Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Firelight (Darkest London) (edition 2012)

by Kristen Callihan

Member:madichi
Title:Firelight (Darkest London)
Authors:Kristen Callihan
Info:Forever (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Have Read, Don't Buy, Romance, Paranormal, Victorian

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Recently added byprivate library, IzStrange, chouffin, melbook7, BookaholicCat, soitgoes5

4 ½ Stars

Firelight is the first book in the Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan.

When a friend told me “you have to read Firelight, I know you are going to love it.” I say ok, I’m gonna add it to my TBR and I did, but then another friend said the same thing, and later another one, by then I knew I have to read Firelight ASAP and not leave it waiting in my TBR with so many other books ‘I’m gonna read someday’. Being honest I’m very glad I let my friends bullied me into reading Firelight sooner rather than later.

The blurb is pretty explicit, I won’t add more to it, I think in this case you need to read Firelight and discover the rest of the story for yourself.

I really love Miranda, she is not a lady in distress or anything like that, she is strong, smart, determined and loyal but at the same time she is a bit susceptible because she is different from others, she uses her beauty in a manner to distract others for her real self but if you really know her you will see that under the facade of strong and in control woman she wears there is also a vulnerable person that blames herself for things out of her control.

Lord Archer is not your typical tortured hero, he’s a lot more. He suffers from a curse and has dedicated his life unsuccessfully in finding a cure. Because of his curse he is forced to hide behind a mask, that mask also marks him as different and makes him feel undesired and undeserving. Despite his mask and his sometimes gloomy attitude Lord Archer is charming and caring, and the more we know him the easier is to see the real man under the mask and what a man he is.

The romance between Miranda and Lord Archer felt completely real and possible; they are two characters that complement each other perfectly and it’s easy to understand why they fell in love with each other. The chemistry between them is clear since their first encounter and their romance builds page after page, same with the sexual tension, getting to a point that you will be eagerly turning pages faster and faster waiting for their next encounter, next sweet words and dying for a simple touch between them. When we finally get what we been waiting for the feeling of rightness and satisfaction we are left with is completely worth the wait.

The secondary characters are also well written and interesting and you can’t help yourself but want to learn more about them. Miranda’s sisters are very unique characters, I’m sure there is more to them that the few glimpses we see. Lord Archer’s friends and not so good friends are also very intriguing. I’m glad next installment of this series will be Lord Ian and Daisy’s book.

Firelight was a very nice and entertaining book, it has a good pace, even though it stalls a bit in the middle but not for long, soon after it picks up the pace again grabbing you and entangling you anew in its story. The well-written and smartly developed plot with the help of a gothic setting makes of this debut book an even more enthralling read.
As I said before I’m very happy my friends bullied me into reading this book, now it’s my turn to tell you this is a book you must read. Firelight is a book that will appeal to historical, paranormal, and urban fantasy lovers, that means all of you.
I’m planing to read in the following days the prequel of this series called Ember and needless to say I’m looking forward to August 1st to the release of the next installment of this series, Moonglow. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Excellent first installment. I had been holding off on reading this book, despite hearing all the hype about it, because I'm not all that big into historical romances anymore. However, Firelight managed to stay away from most of the tropes that annoy the shit out of me in historicals. This, in large part, is due to the book being primarily a paranormal.

The story starts off with your average Beauty and the Beast set-up of: woman is forced to marry/live with the Beast due to her father being an idiot of one kind or another. But I give Callihan kudos for not making Miranda a misty eyed doormat or the Beast, Archer, a giant ass-hat. In fact, Callihan gives Miranda one hell of a backbone and some kick ass powers to go with it. I loved how pro-active Miranda was about her relationship with Archer and the mystery of who is going around killing people. I also adored that Miranda isn't a virgin. That was so freaking refreshing to see.

I'll definitely be reading the rest of this series.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Firelight is a historical fiction with a touch of paranormal. What really got me intrigued was the blurb describing a man in a mask and since I have been enchanted with The Phantom of the Opera since I was young girl was this something I just had to read.

Miranda has a powerful gift that for her is much more of a curse since her ability destroyed her father’s fortune and because of their situation she has to marry a man or get cast out on the street. What she doesn’t know is that the man, the Lord Benjamin Archer is the same man that saved her when she was younger. He is also a man that is hiding his face, but why?

First and most, this isn’t the kind of book I usually go for when it comes to paranormal, I prefer horror instead of romance. But I liked the book’s cover on netgalley and I as I stated above liked the blurb so I thought I would give it a go.

There are things that bothered me with the story, like for instance the secrets between Miranda and Archer, but this isn't the first book I will read or the last that the characters misunderstand each other because they keep secrets from each other. But it would have saved them a lot of time just being honest with each other. I also felt the story dragged on a bit. But this is a love story so they have to have this lustful dance around each other before they consummate their passion. (Why on earth it took so long time beats me since it’s obvious they have the hots for each other).

I liked the waiting to uncover what’s under Archers mask, it’s a smart move drag out the waiting, it is much more alluring to read a book that have some mysteries left towards the end.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
I found this in steampunk recommendations. This is not steampunk. It's a historical romance with paranormal elements (demons, werewolves, a pyrokinetic).

In the novel we are told how Archer's friends shunned him, that he is someone to be feared and that he is disgusting to other people. However, the only one whose reason is explained is Rossberry. Next, I honestly didn't see any reason why people feared the man since he really gave his best not to be anywhere near them. I don't find him wearing a mask reason enough to be feared. What I didn't like was that we are told that.
And the villain? Or, should I say a pathetic attempt of one? I won't say who, but there too we are told how that person is dangerous, evil, etc. I only saw petty jealousy. Nothing more, nothing less.
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I enjoyed this wonderful story immensely! The author manages to keep you totally involved while withholding key facts. Not an easy feat, I'm sure. I can't wait to read the next in this series! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Jul 17, 2014 |
For my husband, Juan. Your unwavering faith gave me wings. Without you, none of this would be.

For Rachel You know what you did. A better friend I could not have.

And for Maya and Alex. Always.
London, November 1878

The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

-back cover

After she is forced to wed Lord Benjamin Archer, London's most nefarious nobleman, Miranda Ellis, who is gifted with exceptional abilities, comes to love her new husband, but his dark curse soon leads them both into deadly danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,242,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible