Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in…

Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art (edition 2015)

by Christophe André (Author)

Stop doing, stop moving, stop twisting and turning. These are the first steps toward inner calm and increased mental clarity, says psychiatrist and leading meditation practitioner Christophe Andre, who in this book guides us through the art of mindfulness, beginning with art itself. Looking at Mindfulness collects classic and esoteric paintings, from Rembrandt to Hopper to Magritte, and offers a lucid commentary on the inner workings of each. Andre describes the dynamic on the canvas, and turns to the viewer's and listener's own reactions, exploring the connection between what we see and what we feel. Moving beyond the art on the page, Andre teaches us what it means to consider our surroundings, our daily interactions and obligations, and their effect on our inner well-being. The paintings are a visual and tangible first step to understanding mindfulness and the benefits of living in the moment. In practicing mindfulness, within ourselves and out in the world, each of us can make immediate, meaningful, and permanent changes in our well-being and the well-being of others. Beautifully written, wonderfully accessible for any novice or expert, Looking at Mindfulness delivers practical steps and a comprehensive understanding of the practice and meaning of mindfulness and meditation. An authentic and effortless voice, Andre brings clarity to what it means to live mindfully and how we can make a more conscious effort to do so.… (more)
Member:Maille
Title:Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art
Authors:Christophe André (Author)
Info:Blue Rider Press (2015), 304 pages

Looking at Mindfulness: 25 Ways to Live in the Moment Through Art by Christophe André

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
Christopher André’s Looking at Mindfulness is a primer of twenty-five lessons on mindfulness. With pictures to supplement the text André explained how people could be aware of their bodies and environment and not be like robots. Advice is given concerning how to turn off and adjust to the multiple stimuli of film, television, radio, and the Internet. These media only corrupt minds and cause them to be unable to concentrate on what really matters most in life.
By breathing and being in silence people will become aware of their true selves and savor the precious moments of their lives. By being still and reflective they will come alive. Such practice they should make a part of their daily lives. The benefits of these meditations will give them a sense of purpose, will release them from stress, and help them to live compassionately.
But these objectives have to be practiced consistently. It’s true they could begin at any time in one’s life, whether it’s just waking up in the morning, preparing for work, at the job during the day, at home at night, or before going to bed. So when people are faced with difficulties like having problems at work, conflicts, marital problems, are suffering, or under stress, being mindful could definitely bring release and ease the pain.
However mindfulness isn’t a panacea for every problem. It will only allow a practitioner to approach the good and bad experiences of life realistically. They will be able to entertain and deal with the conflicting realities of their problems. With breathing and being still they will be able to understand to minimize these conflicts. It isn’t guaranteed that they will eventually feel better, but they will be better able to understand their problems. For as André wrote that hurtful situations might last only for a time with mindful practice. So the tenets of this book are descriptive, easy to read, and supplemented with quotes from psychologists, pyscho-analysts, and religious thinkers from the Christian and Buddhist traditions ( )
  erwinkennythomas | Nov 17, 2019 |
Excellent use of art works to illustrate mindfulness concepts. This is not so much a book to read (although you could) as it is a book to slip through for inspiration and quiet reflection. Beautifully printed with artwork where the whole work is shown and then significant details are zoomed in on. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 21, 2016 |
The first thing we see is the intense, yellow light of the winter sun outside—a sun that dazzles without warmth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,822,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible