The Sun Over Breda (Captain Alatriste (Plume…

The Sun Over Breda (Captain Alatriste (Plume Books)) (original 1998; edition 2008)

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Member:Oberon
Title:The Sun Over Breda (Captain Alatriste (Plume Books))
Authors:Arturo Perez-Reverte
Info:Plume (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Fiction, Spain

The Sun Over Breda by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (1998)

Recently added bymarreola, private library, acouso, roselynn333, Indexlibrarian, DoctorFausto, Oryphany
    The Seville Communion by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (leosabana)
    leosabana: Es una muy buena novela seudo-policíaca en la que se hace un retrato costumbrista de la sociedad sevillana actual.

English (23)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Another solid offering from Perez-Reverte. This is the third in the series about Captain Alatriste. This book tells the story of the battle at Breda, and it is very simple in its telling. There is no real drama, and we know the outcome for the main characters and the Spanish. What makes the story interesting is to read about the soldiers and Spanish army of the time. How they dressed, how they talked, how they placed a high importance on honor, and all the things that go along with the history of the period are what make the story interesting. It was not a page turner, and I do not think anyone that does not have an interest in 17th century European history would enjoy this.

I will continue the series because I enjoy the writing style for the most part. I think I would like to try another Perez-Reverte book outside of the series sometimes soon. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Captain Diego Alatriste is in the miserable damp fog of the Netherlands fighting the "Hollanders" and trying to break the siege of Breda. This book, like the other Alatriste novels, is narrated by his Basque mochilero/sidekick Iñigo Balboa. Iñigo is starting to feel like more of a man as he tastes his first real combat. This book is more about honor and battle glory etc. than the other two, which were more about personal exploits. As usual, the somewhat heavy-handed writing style of Pérez-Reverte only adds to the atmosphere, charm, and derring-do of the book. One example of this is the opening paragraph, "...The canals of these Dutch are damp on autumn mornings. Somewhere above the curtain of fog that veiled the dike, a blurred sun shone palely on the silhouettes moving along the road in the direction of the city.....That sun was a cold, Calvinist, invisible star unworthy of the name, its dirty gray light falling on...." Other turns of phrase that I appreciated were "you would have thought the devil was vomiting heretics" to describe advancing soldiers coming out of nowhere and Alatriste's taunt "You would never want people to call you the baby butcher." Another favorite descriptive passage in the book is this image of Alatriste himself, "Diego Alatriste seemed to be somewhere fay beyond all that. He had thrown off his hsat, and tangled, dirty hair fell over his forehead and ears. His legs were planted firmly apart as if nailed to hte ground, and all his energy and wrath were concentrated in his eyes, which gleamed red and dangerous in his smoke-blackened face." ( )
  gildaclone | Jan 16, 2018 |
This is the third in Perez-Reverte's 'Captain Alatriste' series, however, I felt that the author was inspired to write this book mostly out of a desire to write a book about the Siege of Breda and Velasquez' painting 'The Surrender of Breda', not because the events forward the ongoing story of Diego Alatriste and his squire (the narrator) Inigo. It almost seems random that these two characters are here, at these battles - they could almost be any two characters. (We don't get any more progress in Inigo's tragic(?) obsession with the beautiful Angelica de Alquezar, either). That said, however, if one is interested in a historical novel of Spain set during the Thirty Years' War, and a well-researched, interesting account of a soldier's life during those times, this is quite a good book. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Much better than the first two books in the series. ( )
  Vikinglitespear | Sep 29, 2015 |
I like the Alatriste novels, but this one was a little depressing. And very muddy. I will admit it has been a while since I've read it since I am cataloging as I am packing, but I mostly remember the mud. A very introspective chapter in Alatriste and Inigo's time together, and a necessary part of the story, but not the most enjoyable one. ( )
  jessiejluna | Jun 15, 2013 |
A troop of soldiers marches by:
strong, bearded, weapons shouldered,
following their captain's lead.

Spanish captain, who knew Flanders,
Mexico, Italy, and the Andes,
Of what exploits are left to dream? - C.S. DEL RIO La esfera
For Jean Schalekamp, damned heretic, translator, and friend.
'Pon my oath, the canals of these Dutch are damp on autumn mornings.

Arturo Pérez-Reverte has enthralled readers and critics around the globe with his Captain Alatriste series. Having sold four and a half million copies to date in the Spanish-speaking world, the series has made Pérez-Reverte a literary superstar and his fictional seventeenth-century mercenary a national icon. And the appeal of Pérez-Reverte's adventurer and his exploits continues to grow, as evidenced by the extraordinary reception for the first two translated volumes in the series-Captain Alatriste and Purity of Blood.

And now, in The Sun over Breda, Pérez-Reverte continues his thrilling chronicle of the swordsman-for-hire, as Captain Alatriste takes up his blade and rejoins his elite Cartagena regiment as they take part in the battles and siege of Breda. Fifteen-year-old Íñigo Balboa enlists to serve as his master's aide, and narrates their further adventures of swordplay and skirmishes, of mutiny and wartime honor. And, back in Spain, Alatriste's nemesis Luis de Alquézar grows more powerful, as Íñigo's mysterious friend Angélica hints at some plans upon his return

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

"In The Sun over Breda, a dramatic novel of war and honor that marks the return of Arturo Perez-Reverte's most beloved character, Captain Diego Alatriste, the seventeenth-century sword-for-hire who leads his formidable band of soldiers in the name of King Philip IV of Spain against the Dutch in the battle for Flanders." "As Spanish blood spills into the Flemish canals, and the lethal flash of swordplay drains the men of their thirst for victory, unrest grows among the troops. With no promise of payment from the king, Alatriste is caught in the impassioned throes of mutiny, torn between fealty to the material needs of his men and his pledge to a crown for which he holds no love."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible