Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Little Prince by Antoine de…

The Little Prince (edition 1971)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Katharine Woods (Translator)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
24,57643344 (4.26)2 / 576
Title:The Little Prince
Authors:Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Other authors:Katharine Woods (Translator)
Info:Harcourt Brace & Company (1971), Paperback
Collections:Your library

Work details

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

  1. 122
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
  2. 92
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
  3. 60
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
  4. 50
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
  5. 40
    The Tale of the Rose: The Passion That Inspired the Little Prince by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry (rosylibrarian)
  6. 10
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
  7. 00
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
  8. 00
    The Sandalwood Box: Folk Tales from Tadzhikistan by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
  9. 00
    Das cousas de Ramon Lamote by Paco Martin (panbiot)
    panbiot: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
  10. 11
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
  11. 00
    Platero and I by Juan Ramon Jimenez (caflores)
  12. 01
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Luise von Franz (bertilak)
  13. 01
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
  14. 02
    La grammaire est une chanson douce by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (4)
Unread books (1,146)

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (346)  Spanish (35)  Italian (13)  French (8)  German (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (6)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Slovak (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (434)
Showing 1-5 of 346 (next | show all)
I didn't know what to expect with this book, but it was so good! So cute with an unexpected ending. The illustration were gorgeous. I really, really liked the book and will probably read it again. Definitely worth the quick read. ( )
  Beammey | Nov 27, 2015 |
One of my favorite books of all time. Ageless. I read it at least once a year and buy copies in bulk to give as gifts to children in my life. ( )
  Glorydaze | Nov 26, 2015 |
Reading again....“People where you live, the little prince said, grow five thousand roses in one garden... Yet they don't find what they're looking for... And yet what they're looking for could be found in a single rose.” ( )
1 vote AR_bookbird | Nov 20, 2015 |
Lovely. I feel a little cheated for my childhood self because I know I would have loved it. But i also know the once-child adult me got so much out of it anyway. This seems like a great book to be read aloud. ( )
1 vote Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele

Ich liebe dieses Buch. Beziehungsweise Büchleich, denn mit nichtmal 100 Seiten ist die Geschichte um den kleinen Prinzen ja doch eher eine Kurzgeschichte. Aber egal, ich liebe Antoine de Saint-Exupérys „Der kleine Prinz“ seit ich diese Geschichte als Kind zum ersten Mal gelesen habe (damals in der schon reichlich zerfledderten Taschenbuchausgabe meiner Mutter, die ich vielleicht, ganz vielleicht, danach einfach in mein Regal gestellt habe ;) ). Und diese Ausgabe aus dem Arche Literaturverlag ist nochmal einzusätzlicher Hingucker.

Das großformatige Buch glänzt nicht nur äußerlich durch Leineneinband und Golddruck, sondern vor allem natürlich innerlich. Zum einen ist es großzügig mit den farbig illustrierten Originalzeichnungen bebildert und zum anderen kann es, meiner Meinung nach, auch durch die Neuübersetzung aus der Feder von Hans Magnus Enzensberger definitiv punkten.

Und natürlich ist die Erzählung einfach wundervoll. Der kleine Prinz und seine Geschichte sind zauberhaft, sprachlich wie inhaltlich, und brauchen daher nicht lang, um den Leser – egal in welchem Alter – voll und ganz in ihren Bann zu schlagen. „Der kleine Prinz“ ist eins dieser Bücher, die man immer wieder, ein ganzes Leben lang, lesen kann und von denen man jedes Mal eine andere, immer aber eine passende Botschaft mitnehmen wird.

Manche sagen, „Der kleine Prinz“ sei ein Kinderbuch. Andere, dass er eben keins sei. Ich finde, er ist ein Buch für jeden, der weiß, wie es ist Kind zu sein – egal ob deshalb, weil man selbst gerade Kind IST oder weil man sich daran zurückerinnern kann, wie es WAR Kind zu sein. Klar, für Kinder werden viele der philosophischeren Momente in diesem Buch vielleicht nicht so klar sein, sie werden das Buch anders sehen, einfach, weil sie den Rosen und Füchsen ihres Lebens noch nicht begegnet sind, aber man muss dieses Buch ja auch nicht in all seiner philosophischen Tiefe ausschöpfen, nur um es genießen zu können ;)

Die Geschichte vom kleinen Prinzen, der von seinem winzigen Planeten, Asteroid B 612, mit drei kniehohen Vulkanen und einer eben so schönen wie eitlen Rose aus aufbricht und sich auf der Suche nach einem Freund auf eine Reise quer durchs All begibt, ist jedenfalls völlig zu Recht zu einem wahren Klassiker geworden und jedem, der dieses Buch aus unerfindlichen Gründen noch nicht gelesen hat, kann ich nur raten es schleunigst zu tun. ( )
1 vote FiliaLibri | Nov 10, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 346 (next | show all)
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com
"Il Piccolo Principe" è una di quelle letture che entrano nell'animo del lettore. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry con il suo stile semplice e poetico mette il lettore davanti ad una riflessione sul senso vero della vita e sull'importanza di coltivare i sentimenti. Una fiaba senza età e per ogni età, da leggere e rileggere.
Vi segnaliamo la pagina del blog di Liberrima in cui parliamo del racconto dello scrittore francese:

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)
"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.
Large sections of "The Little Prince" ought to capture the imagination of any child... [and it] will appeal to adults. And that is something.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Apr 6, 1943)

» Add other authors (107 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Antoine de Saint-Exupéryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leitgeb, GreteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leitgeb, JosefTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lerman, ShloymeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Machado, Álvaro ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testot-Ferry, IreneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varela, Joana MoraisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children—although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
First words
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You—only you—will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Please don't combine Regulus with the Little Prince, as in general Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language editions.
Publisher's editors
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

(see all 9 descriptions)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 25 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers


Average: (4.26)
0.5 10
1 50
1.5 15
2 223
2.5 49
3 723
3.5 152
4 1525
4.5 246
5 2972


4 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Penguin Australia

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.


Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible