únicas que te enamorarán:? Música? Juegos? El universo del principito en 3D? Y mucho más

4 2003

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,871,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible