Sacrilege by S. J. Parris

Sacrilege (2012)

by S. J. Parris

English (24)  French (1)  All languages (25)
I cannot get into this book. I am halfway through and it has failed to stimulate my interest. Onward to the next audio book. ( )
  BALE | Jun 12, 2015 |
Giordano Bruno, the monk on the run turned astronomer turned Walsingham's employee, heads off to Canterbury in the third in Parris' Giordano Bruno series.
Bruno is reunited with Sophia, the woman he loved and lost in book one. She has been expelled from her family and forced into marriage with an older, abusive husband who has been murdered. Sophia is accused of the murder. She is on the run; and she asks Bruno for help. Smitten as he is he agrees. While there, Bruno is asked by the spymaster Walsingham to look into potential conspiracies against the Queen, including a plot to support a Catholic invasion of England through the cult of St Thomas.
After two previous adventures, Giordano Bruno’s character is well established. He is easy to empathise with; although his fascination with Sophia is difficult to understand, as she is clearly using him.
This was a good story with lots of twists and turns keeping you guessing as to what will be the final outcome. The author skillfully creates the atmosphere of the period, with a clear sense of the brutality, filth and constant sense of unease and fear prevalent in a society and age riven by religious divides.
I’ve already started book 4 in the series. ( )
  Jawin | May 11, 2015 |
When Sophia Underhill re-appears in Giordano Bruno's life, asking him for help in clearing her from suspicion of murdering her brutal husband, he agrees to help find the real killer and they journey to Canterbury together. The case proves much more complicated and dangerous than he could have imagined.

This book didn't keep my interest as much as the earlier books. The story seemed to take a lot longer to get started and there were too many elements repeated from the earlier books. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Feb 12, 2014 |
I made it through the book to the end of Sacrilege, but the way this novel is written grates with me. I can just about ignore the various character cliches, but the way our supposed brilliant investigator just stumbles about blindly in an unknown town, consistently simply happening to bump into the person who'll provide his next clue strains credulity, let alone the fact that they all just seem to trust and open up to a complete stranger. I don't think I could be bothered to read another in this series... though I thought that after the last one as well. ( )
  YossarianXeno | Jul 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this as an early reviewer and I put off reviewing it in the hope that I would someday finish it. But I can't. And I am a voracious reader and read almost anything through to the bitter end. But I couldn't find the energy to get through this story. I hate writing negative reviews, but I just didn't like it enough to keep on wading through. Perhaps I would have liked it better if I had read the first books in the series and maybe(?) gotten interested in the characters. ( )
  BarbN | Jun 19, 2013 |
I knew that I was being followed long before I saw or heard my pursuer.

A gripping historical thriller set in sixteenth-century England and centered on the highly secretive cult of Saint Thomas Becket, the twelfth-century archbishop murdered in Canterbury Cathedral.

London, summer of 1584: Radical philosopher, ex-monk, and spy Giordano Bruno suspects he is being followed by an old enemy. He is shocked to discover that his pursuer is in fact Sophia Underhill, a young woman with whom he was once in love. When Bruno learns that Sophia has been accused of murdering her husband, a prominent magistrate in Canterbury, he agrees to do anything he can to help clear her name.

In the city that was once England's greatest center of pilgrimage, Bruno begins to uncover unsuspected secrets that point to the dead man being part of a larger and more dangerous plot in the making. He must turn his detective's eye on history—on Saint Thomas Becket, the twelfth-century archbishop murdered in Canterbury Cathedral, and on the legend surrounding the disappearance of his body—in order to solve the crime.

As Bruno's feelings for Sophia grow more intense, so does his fear that another murder is about to take place—perhaps his own. But more than Bruno's life is at stake in this vividly rendered, impeccably researched, and addictively page-turning whodunit—the stability of the kingdom hangs in the balance as Bruno hunts down a brutal murderer in the shadows of England's most ancient cathedral.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Summer, 1584. Sir Francis Walsingham, spymaster to Queen Elizabeth, has long suspected an undercurrent of Catholic resistance in the city that was once England's greatest centre of pilgrimage. He calls Giordano Bruno, his maverick secret agent, away from his post at the French Embassy to investigate. But when Bruno arrives in Canterbury, he has no idea of the dark secrets he's about to uncover. He must turn his detective's eye on history--on Saint Thomas Becket, the twelfth-century archbishop murdered in Canterbury Cathedral, and on the legend surrounding the disappearance of his body--in order to solve the crime.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sacrilege by S. J. Parris was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible