The Little Prince by Antoine De…

The Little Prince (original 1943; edition 1995)

by Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Info:Wordsworth (1995), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:children's, translated, French

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1943)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Love Story Behind The Little Prince by Consuelo De Saint-Exupery (rosylibrarian)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    Platero and I by Juan Ramon Jimenez (caflores)
    The Sandalwood box: folk tales from Tadzhikistan; by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    Das cousas de Ramon Lamote by Paco Martin (panbiot)
    panbiot: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Luise von Franz (bertilak)
    La grammaire est une chanson douce by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.
1940s (4)
Unread books (1,125)

English (319)  Spanish (22)  Italian (12)  French (8)  German (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (6)  Portuguese (4)  Finnish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Slovak (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (394)
This is a short book, but that helps make it what it is. It doesn't take hundreds of pages to make a point or give a lesson. It just makes it's point. And it makes it in a clear, charming way. The translation itself, by Richard Howard, is supposedly one of the worst, but I feel I still came away with the story itself, which was pretty inspiring. It does make me want to get my hands on the other translation by Katherine Woods. Still... this a way of looking at the world differently. And for that it gets my full appreciation. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 17, 2015 |
Finished in English. Now to tackle the French... ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Jan 26, 2015 |
As a child, I watched the cartoon and retained only a memory of the out-of-sync voices and an aversion to reading the book. Half-listening to my spouse read The Little Prince aloud, I became intrigued, and when the children complained because he was nodding off ("Daddy, could you please read it less sleepily?"), I took over.

And now that I've finished the book, I find it strange because I like it, but I can't really figure out why I like it. Sure, there are some great passages, like the one that brought me in to take over the reading because I didn't want to stop listening to the story:

"Whenever I encountered a grown-up who seemed to me at all enlightened, I would experiment on him with my drawing Number One, which I have always kept. I wanted to see if he really understood anything. But he would always answer, "That's a hat." Then I wouldn't talk about boa constrictors or jungles or stars. I would put myself on his level and talk about bridge and golf and politics and neckties. And my grown-up was glad to know such a reasonable person."

That's out of context, and I'm not sure if it will make sense if you've not read the book, but that's also kind of how the whole book is. There are maybe a couple of soundbites, but mostly I find I have to look at it as a whole to get any sense out of it, and even then, I'm not really sure I've got it.

To me, The Little Prince is like a cross between A.A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh and Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist; I like it more than The Alchemist and less than Winnie-the-Pooh. I'm not sure what my kids think of it. They paid close attention, but they weren't really able to say at the end what it was about. I'll have to see over the next few days if the fox's or the lamplighter's (or the snake's) words show up in their imaginative play.

Some friends recently blogged about their experience sailing away from the United States and returning for their first visit in three years. They note that they really want to talk about how their travel has changed them fundamentally, what the differences they've seen between the places they've traveled and the places they've called home in the U.S. have meant to them as human beings, but many people they encounter just want the surface of things---the color of the sand, the warmth of the sea, the smell of the local foods.

Maybe that's what appeals to me about The Little Prince. I might not understand it completely, but it feels like something deeper than the everyday. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 25, 2015 |
I honestly have nothing to say. I don't know what makes it so touching, I don't know why I love it so much, I don't know why I was sniffling by the end, but [b:The Little Prince|157993|The Little Prince|Antoine de Saint-Exupéry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1367545443s/157993.jpg|2180358] is amazing. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
What a beautiful, interesting little book! I wish I’d read this one sooner!

Synopsis:

The story follows a little Prince who lives on a planet with a single flower, he decides to leave the comfort and safety of his planet and travel around the universe, he visits various planets before eventually reaching Earth, he meets an airplane pilot stranded in the desert and learns about life on Earth and the vagaries of adult life.

Review:

The Little Prince is a book that can be enjoyed at any age, but after having finished it I can’t help but think how interesting it would have been to read it as a child, purely enjoying the story of a little prince travelling from planet to planet. As an adult though, you can see plainly the moral questions Saint-Exupery is asking about life, and his cautionary advice towards adults becoming too absorbed in money and themselves - "Don't you see - I'm very busy with matters of consequence!" It offers many interesting comments about life as an adult, about taking things too seriously and not having enough time for love, family and really enjoying life, but instead being busy with matters of consequence - obtaining money etc.

Although these messages hardly sound like the stuff of children’s books, it is handled in a very sweet, simple way and the book has some very lovely interesting moments in it. It’s a really enjoyable story, one that seems to be loved and read again and again, no matter what age. There are some humorous moments in the story and such a unique way of looking at the lives of grown ups - through that of an alien child.

Coupled with the sweet little drawings that accompany the novel, it’s a real delight to read and something that can impart some real words of wisdom, no matter if you’re reading it for the first or the fifth time, or if you’re seven or seventy.It’s a book that I most certainly think I will return to, and a book that touches many people, it has so many great quotable lines “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.” and it stands to reason that we could all do with being a bit more like children, and not take life too seriously. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Jan 12, 2015 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Large sections of "The Little Prince" ought to capture the imagination of any child... [and it] will appeal to adults. And that is something.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Apr 6, 1943)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lerman, ShloymeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Machado, Álvaro ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testot-Ferry, IreneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varela, Joana MoraisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children - although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
Once with I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called True Stories.
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You--only you--will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Please don't combine Regulus with the Little Prince, as in general Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language editions.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,660,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible