The Little Prince by Antoine de…

The Little Prince (edition 1971)

by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Katharine Woods (Translator)

24,15641045 (4.26)2 / 560
Member:Genadiyax
Title:The Little Prince
Authors:Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Other authors:Katharine Woods (Translator)
Info:Harcourt Brace & Company (1971), Paperback
Tags:CLASSIC

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Passion That Inspired the Little Prince by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry (rosylibrarian)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    Platero and I by Juan Ramon Jimenez (caflores)
    The Sandalwood box: folk tales from Tadzhikistan; by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    Das cousas de Ramon Lamote by Paco Martin (panbiot)
    panbiot: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Luise von Franz (bertilak)
    La grammaire est une chanson douce by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (4)
Unread books (1,157)

English (331)  Spanish (26)  Italian (13)  German (8)  French (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (6)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Slovak (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (410)
When I was a teen I loved The Little Prince. It was one of my comfort reads, and I turned its pages many, many times. My daughter wanted me to read it to her and I was happy to. But I'm sorry to say I was disappointed. I don't know if my memories are nostalgically rosy, or I've become more cynical, or it's just not really a suitable book for kids. But reading it aloud was tedious. The sentences are not smooth, or at least they didn't feel so coming off my tongue. It might be the translation, I'm sure it's more lyrical in the original. The story jumps back and forth with little explanation, and it was quite confusing for my four-year-old. It begins with the author (who is a pilot) describing how as a child he made drawings which grown-ups could not understand, then jumps to an incident when as an adult he crashed his airplane in the desert and met a child wandering there alone. Their first meeting is a conversation about a drawing of a sheep the Little Prince wants. The author tries to find out what the Little Prince is doing in the desert, where he came from, why he wants a sheep, etc. but he never gets a straight answer and has to piece it all together.

It turns out the Little Prince is a visitor from a star, a little planet far away. Rebuked by a vain, proud rose he cares for (yes, the flower talks) he runs away to visit other planets. He meets grown-ups obsessed with singular occupations whose purpose make little sense to the Little Prince. He applies a child's logic and perspective to everything and shows the reader how foolish grown-up concerns can be. He learns some wisdom about friendship from a fox, and teaches the pilot his pearls of wisdom. The shining message I glean from The Little Prince is about the importance of friendship, about the value of things you love. My favorite quote from the book sums it up very well: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

I'm trying to forget what it was like reading this to a kid so I can revisit it once more and recover the appreciation I used to have for it.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
2 vote jeane | Jul 11, 2015 |
Cynic-buster. 'nuff said. ( )
2 vote | meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
There are so many things in life that we take for granted, that we forget to once in a while stop and smell the roses.

I first decided to want to read this book after watching an episode of LOST with the same name. Granted, there are a number of literary references in the TV show, but this was one of the ones that I was completely unfamiliar with. And now, a few years later, I have finally taken the time to read a classic children's tale of feeling lost and ultimately finding oneself.

I'm sure there are many interpretations of how Le Petit Prince was meant to be read as, but I'll stick to my own guns. I see it as a story on how to look at the world. There are different types of people out there, either those who think they own everything, those who are too serious, those who don't care, and those who care for all others but themselves. And it only takes the innocence, the naivety, of a child. Why are grown ups so very weird? It's because we've lost that innocence.

I'd recommend this book for any grown-up who has forgotten not to take life too seriously. Everything is ephemeral, is it not? Enjoy the simple pleasures in life, and treasure those little princes or princesses that inspire us. ( )
1 vote jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I'm 18 and just reading this book for the first time.

Had I read it as a child, I think that my review would have been different. I think that I would have given it the highest of five stars. I would have been comforted by memories of my mom reading to me in the hallway as I fell asleep, and my dad acting out the voice of the Little Prince, and my sister and I fighting over who likes the Little Prince more and who gets to read the book again that night.

Instead, having read the book the summer before I start college, it's a slightly different experience. I'm reading the book objectively this time, with the analytical mind of a smart student.

Before I begin to list my problems with this book: I AM RATING IT ON A MATURE READER'S SCALE. To rate it as solely a child's book, I'd give it five stars. I'm not sure what is the "correct" way to rate it, but here I go with the more nuanced adult version:

To me, this book was too fluffy. The characters obviously were too one-dimensional (or, rather, two-dimensional, haha) for me to appreciate. The Little Prince was too fantastic, the drunk was too drunk, and the fox was too damn nice. Clearly, all of the characters in this novel were symbols for things in real life, but this made for a slightly boring story. You could expect what they were going to say.

As for all of the philosophy that you're "supposed" to get out of this little book, I didn't get all that much. I got that the important things are immaterial, and that you can make things "yours" and love them when you "tame" them, whatever that translates to in real life. Besides that, though? I didn't get all that much philosophically out of this.

Of course, you can take "Anything essential is invisible to the eyes" as far as you want to in your life. You can restructure your whole damn life around it, for all that I care. But there's only so much that that line speaks to me, when I've been aware of that message my whole life.

For that reason, this book is only three stars. It didn't touch me philosophically like some other books have, but it was a nice (and quick) read. ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
The Little Prince was translated from French. It is a valuable book that we can be still relate until this date. It is a classic read that talks about a child who falls into the Sahara Desert all alone. He meets a pilot and others. There is a businessman that caught my attention. The businessman says that, "kings don't own stars they reign them- which is very different, you see". There are clever messages within the book, very poetic. It reminded me of a better version of the alchemist.
  ayala.yannet | Jun 7, 2015 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

"Il Piccolo Principe" è una di quelle letture che entrano nell'animo del lettore. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry con il suo stile semplice e poetico mette il lettore davanti ad una riflessione sul senso vero della vita e sull'importanza di coltivare i sentimenti. Una fiaba senza età e per ogni età, da leggere e rileggere.
Vi segnaliamo la pagina del blog di Liberrima in cui parliamo del racconto dello scrittore francese:

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Large sections of "The Little Prince" ought to capture the imagination of any child... [and it] will appeal to adults. And that is something.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Apr 6, 1943)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Varela, Joana MoraisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children—although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You—only you—will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Please don't combine Regulus with the Little Prince, as in general Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language editions.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,485,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible