A Memoir of Jane Austen by James Edward…

A Memoir of Jane Austen (1870)

by James Edward Austen-Leigh

It was interesting , but it lack of obiectivity.
The author is honest and don't pretente to be an historian, but I felt him biased.
It wasn't my first Biography of Jane Austen so I think that coulb be the reason why I wasn't appalled. ( )
  Filzero | Nov 27, 2015 |
Although I was disappointed reading A Memoir of Jane Austen, because I found it rather dry and dull, I rated it as 3 stars because of its influence in stimulating interest in her works some 54 years after her death. Also, I realized this was a Memoir, so the level of detail was different than what I would expect from a biography. What you get is a mixture of personal letters and recollections from the writer, Ms. Austen's nephew, as well as family tidbits and background on the homes she lived in and the culture of the times generally. I imagine Janeites would find this book a nice addition to the lore and legend of one of England's most beloved authors, and a personal favourite of mine. ( )
  Zumbanista | Mar 24, 2015 |

James Edward Austen-Leighprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weldon, FayIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This work contains only the single memoir by J. E. Austen-Leigh. Please do not combine it with the editions which contain reminiscences by other relatives as well as the main work by J. E. Austen-Leigh.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140430059, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:51 -0400)

BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY: LITERARY. This book includes an introduction by J.H. Stape, St Mary's College, Strawberry Hill. Enormously influential on all later biographies of Jane Austen, the "Memoir of Jane Austen" (1869) by her nephew James Edward Austen - Leigh enjoys the privileged perspective of first-hand knowledge. It displays the deft touch of a man trained in the compassionate observation of human fallibility and virtue. Austen-Leigh's highly readable and affectionate account of his aunt offers a vividly compelling portrait of Jane Austen's habits and personality. Accompanied by the novella "Lady Susan" and the unfinished "The Watsons", this edition is simply essential reading for any admirer of a writer whom Virginia Woolf called 'the most perfect artist among women'.… (more)

24 wanted1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible