Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Firelight (Darkest London) (edition 2012)

by Kristen Callihan

Member:madichi
Title:Firelight (Darkest London)
Authors:Kristen Callihan
Info:Forever (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Have Read, Don't Buy, Romance, Paranormal, Victorian

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

I found this in steampunk recommendations. This is not steampunk. It's a historical romance with paranormal elements (demons, werewolves, a pyrokinetic).

In the novel we are told how Archer's friends shunned him, that he is someone to be feared and that he is disgusting to other people. However, the only one whose reason is explained is Rossberry. Next, I honestly didn't see any reason why people feared the man since he really gave his best not to be anywhere near them. I don't find him wearing a mask reason enough to be feared. What I didn't like was that we are told that.
And the villain? Or, should I say a pathetic attempt of one? I won't say who, but there too we are told how that person is dangerous, evil, etc. I only saw petty jealousy. Nothing more, nothing less.
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Firelight is a historical fiction with a touch of paranormal. What really got me intrigued was the blurb describing a man in a mask and since I have been enchanted with The Phantom of the Opera since I was a young girl was this something I just had to read.

Miranda has a powerful gift that for her is much more of a curse since her ability destroyed her father's fortune and because of their situation she has to marry a man or get cast out on the street. What she doesn't know is that the man, the Lord Benjamin Archer is the same man that saved her when she was younger. He is also a man that is hiding his face, but why?

First and most, this isn't the kind of book I usually go for when it comes to paranormal, I prefer horror instead of romance. But I liked the book's cover on NetGalley and as I stated above liked the blurb so I thought I would give it a go.

There are things that bothered me with the story, like for instance the secrets between Miranda and Archer, but this isn't the first book I will read or the last that the characters misunderstand each other because they keep secrets from each other. But it would have saved them a lot of time just being honest with each other. I also felt the story dragged on a bit. But this is a love story so they have to have this lustful dance around each other before they consummate their passion. (Why on earth it took so long time beats me since it's obvious they have the hots for each other).

I liked the waiting to uncover what's under Archers mask, it's a smart move drag out the waiting, it is much more alluring to read a book that has some mysteries left towards the end.

I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jun 14, 2016 |
Loved it, loved it, loved it! I haven't read many books about girls on fire (hehehe...), and there should be more books about them, because they do rock! Ben's "curse" was also something I hadn't read about before, and I found it very interesting. I'm so excited for the rest of the series. ( )
  butterfly58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Firelight
4 Stars

Excellent characterization, an engaging story and an intense romance but needs more world building.

Miranda is a strong, intelligent and independent heroine with a backstory that has definite potential. She is very likable, particularly in her loyalty to Archer. However, my one small caveat is that the origin and nature of her fire gift is not sufficiently explained.

Archer is an enigmatic hero with a tortured air and mysterious secrets that only add to his appeal. Unfortunately, after the build up surrounding his physical deformity and social ostracism, the ultimate revelation is anti-climactic.

The plot is well-paced and exciting with some interesting twists and a really nasty villain. There are, however, a number of loose ends that are left hanging, such as the involvement of Miranda's brother-in-law in the investigation and McKinnon's role in the events. Moreover, while Miranda and Archer's romance is intense and steamy, it progresses far too rapidly from a couple with a virtually non-existent acquaintance to one that is deeply in love and willing to sacrifice their very lives for each other.

Overall, an exciting beginning to what looks like an intriguing series, and the information that I find lacking may appear in the novella that precedes this book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Impoverished and guilt-ridden because she caused it, the heroine is forced to steal to help support the family. Then the hero comes along and offers her his hand in marriage and everything changes. He covers his whole body and no one has seen his face; everyone speculates that it's because of a horrible disfigurement but that couldn't be further from the truth. Slowly but surely as they're love grows he begins to shed a layer until the end when he reveals himself as having been cursed. I won't tell you what he looks like but I can say it's is beautiful. I loved the relationship between the two characters. The hero was strong and tortured but he wasn't overly depressed or dramatic and you can tell from the jump that he cared very deeply for the heroine if not loved her already. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
For my husband, Juan. Your unwavering faith gave me wings. Without you, none of this would be.

For Rachel You know what you did. A better friend I could not have.

And for Maya and Alex. Always.
London, November 1878

The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

-back cover

After she is forced to wed Lord Benjamin Archer, London's most nefarious nobleman, Miranda Ellis, who is gifted with exceptional abilities, comes to love her new husband, but his dark curse soon leads them both into deadly danger.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,532,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible