The Little Prince by Antoine de…

The Little Prince (original 1943; edition 1971)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Katharine Woods (Translator)

26,13047042 (4.26)2 / 640
Member:Genadiyax
Title:The Little Prince
Authors:Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Other authors:Katharine Woods (Translator)
Info:Harcourt Brace & Company (1971), Paperback
Tags:CLASSIC

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Author) (1943)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Passion That Inspired the Little Prince by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry (rosylibrarian)
    Platero and I by Juan Ramon Jimenez (caflores)
    Mr. Bliss by J. R. R. Tolkien (NicoleSch)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    The Sandalwood Box: Folk Tales from Tadzhikistan by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    Das cousas de Ramon Lamote by Paco Martin (cf66)
    cf66: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Luise von Franz (bertilak)
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    La grammaire est une chanson douce by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (4)
Unread books (1,021)

English (376)  Spanish (37)  Italian (16)  French (8)  German (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (6)  Portuguese (4)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Slovak (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Russian (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (471)
I didn't read this book as a child. More's the pity because it's always interesting to read your childhood favorites as an adult and see how your experience of the work changes. However, I'm glad to have read this at this point all the same because I did end up enjoying it a fair amount.

We see the little prince on his planet, in his childhood prime. He's a thoughtful little one with a care for the world around him; he's experienced the life of things around him that have each inspired a seed of thought to bloom within him. Outside influence that is beautiful and yet naive in its own right lands upon his sphere of understanding and it sparks his subsequent journey.

As an adult peering into the little prince's journey, I found the bloom of remembrance more so than the vivid flash of new thoughts. I believe both are equally precious encounters and we're lucky whenever they grace us with their presence. The memory of equidistance, a launching point between childhood and adulthood; the feel of new curiosities and adults that felt like previously undiscovered planets all to themselves.

Prose that can bring up such remembrance can be very endearing and I enjoyed Saint-Exupéry's style because of this. I think if this had been a revisitation for me rather than a first time read it would probably have been a childhood favorite and translated as such in my rating. As it is, it was appreciated and refreshing. A lovely look at both author and the planet of childhood. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
This is one of the few books that my dad read to my sister and me more than once. I always liked it, (except for the short chapters because we'd have to beg him for another chapter after each one,) but this is my first time reading it as an adult. I decided to reread it because I have recently become a fan of Rachel Portman's and have been listening to all of her music that I can find. Her Operatic adaptation of The Little Prince is beautiful and, overall, it stays true to the book. (I haven't seen the movie yet and I've only listened to the opera, but I'd say from the movie trailers and the libretto of the opera, that the opera is a much truer adaptation then the film.)

I still liked the book a lot, (for quite a few of the parts I could hear the opera singing along with the words, that's how close Rachel Portman stayed to the book,) but now, as an adult, I'm not simply going along with a curious story of a boy who loves a rose setting off to explore the universe, and meeting a pilot. The story is still there, but now I'm trying so hard to see the messages and themes that are hidden in the work. I almost feel there's an allegory about a little boy who was starting to learn more about the world, and didn't like what he learned. Or about a father who's little boy died, and so would never grow up. In order to keep his childish innocence, The Little Prince had to go back to his planet, but how could a bite from a venomous snake send him back to his planet, unless the true meaning was that the bite would send him to Heaven? Despite all of my puzzling, I do not know for certain what this story means. There are a lot of really sweet bits of wisdom that are hard to come by in this world, and I believe there is a deeper meaning under the words, but I just can't figure out what that is.

The two things I didn't like as well in this book was, first, the multiple times that the human body is referred to as a shell that can be cast off. I used to listen to, or read, those kinds of comments without trouble but, and I can't remember if it was an article I read or a video I watched, not that long ago I had it pointed out that the bodies we have will one day be risen and glorified on the last day, and to call it a shell is to disregard the work of God. The other thing I didn't like was the frustratingly open ending. Just let the little prince be happy on his planet with a safe rose for goodness sake. Why can't he use a thin branch or reed from one of the baobab trees to create a strap for the muzzle? Or better yet, just don't have had the pilot have forgotten to draw the muzzle's strap in the first place.

Even though this book was somewhat frustrating, I still did like it overall reading it again as an adult. ( )
  NicoleSch | Sep 18, 2016 |
"One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eyes."

This is such a wonderful book.
I can't believe I've never read it before now! ( )
  mleivers | Aug 29, 2016 |
I read this some time ago (maybe when I was in high school) then read it to the kids last year. I really enjoyed it, though I think it went over the kids' heads.
  Amelia_Smith | Aug 28, 2016 |
Classic's Discussion
  EmLu | Aug 10, 2016 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

"Il Piccolo Principe" è una di quelle letture che entrano nell'animo del lettore. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry con il suo stile semplice e poetico mette il lettore davanti ad una riflessione sul senso vero della vita e sull'importanza di coltivare i sentimenti. Una fiaba senza età e per ogni età, da leggere e rileggere.
Vi segnaliamo la pagina del blog di Liberrima in cui parliamo del racconto dello scrittore francese:

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Large sections of "The Little Prince" ought to capture the imagination of any child... [and it] will appeal to adults. And that is something.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Apr 6, 1943)

Saint-Exupéry, Antoine deAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xancó, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children—although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Quodiam die, cum, sex annos natus essem, imaginem praeclare pictam in libro de silva quae integra dicitur vidi; qui liber inscribebatur: "Narratiunculae a vita ductae."
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You—only you—will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Please don't combine Regulus with the Little Prince, as in general Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language editions.
Only classical Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language translations.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

El principito habita un pequeño asteroide, el B 612, el cual comparte con una flor vanidosa y tres volcanes. De allí parte de viaje por los planetas, y ?cae? en la Tierra, donde entabla una amistad entrañable con un aviador. Descubre que, separado de las cosas que daban sentido a su vida cotidiana, que requerían su cuidado y le proporcionaban bienestar, se siente más solo que nunca.Las conversaciones con el rey sin súbditos, el borracho que bebe para no avergonzarse de beber, etc., le demuestran que vivir aislado no tiene gracia, es ridículo, y no sirve para nada. Y más tarde, las charlas con el zorro le enseñan que quien entabla una relación es responsable para siempre de aquello que ha creado. Así, con este aprendizaje y abrumado por la melancolía, decide regresar a casa y nos deja la posibilidad de intuirlo cada noche en el cielo estrellado.Disfruta del contenido extra que te ofrece la Realidad Aumentada y descubre experiencias únicas que te enamorarán:? Música? Juegos? El universo del principito en 3D? Y mucho más

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,222,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible