The Worst Day of My Life Ever! (Best Me I…

The Worst Day of My Life Ever! (Best Me I Can Be) (edition 2011)

by Julia Cook (Author), Kelsey De Weerd (Illustrator)

Member:MRSchmid
Title:The Worst Day of My Life Ever! (Best Me I Can Be)
Authors:Julia Cook (Author)
Other authors:Kelsey De Weerd (Illustrator)
Info:Boys Town Press (2011), Edition: 1, 32 pages
Tags:Realistic fiction

The Worst Day of My Life Ever! (Best Me I Can Be) by Julia Cook

RJ has a horrible day and he tells his mom and she shows him how his bad day is because of his choices to not listen and get into trouble.
  Shambo | Mar 7, 2019 |
this book is about a boy named RJ and he is having trouble listening and following the rules although sometimes it isnt because he means to. later he learns to slow down and listen around him.

ages-3-5
sources- pierce county library
  Eli0079 | Nov 30, 2018 |
Summary:
This story follows RJ as he has the worst day of his life. He gets in trouble as soon as he wakes up and it spirals on and on and on. At the end of the day, he tells his mom that he’s had a terrible day. She explains to him that all of his misfortune was a direct result of him not listening or not following instructions. The next day, RJ tries really had to listen and follow instructions. He learns that everything goes much easier that way. He has the best day ever. RJ says that he learned that there’s a difference between hearing and listening, and that even though listening is hard…it pays off.

Personal Experience:
This book was fun to read. I read it to a group of pre-school age children. I put an emphasis on the word “Ever!” as it appears several times. They laughed every time. In the section with instructions on how to listen and how to follow instructions, I made sure they all looked me directly in the eyes. They all loved the book so much. Now if they get distracted during reading time, all I have to do is mention RJ’s bad day and they straighten right up.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) RJ’s bad day was all caused by him not listening or following instructions. After reading the book, I would review the pages on ‘how to listen’. Then we would play Simon Says to practice our listening skills.
2.) I would make a behavior chart with a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being RJ’s Worst Day Ever and 10 being RJ’s Best Day Ever. The class will get rewarded throughout the week for showing good listening skills. If they make it to 10, we will have a class prize.
3.) On page 15 there is a page that says “rules to being a good listener.” It is on four lines and it rhymes. This would be a good book to read at the beginning of the year. Then I’d have a poster made with the rules on page 15. Each day before we start, we could recite these rules to freshen up their memories. ( )
  CamilleSchmidt | Feb 19, 2015 |
RJ is having a bad day. It seems nothing is going his way. In this story, RJ learns that things don't always work out the way we want and that isn't always easy to accept. I love to use this book with children to help them to also think about the things that do go right on a bad day, and not to focus solely on all the things that don't go our way. Great resource as always. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Mar 19, 2014 |
RJ is having the worst day ever, because he doesn't always listen or pay attention. RJ learns to slow down and listen to instructions and knows his days will be better.
  TriciaETaylor | Nov 1, 2013 |

When RJ learns to use such skills as listening and following instructions, he has the best day of his life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible