The Pit: A Story of Chicago by Frank Norris

The Pit: A Story of Chicago (1903)

by Frank Norris

I started reading this on June 1, 1946 and on that date said: "It's terible so far." It got better, and I remember being blown away by the description of the trading on the floor. And in 1952 when I visited the grain exchange Norris' description came back to me and I saw his description was still accuarte, all those years after he wrote it! ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 9, 2013 |
Just started this and I already love the writing.. I can see this made into a beautiful moving because his writing is so descriptive. This book is about the stock market and applies just as much today as it did in 1903. I guess we don't ever learn....
  sjclance | Nov 24, 2008 |
Dedicated to my bother Charles Gilman Norris in memory of certain lamentable tales of the Round (dining-room) table heroes, of the epic of the pewter platoons, and the romance-cycle of "Gaston le Fox," which we invented, maintained, and found marvellous at a time when we both were boys
At eight o'clock in the inner vestibule of the Auditorium Theatre by the window of the box office, Laura Dearborn, her younger sister Page, and their aunt -- Aunt Wess' -- were still waiting for the rest of the theatre-party to appear.

In "The Octopus" (1901), one of the earliest muckraking novels of the Progressive Era, Frank Norris exposed the operations of the ruthless, "laissez-faire" capitalism sanctioned by turn-of-the-century Social Darwinists. "The Pit" (1903), the second novel in Norris's projected trilogy, continues the "Epic of the Wheat" with the story of Curtis Jadwin, a speculator bent on cornering the wheat market, and his brutally abused wife, Laura. Mingling realism and romanticism, Norris created in Laura a heroine whose psychological complexity rivals that of Flaubert's Madame Bovary or Edna Pontellier in Kate Chopin's "The Awakening."

Edited for the first time as Norris intended it, this masterpiece of American literary naturalism is fully contextualized in the introduction and explanatory notes by Joseph R. McElrath, Jr. and Gwendolyn Jones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:32 -0400)

"Reprint of a 1902 novel which tells the story of Curtis Jadwin, a man whose increasing attention to earning money in the wheat market of Chicago almost destroys his marriage." ***"In the sequel to 'The Octopus, ' Curtis Jadwin works so hard to make money on the Chicago stock exchange that he ignores his loving wife." ***"This classic literary critique of turn-of-the-century capitalism in the United States reveals Norris's powerful story of an obsessed trader intent on cornering the wheat market and the consequences of his unchecked greed." *** "Curtis Jadwin, a successful turn-of-the-century dealer in Chicago real estate, overcomes reluctance and begins gambling in wheat futures in the great Chicago grain market called 'The Pit, ' bring on financial panic across the nation. Jadwin's pursuit of power and excitement through speculation had estranged him from his beautiful wife, Laura, who had found herself losing out to the Pit in competition for his live and attention. But the collapse of his paper empire, in which he loses everything, real property included, reunites them as they look to begin life anew in the West." Howard. America as Story.… (more)

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible