The Little Prince by Antoine de…

The Little Prince (original 1943; edition 1971)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Katharine Woods (Translator)

22,462None55 (4.28)1 / 487
Member:Genadiyax
Title:The Little Prince
Authors:Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Other authors:Katharine Woods (Translator)
Info:Harcourt Brace & Company (1971), Paperback
Tags:CLASSIC

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1943)

20th century (188) children (513) children's (748) children's book (107) children's books (147) children's fiction (130) children's literature (449) classic (526) classics (340) fable (103) fairy tales (113) fantasy (851) fiction (2,048) France (206) French (1,005) French language (79) French literature (482) German (77) illustrated (147) juvenile (85) kids (78) literature (330) love (77) novel (202) own (119) philosophy (421) read (310) to-read (116) translation (107) young adult (114)
1940s (4)
Unread books (1,065)
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Love Story Behind The Little Prince by Consuelo De Saint-Exupery (RosyLibrarian)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    Das cousas de Ramon Lamote by Paco Martin (panbiot)
    panbiot: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    The Sandalwood box: folk tales from Tadzhikistan; by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Louise Von Franz (bertilak)
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    La grammaire est une chanson douce by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.

English (293)  Spanish (17)  Italian (12)  French (8)  German (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (7)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Catalan (2)  Slovak (1)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (362)
It was alright. Very slight and no great insights. ( )
  jerhogan | Mar 27, 2014 |
What a cute little story ^^ ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
The narrator who is an airoplane pilot began talking about his dislikes about adults, he complains about the fact that they are too practical. He prefers the way children think because they are much more curious and interesting.

The plane of the narrator crash on the desert where he came to meet the little prince, a little child from another planet. They become friends and the Little Prince tells the narrator his adventures in six different planets and he also tell him the reason why he is on Earth. The Little Prince tells him stories about a king, a business man,a snake, a flower in the desert. a fox, etc...

Finally the Little Prince dedices to go back to his planet and the narrator explains how he misses his company and that's the main reason to explain why he decided to write the story about the Litlle Prince.
  Paatriciaa | Mar 24, 2014 |
Such a beautiful, poignant book. Meant for kids, but it touches the heart of adults too because it's so poignant. ( )
  CallMeChristina | Mar 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book it had a very deep meaning that surprised me to find in a children's book. I think it is important for kids to learn that what they see love and beauty in is what matters not making money, or ruling a kingdom, or drinking. I think this book shows how great a child's view of the world is, and how as an adult our views can be different and narrowed. I plan on using this in my classroom.
  krbarton | Mar 16, 2014 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Large sections of "The Little Prince" ought to capture the imagination of any child... [and it] will appeal to adults. And that is something.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Apr 6, 1943)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lerman, ShloymeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testot-Ferry, IreneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children - although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You--only you--will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Please don't combine Regulus with the Little Prince, as in general Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language editions.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible