Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Firelight (Darkest London) (edition 2012)

by Kristen Callihan

Member:madichi
Title:Firelight (Darkest London)
Authors:Kristen Callihan
Info:Forever (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Have Read, Don't Buy, Romance, Paranormal, Victorian

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Recently added byprivate library, ksionzi17, dbevan, BookishThings, Bambi_Unbridled, lalachan, Aneris

Firelight is a historical fiction with a touch of paranormal. What really got me intrigued was the blurb describing a man in a mask and since I have been enchanted with The Phantom of the Opera since I was a young girl was this something I just had to read.

Miranda has a powerful gift that for her is much more of a curse since her ability destroyed her father's fortune and because of their situation she has to marry a man or get cast out on the street. What she doesn't know is that the man, the Lord Benjamin Archer is the same man that saved her when she was younger. He is also a man that is hiding his face, but why?

First and most, this isn't the kind of book I usually go for when it comes to paranormal, I prefer horror instead of romance. But I liked the book's cover on NetGalley and as I stated above liked the blurb so I thought I would give it a go.

There are things that bothered me with the story, like for instance the secrets between Miranda and Archer, but this isn't the first book I will read or the last that the characters misunderstand each other because they keep secrets from each other. But it would have saved them a lot of time just being honest with each other. I also felt the story dragged on a bit. But this is a love story so they have to have this lustful dance around each other before they consummate their passion. (Why on earth it took so long time beats me since it's obvious they have the hots for each other).

I liked the waiting to uncover what's under Archers mask, it's a smart move drag out the waiting, it is much more alluring to read a book that has some mysteries left towards the end.

I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
Oh I love the Beauty and the Beast Tale ! The author takes the well told story and whips into her own vision, beautifully. Miranda the strong women and the Super sexy Archer who hides behind his mystery.

Archer has decided that Miranda is the one for him. He will marry her ! She accepts the proposal, grudgingly. Not out of love but obligation. He is framed for murders that he did not commit. She believes him, but his secrets soon drag her into more troubles.

Both are hiding things, both believing it for the best. Secrets have a way of reveling themselves in terrible ways with harsh outcomes.

I loved the world building and scenery developed through the story and look forward to more from this author in the future. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Very interesting concept and exciting to read. Great characters and romance. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
4.5/5
Egalley thanks to Grand Central Publishing
The words that come to mind after reading this book are... succulent, rich, vibrant. Yes, I loved it, but it could have been so much more.

London in the end of 19th century is a dark ugly place, where paranormals hide in plain sight. There are plenty of bad rumours and an atmosphere of fear surrounding a tortured hero - Benjamin Archer, an aristocrat and a self-made millionaire in best traditions of Gothic novels, . He is rumoured to be involved in gruesome killings, but nothing has been proved. He wears a black masque, nobody knows what he looks like, and he is always alone.

Until he pays an impoverished baron/pirate a fortune to have his daughter as his young and beautiful wife.

Miranda is no innocent Society Miss. She was raised on the streets of London, can put up a vicious sword fight, changes her accents with an ease and supports her dad by stealing jewelry in various pawn shops. She's got her own dark secrets, enjoys danger and tired of being lonely, so mysterious Lord Archer pushes all the right buttons for her to agree to their marriage.

However, she is not satisfied with the life of luxury Archer provides. Someone tries to frame him for recent brutal killings of members of a club, and Miranda is determined to help her husband to catch the killer and prove his innocence, she is also dying to know what he hides behind his masque...

The plot is full of action and beautifully descriptive. The mythology and a range of paranormals is very refreshing. You would never guess what Lord Archer is, and Miranda's power was something I haven't seen in many books. Their pairing works really well.

However, the book was lacking depth. I wanted to know more, I wanted the confrontation not to be left to the very end, the mythology should have been described better as well. The villain was very one dimensional and too simple while you wanted him to be more devious. The secondary characters haven't had the opportunity to develop...

Despite all this I've enjoyed the book immensely, and can't wait for the second instalment in the series which has an absolutely gorgeous cover as well! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Miranda Ellis has the ability to start a fire out of anything that will burn. It's a gift that allows her to navigate the dark alleys of London without concern and at the same time it's also the curse which destroyed her family's wealth. Miranda is forced to steal to put food on the table. Her life changes forever with a chance meeting with Lord Benjamin Archer. Years later, when Miranda is informed that her father has arranged her marriage to the mysterious masked man, Miranda is indignant but with no other options, Miranda is forced down the aisle. She didn't expect to come to love Archer in spite of his secrets. It this love which inspires Miranda to fight with all she has to save Archer's soul.

Firelight is a historical romance with elements of the fantastic thrown in. In The beginning of the novel, Callihan's work is so purple that it would make Barney weep. Not to worry, she quickly moves beyond this as she finds her voice; however, that voice is just as irritating. We are treated to a long scene in which Archer watches Miranda eat. Why? Miranda's father already made it clear that they were living on deprivations and so having her wonder at the food didn't exactly establish anything. The only thing it made me wonder is what the hell the servants are going to get? Then there's the trip to the museum, and Miranda's shopping trip with her sisters. These incidents added absolutely nothing to the plot.

Archer quickly falls in love (read: lust) with Miranda. He does the whole, I'm bad but I have to have you routine. On her part, Miranda takes a little bit of time for the same declaration. The two characters do actually get to know each other a little. From the beginning we get to hear all about how Miranda gives Archer wood and makes him feel like a man. I quickly got tired of erection descriptions. There is a massive build up to their first kiss but before that we get treated to a scene where they touch tongues and of course breathlessness, sighs and heaving bosoms ensue. Who exactly lies in bed with their lover not kissing but touching tongues and moaning? Am I really supposed to find this hot?

So, Archer has some big secret for which he wears a mask to cover the left side of his face. After much hinting about the fact that he could be disfigured, it turns out that Archer actually is a half light demon and has been trying to look for a cure. Okay, kudos to Miranda for not running away from the man she loves but taking his marble demon penis inside her? Really? I just wanted to scream, lady, there are limits. I do however have a question, if Archer's penis is like marble wouldn't that mean he is always erect, thereby making the scenes in which we are given descriptions of how Miranda gives him an erection redundant?

Okay, what's Miranda's deal? Well as I mentioned earlier, Miranda can create fire. The problem? We don't know why because it's never explained. Somehow she learns to control her power and we never learn how. Miranda can also provide heat to cold people, something she learns on the fly but yeah, no idea why. If you're going to give a character a super power, it's important to give the reader some kind of explanation, particularly when it's going to be used for the dramatic conclusion.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | May 20, 2015 |
For my husband, Juan. Your unwavering faith gave me wings. Without you, none of this would be.

For Rachel You know what you did. A better friend I could not have.

And for Maya and Alex. Always.
London, November 1878

The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

-back cover

After she is forced to wed Lord Benjamin Archer, London's most nefarious nobleman, Miranda Ellis, who is gifted with exceptional abilities, comes to love her new husband, but his dark curse soon leads them both into deadly danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible