Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan

Talulla Rising (edition 2012)

by Glen Duncan

Member:netgirl_y2k
Title:Talulla Rising
Authors:Glen Duncan
Info:Canongate Books Ltd (2012), Hardcover, 425 pages
Rating:***

Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan

Recently added byBirdo82, private library, recrawfo, DBReads, susanbevans, Canim, Con.Rad, elliepotten, GirlMisanthrope

A work full of cliches, but thanks to the superb writing it hardly matters and proves to be more exciting than the original. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
UGH UGH UGH!!! HATE HATE HATE this book. It only earns two starts because I actually FINISHED it. It is as bad as the first book. No, maybe worse. All the self-loathing of the first book plus "very (pause) bad (pause) girl (pause)" cannot SHUT UP about "very bad girl" sex (which I'm still trying to figure out if that means any sex or just anal sex).

I wasted too much time (more than 10 minutes) on this book. I'm not even sure why I did that. It was like reading LKH, I couldn't stop. ( )
  lesmel | Mar 4, 2014 |
TALULLA DEMETRIOU, YOU HAVE BEEN A VERY ...BAD ...GIRL

When I change I change fast. The moon drags the whatever-it-is up from the earth and it goes through me with crazy wriggling impatience . . . I’m twisted, torn, churned, throttled—then rushed through a blind chicane into ludicrous power . . . A heel settles. A last canine hurries through. A shoulder blade pops. The woman is a werewolf.

The woman is Talulla Demetriou.

She’s grieving for her werewolf lover, Jake, whose violent death has left her alone with her own sublime monstrousness. On the run, pursued by the hunters of WOCOP (World Organisation for the Control of Occult Phenomena), she must find a place to give birth to Jake’s child in secret.
The birth, under a full moon at a remote Alaska lodge, leaves Talulla ravaged, but with her infant son in her arms she believes the worst is over—until the windows crash in, and she discovers that the worst has only just begun . . .

What follows throws Talulla into a race against time to save both herself and her child as she faces down the new, psychotic leader of WOCOP, a cabal of blood-drinking religious fanatics, and (rumor has it) the oldest living vampire.

Harnessing the same audacious imagination and dark humor, the same depths of horror and sympathy, the same full-tilt narrative energy with which he crafted his acclaimed novel The Last Werewolf, Glen Duncan now gives us a heroine like no other, the definitive twenty-first-century female of the species.

There is something liberating about a novel like this. As well as offering a new vantage point from which to consider the old questions of life, it also provides a welcome fantasy in which there is not just extreme sex and violence (including the werewolf lovers' full-moon ritual "fuckkilleat"), but also smoking, drinking and a lot of very fancy hotels. Werewolves can't get cancer and don't need pensions. Who wouldn't want to be part of their world for a while?

Loved every wickedly witty, bloody, bawdy page - business as usual for Glen Duncan
  jan.fleming | Jan 1, 2014 |
Wonderful Read. Engrossing, driving force, very difficult to put down. Arguably as good as the first installment. ( )
  jakegest | Dec 24, 2013 |
Disappointing. Glen Duncan is one of my favourite authors. His prose is rich and taut. Usually he finds something in his horrific characters to make you like them, care for them, despite what they do. Not Tallulah Demetriou. Not for me anyway. I didn't warm to her in the first book in the series, which I loved, and a whole book with her as the central character proved to be a drag to read. I found the prose flabby, littered with pointless asides, self-important and lacking in the dark humour that Duncan's other books deliver. The cocaine driven second album to the raw talent of the first. ( )
  missizicks | Dec 15, 2013 |

After losing her werewolf lover Jake and giving birth to a son, Talullah confronts a psychotic new WOCOP leader, an unlikely human lover, blood-drinking religious fanatics, a pack of London werewolves, and the world's oldest living vampire.

48 wanted2 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible