Chosen People (Alex Powell Novels) by Karen…

Chosen People (Alex Powell Novels)

by Karen G. Bates

172587,099 (3)None

Second and so far last in the Alex Powell series. Alex, a newspaper columnist in LA, attends a talk and book-signing by the author of a controversial book on the black upper class. When the author goes out to get more books, and doesn't return, his body is found near his car. Once again Alex is drawn into a murder investigation.

I liked this book even better than the first one, though once again find the least convincing character to be the victim. By the time the story is over, issues of class and homosexuality are involved that divide the black community. Both books in the series are rewarding. ( )
  reannon | Jun 13, 2010 |
I was a little restless while the two murders were slowly building the mystery to the connection to Simp Hastings. But, it kept me connected to the characters and wanting to know who killed them. She puts a hip spin on the genre using a sort of insider's secret language. Besides "small colored world", there is her code for white people, "WP", and the Black Bourgeoisie, "Nigwazeez" and other witty terms.

I found Alex Powell Smart, opinionated, intelligent, and a-no-nonsense sleuth. And, I liked all the rest of the supporting characters. I enjoyed Paul, the humorous and caring boyfriend. Powell was able to paint a picture of the scenes vividly.

I enjoyed the fact that the book was not filled with sex scenes, which would have been a distraction from the mystery. It's the perfect book to throw in your bag when going on a short trip or a long car ride or while standing in a long line. It’s a quick read.

I’ll read her first Alex Powell novel, “Plain Brown Wrapper”, because I like the characters. ( )
  altima313 | Nov 24, 2008 |

When Alex Powell stops into a Los Angeles bookstore on a rainy spring night, she's planning to write a column on the author who is reading and signing books there. But what she gets instead is a firsthand look at the murder of a controverisal African American writer. James Simpson Lee Hasting's death sends seismic shock waves through Los Angeles's black and white elite, and reveals how some of the city's well-to-do are connected in ways they'd rather leave unmentioned. But trying to unravel those connections might mean that the next time Alex's name shows up in her paper, it won't be as a byline, but in her own obituary.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible