Firelight (Darkest London) by Kristen…

Firelight (Darkest London) (edition 2012)

by Kristen Callihan

Tags:Have Read, Don't Buy, Romance, Paranormal, Victorian

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Firelight
4 Stars

Excellent characterization, an engaging story and an intense romance but needs more world building.

Miranda is a strong, intelligent and independent heroine with a backstory that has definite potential. She is very likable, particularly in her loyalty to Archer. However, my one small caveat is that the origin and nature of her fire gift is not sufficiently explained.

Archer is an enigmatic hero with a tortured air and mysterious secrets that only add to his appeal. Unfortunately, after the build up surrounding his physical deformity and social ostracism, the ultimate revelation is anti-climactic.

The plot is well-paced and exciting with some interesting twists and a really nasty villain. There are, however, a number of loose ends that are left hanging, such as the involvement of Miranda's brother-in-law in the investigation and McKinnon's role in the events. Moreover, while Miranda and Archer's romance is intense and steamy, it progresses far too rapidly from a couple with a virtually non-existent acquaintance to one that is deeply in love and willing to sacrifice their very lives for each other.

Overall, an exciting beginning to what looks like an intriguing series, and the information that I find lacking may appear in the novella that precedes this book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I found this in steampunk recommendations. This is not steampunk. It's a historical romance with paranormal elements (demons, werewolves, a pyrokinetic).

In the novel we are told how Archer's friends shunned him, that he is someone to be feared and that he is disgusting to other people. However, the only one whose reason is explained is Rossberry. Next, I honestly didn't see any reason why people feared the man since he really gave his best not to be anywhere near them. I don't find him wearing a mask reason enough to be feared. What I didn't like was that we are told that.
And the villain? Or, should I say a pathetic attempt of one? I won't say who, but there too we are told how that person is dangerous, evil, etc. I only saw petty jealousy. Nothing more, nothing less.
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Not sure where I first saw this but after several years I've finally got a chance to read this (and I'm looking forward to the sequel). Miranda Ellis is plagued by fire, it cost her father his warehouse and she feels a lot of guilt for it. One day her father tells her that he's improved his fortune by agreeing to her marriage to Lord Benjamin Archer, who is a mysterious man who wears a mask all the time. She agrees, under some duress, but when she meets her husband she feels an attraction she can't explain.

As the relationship progresses they discover more about each other while someone, is killing Lord Archer's friends, Lord Archer is a prime suspect but the tangled web of magic and murder will be a challenge to them both to unravel.

I enjoyed the read, I did want to learn more about Miranda and about the world they live in. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 25, 2016 |
It's been a little while since I actually read this... I remember liking the H/H but thinking that a lot of the story was based on the Heros story and the Heroines pyro abilities (for which the book is named) were very backseat. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
For my husband, Juan. Your unwavering faith gave me wings. Without you, none of this would be.

For Rachel You know what you did. A better friend I could not have.

And for Maya and Alex. Always.
London, November 1878

The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

-back cover

After she is forced to wed Lord Benjamin Archer, London's most nefarious nobleman, Miranda Ellis, who is gifted with exceptional abilities, comes to love her new husband, but his dark curse soon leads them both into deadly danger.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,738,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible