Come Away with Me by Sarah Macdonald

Come Away with Me

by Sarah Macdonald

This was very different to the other travel books I've read lately. There were longer short stories, each around twenty pages and about a different part of the world. The early stories didn't show much promise and I found myself skipping around.

I really liked Tony Davis' "Exactly as I Remember" because of the Japan connection. Been there, felt his frustration, but I also know the incredible personal rewards once you succeed.

Also liked Peter Moore's "Same Same but Different" because I love his stuff, and he captured well the ideosyncracies of SE Asia. I liked "Be It Ever So Humble..." and "China Ghosts" for different reasons. THe former was about an Australian making NY home, and it was interesting to see my hometown as viewed through the eyes of an Australian. The latter was about an Australian born Chinese going to China to find the China her father always talked about, and those stories always interest me.

The other stories weren't as bad, just weren't as engaging. In "Global Empire of the Heart" the main characters were very whiny and it was hard to identify with them, nothing was going to please them.

In all, not a bad book. Not as good of a collection as some other travel ones I've read, but not bad. ( )
  skinglist | Jan 8, 2009 |

Share the joys of discovering the unknown as ten well travelled authors share their tales of being strangers in strange lands. Enjoy a good beating in a Russian bathhouse with Iris Makler; French Disneyland a la Nikki Gemmell; love and longing in Portugal with Christopher Kremmer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible