The Mezzanine by Baker Nicholson

The Mezzanine (original 1986; edition 1988)

by Baker Nicholson

1,317None5,895 (3.98)36
Member:Hempel
Title:The Mezzanine
Authors:Baker Nicholson
Info:Weidenfeld & Nicolson (1988), Hardcover
Rating:*****

The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker (1986)

Recently added byCBoylan, sangreal, priamel, ShelfMonkey, private library, hsubnairb, StantonK, mahsdad, DagoLA
    Remainder by Tom McCarthy (machinemachine)
    machinemachine: Obsession with the intimate experience of the present moment binds both these books together

English (33)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (36)
Hilarious (and depressing) insights into the multifarious facades of the 1980s corporate world where Gordon Gekko would have been right at home. Its entire narrative arc takes place within the narrator's mind as he travels from the lobby of his workplace up the escalator to the mezzanine where his office is located. Dizzying footnoted interludes where he concentrates on the microscopy of his observations about such things as record grooves, vending machines, and staplers. Some readers who were born with game consoles in their hands would no doubt chafe at these interludes that slow this plotless rumination to a complete standstill. You can lose your place even in the going-nowhere narrative while getting lost in a maze of footnotes that take up more space than the text. I've never been a footnote freak. I prefer end notes. But even if Baker does sometimes overdo his forays into the minutia of mechanization, surely this fault can be sidelined by his dazzling rhythms and the fun and games on his linguistic playground. ( )
  Koffeecat | Jan 26, 2014 |
This book was fun to read and left a smile on my face. It was absurd and relatable. How often do we have passing idle thoughts that are neurotically detailed and opinionated about mundane parts of our daily lives? The Mezzanine was a silly retelling of this internal dialogue, articulated in incredible and ridiculous specificity. I loved it. ( )
1 vote m.floyd | Dec 19, 2013 |
The entire novel covers the protagonist's lunch hour during which he goes out to buy a pair of shoe laces. At first you wonder if the guy is just compulsive in following the thread of every random thought and memory that runs through his brain. Baker manages to make the quotidian fascinating and ends up being a brilliant existential exploration.

Read this and other reviews at http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/ ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Sep 9, 2013 |
This is one of those times that I'd kill to have a half-star ability on Goodreads - because this is solidly a 3.5 star book. It's an interesting curiosity of a piece but also nothing that is spectacular or revelatory. It's in the vein of Woolf's stream-of-consciousness but a bit more ho-hum, a bit more mundane. It's the thoughts we all think all the time - but it becomes more engaging by Baker's snappy tone (as opposed to, say, Perec's murderously boring one). Funny, observant, and smart - but also lacking in any real weight. It is the literary embodiment of your lunch break (which I think was the goal).

More thoughts of a similar vein: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-kM ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
This minute observation has autistic elements in it that made it for me very hard to read. Intellectually a great piece, not necessarily enjoyable for me. ( )
  Des2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
It was quite a debut. When Nicholson Baker chronicled, in The Mezzanine, a single lunch break in the life of Howie, a young office worker, he was hailed as a modern Proust. Eschewing narrative in favour of a virtuosic, minimalist exploration of life's trivialities, the book has Howie marvelling at the engineering of an escalator and worried about the best way to put on socks. With its enjoyably digressive footnotes, this short but hugely inventive novel helped point the way for the audacious styles of writers such as Dave Eggers and David Foster Wallace.
added by peterbrown | editThe Observer, Ben East (Jul 24, 2011)

For Margaret
At almost one o'clock I entered the lobby of the building where I worked and turned toward the escalators, carrying a black Penguin paperback and a small white CVS bag, its receipt stapled over the top.

Turns an ordinary ride up an office escalator into a meditation on our relations with familiar objects--shoelaces, straws, and more. Baker's debut novel, and a favorite amongst many of us here.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:20 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible