The Little Prince by Antoine De…

The Little Prince (original 1943; edition 1995)

by Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Info:Wordsworth (1995), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:children's, translated, French

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1943)

1940s (4)
Unread books (1,024)
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Hibou8)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)
    Flight to Arras by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (teknochik)
    teknochik: NObody seems to know this fabulous book. It is a reflective memoire by St Expery as he was piloting a reconnaissance mission over Germany in WW2. It is a beautiful commentary on war and what it does to humanity. Possibly one of the most hidden and understated gems of the 20th century. When I read this book, I suddenly understood "The Little Prince" with far more depth.… (more)
    The Tale of the Rose: The Love Story Behind The Little Prince by Consuelo De Saint-Exupery (RosyLibrarian)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faither)
    The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (infiniteletters)
    Puer Aeternus: A Psychological Study of the Adult Struggle With the Paradise of Childhood by Marie-Louise Von Franz (bertilak)
    The Island on Bird Street by Uri Orlev (quigui)
    Das cousas de Ramon Lamote by Paco Martin (panbiot)
    panbiot: "Ramon Lamote" posee rasgos en comun con "el principito".
    The Sandalwood box: folk tales from Tadzhikistan; by Katya Sheppard (meggyweg)
    La grammaire est une chanson douce by Erik Orsenna (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Slim fantasies full of warmth and meaning.

English (300)  Spanish (19)  Italian (12)  French (8)  German (8)  Portuguese (Portugal) (6)  Portuguese (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Slovak (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (371)
A wonderful book which helped me with reviewing my vocabulary and grammar. I plan on reading it again soon and to focus on understanding each word instead of the plot. ( )
  Chuck.QuinnIV | Aug 18, 2014 |
Classic-
This book is about a small prince who lives alone on a planet but is discovered in the desert by an aviator. The prince is looking for what is important in life. ( )
  Abdullah9000 | Aug 12, 2014 |
I picked up this book again last night, after seeing a discussion on an LT thread that I might have partly been responsible for provoking. A member had just reviewed Peter Sís’s latest book, The Pilot and the Little Prince (which I’ve now reserved at the library), and mentioned he’d never read the original book before, on which I couldn’t help but comment that I was astounded at this, as I'd assumed most adults my age or older had been exposed to this book in childhood, as most people I know in RL have. Then a few other people voiced their opinions about the book, both lovers and haters. This forced me to adjust my notion that some things can’t helped but be universally loved. That there could be haters of Le Petit Prince had never occurred to me, given it's pure intentions and message of true love. But there you have it, a person can hate just about anything, given a chance. To say one didn't really *get* that book or wasn't moved by it is one thing, but to say that's it's a complete waste of time? REALLY?!?! Wow. Anyway, I thought maybe I shouldn't just stick to my assumption that it's a great book just because I've read it countless times, starting with my mom reading it to me before I was able to do so myself as a toddler, and instead of hunting through my endless stacks for my ageless paperback copy, got the 99¢ Kindle edition so I could start on it right away and finished it early this morning. Perhaps I didn't cry at the end this time, as I've usually done; I’d feared my cynical adult self might find this book has lost of it’s potency over time, but no. It's still a wonderful and timeless tale.

For those who aren't familiar with the book, it is a firsthand account by a pilot stuck in the Sahara desert due to mechanical failure who meets the Little Prince—he apparently comes from another planet—when the little blonde-haired boy tells the pilot to "draw me a sheep!". There follows a discussion about the pilot's lack of drawing skills, of the Little Prince's relationship with the solitary rose that has grown on his tiny planet, where he needs to be ever-vigilant about baobabs taking root and potentially overtaking the tiny place, then of the boy's travels to other asteroids inhabited by adults who have strange priorities, to the little fox on planet earth who asks the Little Prince to tame him, because "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

It's a simple story on the surface, to be sure, but also a very profound one, which teaches us that "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye."

Indeed. ( )
1 vote Smiler69 | Jun 23, 2014 |
This is a very short but powerfull book. It shows that wisdom comes from honesty and also that the things that matter most are the ones that are in your heart. Just love it. ( )
  CaroPi | May 6, 2014 |
A symbolic tale of a man who crashes his plane and discovers a little man from another planet. This story is quite old, yet there are many references to society that still fit today. To me the story is commenting on the close mind of adults. This would be a good book for middle or high schoolers to read and discuss. I am sure there are many interpretations of this story but I felt it was a comment on the loss of wonder as we grow and the self centered way of adults in this fast moving world. ( )
1 vote Trinityc | Apr 27, 2014 |
Antoan de sent Egziperi (1900) linijski i ratni pilot, poginuo 1944. kao pilot-izviđač, oboren od nemačkih aviona. Pored niza romana o pilotima ("Južna poštanska služba", "Noćni let", "Zemlja ljudi", "Ratni pilot") napisao roman "Tvrđava", te neobično poetsku knjigu "Mali princ". Egziperi neguje kult razumevanja i duboke moralnosti, razvijajući vanvremensku veru u moć preobražavanja čoveka i dosezanja do pravog saznavanja njegove prirode. Mali princ je knjiga za male i velike, napisana poput bajke ona otkriva utopijski svet kroz priču o dečaku dospelom sa udaljene i sićušne planete i njegovom traganju za odanošću i ljubavlju. Ovo je knjiga i o stvarnom svetu, o čoveku, njegovim zabludama i grehovima, o nevinosti u otkrivanju najdubljih i najdragocenijih vrednosti postojanja, koja svojom sugestivnšću i poetskom toplinom osvaja decenijama generacije mladih i odraslih čitalaca.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, most metaphysical of aviators, has written a fairy tale for grownups. The symbolism is delicate and tenuous. It challenges man the adult, and deplores the loss of the child in man.
added by Shortride | editTime (Apr 26, 1943)

"The Little Prince" is a parable for grown people in the guise of a simple story for children-a fable with delightful delicate pictures of the little Prince on his adventurings. It is a lovely story in itself hich covers a poetic, yearning philosophy- not the sort of fable that can be tacked down neatly at its four corners but rather reflections on what are real matters of consequence.

Large sections of "The Little Prince" ought to capture the imagination of any child... [and it] will appeal to adults. And that is something.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Apr 6, 1943)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lerman, ShloymeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Machado, Álvaro ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testot-Ferry, IreneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varela, Joana MoraisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, KatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
TO LEON WERTH
I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom the grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children - although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:
TO LEON WERTH
WHEN HE WAS A LITTLE BOY
Once when I was six years old I saw a beautiful picture in a book about the primeval forest called "True Stories".
One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
You--only you--will have stars that can laugh!
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
I have friends to discover and a great many things to understand.
Please don't combine Regulus with the Little Prince, as in general Latin editions are not to be combined with modern language editions.

The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet - the Little Prince of the title - and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.

First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156012197, Paperback)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.
The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle. Such delicacy of tone can present real headaches for a translator, and in her 1943 translation, Katherine Woods sometimes wandered off the mark, giving the text a slightly wooden or didactic accent. Happily, Richard Howard (who did a fine nip-and-tuck job on Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma in 1999) has streamlined and simplified to wonderful effect. The result is a new and improved version of an indestructible classic, which also restores the original artwork to full color. "Trying to be witty," we're told at one point, "leads to lying, more or less." But Saint-Exupéry's drawings offer a handy rebuttal: they're fresh, funny, and like the book itself, rigorously truthful. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

An aviator whose plane is forced down in the Sahara Desert encounters a little prince from a small planet who relates his adventures in seeking the secret of what is important in life.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,242,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible