Sacrilege by S. J. Parris

Sacrilege (2012)

by S. J. Parris

1932261,059 (3.75)32
Recently added bycamon63, Peace2, private library, thebopple, Davidl32, crispychez, canreader

English (22)  French (1)  All languages (23)
When Sophia Underhill re-appears in Giordano Bruno's life, asking him for help in clearing her from suspicion of murdering her brutal husband, he agrees to help find the real killer and they journey to Canterbury together. The case proves much more complicated and dangerous than he could have imagined.

This book didn't keep my interest as much as the earlier books. The story seemed to take a lot longer to get started and there were too many elements repeated from the earlier books. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Feb 12, 2014 |
I made it through the book to the end of Sacrilege, but the way this novel is written grates with me. I can just about ignore the various character cliches, but the way our supposed brilliant investigator just stumbles about blindly in an unknown town, consistently simply happening to bump into the person who'll provide his next clue strains credulity, let alone the fact that they all just seem to trust and open up to a complete stranger. I don't think I could be bothered to read another in this series... though I thought that after the last one as well. ( )
  YossarianXeno | Jul 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this as an early reviewer and I put off reviewing it in the hope that I would someday finish it. But I can't. And I am a voracious reader and read almost anything through to the bitter end. But I couldn't find the energy to get through this story. I hate writing negative reviews, but I just didn't like it enough to keep on wading through. Perhaps I would have liked it better if I had read the first books in the series and maybe(?) gotten interested in the characters. ( )
  BarbN | Jun 19, 2013 |
This is the third in the author's Giordano Bruno series. This time the action and the inevitable Catholic plot are centred around the precincts of Canterbury cathedral, an area which I know well, which added depth to the novel for me. The plot was rather convoluted, involving a fake miracle and the bones of St Thomas a Becket. It's colourful and absorbing and there were some interesting minor characters such as old Meg, Rebecca and Brother Anselm, but it doesn't have the impact on me of C J Sansom's novels. I think the issue for me is partly that, while Bruno is a fascinating figure in the history of religion and science, he is just not really plausible as a sleuth and spy, given that he stands out so much in Elizabethan England. ( )
  john257hopper | Mar 31, 2013 |
Parris continues her Tudor England mysteries starring Gordiano Bruno - ex-monk, radical thinker, ladies' man, Elizabethan spy and solver of murders. Sacrilege is set in Canterbury, then a claustrophobic, inward-looking town fearful of strangers and strangenesses. Bruno has arrived to determine the true killer of his friends' husband and to determine if Canterbury is still loyal to the Queen or is being swayed to the French cause. Parris writes well and keeps the reader guessing through to the end with plenty of narrative twists and colourful characters. SHe is clearly at ease with the period, but for me there is not enough detail about the daily life in Elizabethan England to fully draw the reader into the period. Parris knows a lot about Tudor England and should let more of that knowledge bleed onto the page. ( )
  pierthinker | Dec 16, 2012 |
I knew that I was being followed long before I saw or heard my pursuer.

A gripping historical thriller set in sixteenth-century England and centered on the highly secretive cult of Saint Thomas Becket, the twelfth-century archbishop murdered in Canterbury Cathedral.

London, summer of 1584: Radical philosopher, ex-monk, and spy Giordano Bruno suspects he is being followed by an old enemy. He is shocked to discover that his pursuer is in fact Sophia Underhill, a young woman with whom he was once in love. When Bruno learns that Sophia has been accused of murdering her husband, a prominent magistrate in Canterbury, he agrees to do anything he can to help clear her name.

In the city that was once England's greatest center of pilgrimage, Bruno begins to uncover unsuspected secrets that point to the dead man being part of a larger and more dangerous plot in the making. He must turn his detective's eye on history—on Saint Thomas Becket, the twelfth-century archbishop murdered in Canterbury Cathedral, and on the legend surrounding the disappearance of his body—in order to solve the crime.

As Bruno's feelings for Sophia grow more intense, so does his fear that another murder is about to take place—perhaps his own. But more than Bruno's life is at stake in this vividly rendered, impeccably researched, and addictively page-turning whodunit—the stability of the kingdom hangs in the balance as Bruno hunts down a brutal murderer in the shadows of England's most ancient cathedral.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:09 -0400)

Summer, 1584. Sir Francis Walsingham, spymaster to Queen Elizabeth, has long suspected an undercurrent of Catholic resistance in the city that was once England's greatest centre of pilgrimage. He calls Giordano Bruno, his maverick secret agent, away from his post at the French Embassy to investigate. But when Bruno arrives in Canterbury, he has no idea of the dark secrets he's about to uncover. He must turn his detective's eye on history--on Saint Thomas Becket, the twelfth-century archbishop murdered in Canterbury Cathedral, and on the legend surrounding the disappearance of his body--in order to solve the crime.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sacrilege by S. J. Parris was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible