Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Firelight (Darkest London) (edition 2012)

by Kristen Callihan

Member:madichi
Title:Firelight (Darkest London)
Authors:Kristen Callihan
Info:Forever (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Have Read, Don't Buy, Romance, Paranormal, Victorian

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

I enjoyed this wonderful story immensely! The author manages to keep you totally involved while withholding key facts. Not an easy feat, I'm sure. I can't wait to read the next in this series! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Jul 17, 2014 |
interesting paranormal aspects, good romantic suspense and development, a bit too much sex but with relatively slow development. overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jul 6, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher for Honest Review
Reviewer: Heather

Miranda a woman of little means, but who holds a deep fiery secret, finds herself at the interest of Lord Archer, a man hated by all who lays eyes on him. He is cursed far deeper than one could ever imagine and selfishly he pulls Miranda into his world knowing she could never love him – none of the women he loved ever did.

In the lusty action packed story of Firelight, you will find evil forces at play as the dark secrets unfold around you. Set in 1881 London where unexplained murders are happening at an alarming rate, Lord Archer quickly finds himself at the center of the investigations. This leaves the young Miranda to question his innocence, although deep down she’s certain he couldn’t truly be responsible for such atrocities. Or could he?

Firelight is exceptional. You’ll find yourself turning each page wanting, no, needing to have more and more of these two tantalizing characters. Be prepared to remain on the edge of your seat till the very last page. Will Miranda accept the demons Lord Archer has hidden, or will Miranda’s devastating secret send him packing? Does love really conquer all, or are the sacrifices of the heart made in vain? You’ll have to read the story to find out!

The story itself was a real page-turning-nail-biter. It was expertly written with intricate plot lines of love, conflict, betrayal and the paranormal at its center. I honestly couldn’t put it down all day, and I even managed to cook dinner as I was reading it though for fear of ruining the beautiful cover and crisp pages, I did finally put it down to eat!

The author, Kristen Callihan, may be new in the book world, but her writing screams as if she has devoted a lifetime to writing stories. Her words, descriptions, and her style are unparalled. She also writes one heck of a lustful sex scene which is no easy task mind you. I was pleased, no, honored to be able read and review this pre-release copy. I look forward to reading more of this talented authors work in the future. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 6, 2014 |

This book was a posterchild for romance novels. 'Her chest heaved, she burned with desire, he could hardly hold himself back, his eyes silvered over..'(Those might not be the exact phrases from the book) More than once, I remember laughing to myself at the chemistry between the two of them. Cos, honestly I didn't get it.

A lot of this book was spent skulking away, trying to look cool and find out what's going on (Archer did a lot of this particularly well; he couldn't help himself. He was equipped with a black mask and a billowing cape). I felt the plot was rather shaky and the mystery barely one.

The characters weren't gripping, the dialogue wasn't scintillating. The author had a good idea that she didn't execute.

The only reason I ended up giving two stars to this book is because of Archer's deformation. I was expecting burnt. And withered would have been interesting too(lol, let's see you think that part is beautiful!). But silvered isn't a bad idea, either. And the eyes flashing silver gets explained away. Brilliance. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
A 3.5 really. I was in the mood for a paranormal romance & so I decided to begin this series. I liked it. I didn't love it & I'm not exactly sure why. The characters were well done & the story was well written but something just did not rivet me. Possibly it was that I kept wanting to know more about why Miranda had her power & where it came from. That was huge for me & it's never much addressed. She has it & always has & that's it. M'mkay. And then there's Benjamin (Archer). By the time it's revealed what exactly he is, I honestly didn't care as much. It was a long time coming for that one. I suppose he's the more important between he & Miranda so that's why this all revolves around him. I don't know. I did like all of the murderous mystery tied into that quite a lot. I think I was so preoccupied with that that I didn't get swept away by the romance (though it was well done & they had good banter & conversations between them that made it work). I'll continue the series because I'm interested in the world the author's given. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
For my husband, Juan. Your unwavering faith gave me wings. Without you, none of this would be.

For Rachel You know what you did. A better friend I could not have.

And for Maya and Alex. Always.
London, November 1878

The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

-back cover

After she is forced to wed Lord Benjamin Archer, London's most nefarious nobleman, Miranda Ellis, who is gifted with exceptional abilities, comes to love her new husband, but his dark curse soon leads them both into deadly danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,151,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible