Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian, 8 by…

Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian, 8 (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Eoin Colfer

Title:Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian, 8
Authors:Eoin Colfer
Info:Puffin (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer (Author) (2012)

It finally happened — I have finally read the last book of the Artemis Fowl series. It was bittersweet in a way, because this is a series that my friend got me hooked on when I was about 13, so it’s been a rather continuous presence in my life. Every few years or so, I think, yeah, I’ll read the Artemis Fowl sequel, so it’s weird to think that in a few years, I won’t be reading another one. (Though I just might pick up another Colfer book, because let’s face it, all his stuff is great.)

I was surprised by how well these books hold up. I have to give Colfer credit, for something I read at 13, I still thoroughly enjoy these characters and their story. They’ve gotten a bit older and the stories have grown and become more complex, but let me tell you, there are quite a few novels “for grown-ups” that I read at 13 and don’t hold up nearly as well — Artemis Fowl books for sure do. This book continues the tradition of being about very serious, life-or-death issues while still retaining humor and lightness. There wasn’t one part of The Last Guardian that I felt was drawn out or melodramatic. It’s perfectly balanced in terms of tone, and like I said, retains some humor.

One of my favorite parts of this book is the fact that while there is a main villain (Opal, just go away and die, seriously!), there are also secondary villains who are complicated in terms of their motives, which I love in a story. I don’t want my villains to be unsympathetic psychos — I want to be able to see where they’re coming from and understand their story too. I was glad that I was able to do that when reading this story — I think it added quite a bit of realism and complexity to the story.

In terms of the ending, it was perfect. I get so nervous when a longer series ends, because who knows what’s going to happen? I’m not even sure what I want to happen. I love Artemis, but does he deserve a happily ever after? Is that even a thing that’s possible, given the circumstances of his life and the story this novel presents? What about the resolution itself? Do I want a tight resolution with a pretty bow on top, or do I want it more natural, just sort of let’s end things, but leave them open? I DON’T KNOW!!! Luckily, Colfer seems to know what I wanted, because the ending is perfect. It ties the story together nicely while still leaving a little bit of wiggle room for the reader to imagine what might happen next. Perfect, right?

If you’re an Artemis Fowl lover, don’t worry about this being the last one. It sucks a little that the series is ending, but I think it’s incredibly well done and a perfect last book if there ever was one. I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn’t find anything disappointing about it, and trust me, I was terrified of being disappointed. If you’ve yet to read the Artemis Fowl books, get started! They’re so good and I think enjoyable for all ages, especially if you love reading about fairies.

Originally posted on Going on to the Next. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 2, 2016 |
Artemis Fowl has again masterminded a suspenseful, comic story of a evil pixie, and fairy warriors. Artemis will need all his cleverness along with his friend’s skills to save the day. Nathaniel Parker does a fabulous job with all the different voices.
  JimStork | Jul 21, 2016 |
Well its over. I had enjoyed Artemis's exploits up to the third maybe fourth book. But the ending on this one is bad.Spoiler: Not a young adults book at all where the hero is made to die and then come back. I cannot recommend this book actually. To short rushed ending. Contrived and convoluted and very very angry. I'm actually glad its over. Almost as bad as the Scott books. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
Read in summer 2012 and listened to audiobook in March 2013 as part of the YALSA Hub challenge. I actually liked the audiobook better. Great narration, captured the humor and tension of the situation for each character really well. Varied pacing and accents. Not recommended for anyone who has not followed the series since the beginning. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very clever (like all the Artemis Fowl Books). Some of the details surrounding Opal's master plot were confusing (perhaps because I listened rather than read the book) but overall worth reading. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Colfer, EoinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the Fowl fans who journeyed to the Lower Elements with me. Thank you.
The Berserkers lay arranged in a spiral under the rune stone, looping down, down into the earth - boots out, heads in, as the spell demanded.
"I want you to know, my dear friend, that without you, I would not be the person I am today. I was a broken boy, and you fixed me. Thank you."  -Artemis Fowl
"Tell me," Artemis said, his voice still weak. "How do I know you?" And so Holly began her story: "It all started in Ho Chi Minh City one summer. It was sweltering by anyone's standards. Needless to say, Artemis Fowl would not have been willing to put up with such discomfort if something extremely important had not been at stake. Important to the plan..."

"Teenage genius Artemis Fowl and his arch rival Opal battle to the last in this eighth and final book in series"--

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,749,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible