Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Firelight (Darkest London) (edition 2012)

by Kristen Callihan

Member:madichi
Title:Firelight (Darkest London)
Authors:Kristen Callihan
Info:Forever (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Have Read, Don't Buy, Romance, Paranormal, Victorian

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Firelight is a historical fiction with a touch of paranormal. What really got me intrigued was the blurb describing a man in a mask and since I have been enchanted with The Phantom of the Opera since I was young girl was this something I just had to read.

Miranda has a powerful gift that for her is much more of a curse since her ability destroyed her father’s fortune and because of their situation she has to marry a man or get cast out on the street. What she doesn’t know is that the man, the Lord Benjamin Archer is the same man that saved her when she was younger. He is also a man that is hiding his face, but why?

First and most, this isn’t the kind of book I usually go for when it comes to paranormal, I prefer horror instead of romance. But I liked the book’s cover on netgalley and I as I stated above liked the blurb so I thought I would give it a go.

There are things that bothered me with the story, like for instance the secrets between Miranda and Archer, but this isn't the first book I will read or the last that the characters misunderstand each other because they keep secrets from each other. But it would have saved them a lot of time just being honest with each other. I also felt the story dragged on a bit. But this is a love story so they have to have this lustful dance around each other before they consummate their passion. (Why on earth it took so long time beats me since it’s obvious they have the hots for each other).

I liked the waiting to uncover what’s under Archers mask, it’s a smart move drag out the waiting, it is much more alluring to read a book that have some mysteries left towards the end.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
I found this in steampunk recommendations. This is not steampunk. It's a historical romance with paranormal elements (demons, werewolves, a pyrokinetic).

In the novel we are told how Archer's friends shunned him, that he is someone to be feared and that he is disgusting to other people. However, the only one whose reason is explained is Rossberry. Next, I honestly didn't see any reason why people feared the man since he really gave his best not to be anywhere near them. I don't find him wearing a mask reason enough to be feared. What I didn't like was that we are told that.
And the villain? Or, should I say a pathetic attempt of one? I won't say who, but there too we are told how that person is dangerous, evil, etc. I only saw petty jealousy. Nothing more, nothing less.
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I enjoyed this wonderful story immensely! The author manages to keep you totally involved while withholding key facts. Not an easy feat, I'm sure. I can't wait to read the next in this series! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Jul 17, 2014 |
interesting paranormal aspects, good romantic suspense and development, a bit too much sex but with relatively slow development. overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jul 6, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher for Honest Review
Reviewer: Heather

Miranda a woman of little means, but who holds a deep fiery secret, finds herself at the interest of Lord Archer, a man hated by all who lays eyes on him. He is cursed far deeper than one could ever imagine and selfishly he pulls Miranda into his world knowing she could never love him – none of the women he loved ever did.

In the lusty action packed story of Firelight, you will find evil forces at play as the dark secrets unfold around you. Set in 1881 London where unexplained murders are happening at an alarming rate, Lord Archer quickly finds himself at the center of the investigations. This leaves the young Miranda to question his innocence, although deep down she’s certain he couldn’t truly be responsible for such atrocities. Or could he?

Firelight is exceptional. You’ll find yourself turning each page wanting, no, needing to have more and more of these two tantalizing characters. Be prepared to remain on the edge of your seat till the very last page. Will Miranda accept the demons Lord Archer has hidden, or will Miranda’s devastating secret send him packing? Does love really conquer all, or are the sacrifices of the heart made in vain? You’ll have to read the story to find out!

The story itself was a real page-turning-nail-biter. It was expertly written with intricate plot lines of love, conflict, betrayal and the paranormal at its center. I honestly couldn’t put it down all day, and I even managed to cook dinner as I was reading it though for fear of ruining the beautiful cover and crisp pages, I did finally put it down to eat!

The author, Kristen Callihan, may be new in the book world, but her writing screams as if she has devoted a lifetime to writing stories. Her words, descriptions, and her style are unparalled. She also writes one heck of a lustful sex scene which is no easy task mind you. I was pleased, no, honored to be able read and review this pre-release copy. I look forward to reading more of this talented authors work in the future. ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 6, 2014 |
For my husband, Juan. Your unwavering faith gave me wings. Without you, none of this would be.

For Rachel You know what you did. A better friend I could not have.

And for Maya and Alex. Always.
London, November 1878

The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

-back cover

After she is forced to wed Lord Benjamin Archer, London's most nefarious nobleman, Miranda Ellis, who is gifted with exceptional abilities, comes to love her new husband, but his dark curse soon leads them both into deadly danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,465,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible