Batman: Noel by Lee Bermejo

Batman: Noel (edition 2011)

by Lee Bermejo, Lee Bermejo (Illustrator)

Series: Batman

90None134,848 (4.01)7
Member:wookiemonster
Title:Batman: Noel
Authors:Lee Bermejo
Other authors:Lee Bermejo (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Edition: De Luxe edition, Hardcover, 112 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2012, Comics and Graphic Novels, Superhero
Rating:****1/2

Batman: Noel by Lee Bermejo

I have a slight obsession with Christmas. No, I’m not the kind that advocates that you keep Christ in Christmas or even the kind of guy who goes to church once a year on Christmas Eve. In fact, I’m not religious in the slightest. What I’m all about are the Christmas specials, the movies, the music, the food and spending time with friends and family. Every year it succeeds in making me feel like a kid again as well as bringing back the best memories of my life.

For as long as I can remember, my favorite Christmas special was Mickey’s Christmas Carol. It took a classic Dickens tale and adapted it for those wacky anthropomorphized Disney animals. You had Uncle Scrooge as well.. Scrooge. Mickey was your Bob Cratchit and Goofy played Jacob Marley. There’s also a whole cast of characters that round out the special including a very menacing Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come that scared the crap out of a 5 year old Brandon.

For a long time, it went uncontested as my favorite adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Hell, it didn't even really have competition. That is until I finished Lee Bermejo’s spin on the classic tale with Batman: Noel.

Going into this book, I didn't really have a whole lot of knowledge surrounding the plot. I mean, I knew it was based on A Christmas Carol but I wasn't aware of who was going to play what role. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Batman would play the part of ol’ Ebenezer! I was relieved that it didn't feel gimmicky or spun in a certain way for the character to fit. Bermejo does such a fantastic job relating Bruce Wayne to Ebenezer Scrooge that I wondered how could be written any other way.

The artwork is beautiful as well. Not only did Bermejo write the script but he also drew the damn thing. It’s not often that you've got someone doing both. You can really see the passion that he empties onto the page with numerous full page shots and inventive dialogue – a lot of which was lifted from Dickens story, with a slight spin of course.

Overall, I thought this was an excellent book. It was a little on the short side but it’s also very tightly constructed. I may have to pick this up for myself and make it a yearly read around the holiday season.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
An interesting story, layering Dickens over Batman, drawing parallels and interesting connections between the two stories. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I have never read or seen A Christmas Carol before so I only understand the basics of the story. I have no idea how close this book is to the original, but it has all the main points.

At first I didn't like the art very much because it was too detailed, but I got used to it after a couple pages and it's actually not that bad. I loved how Superman was drawn. And speaking of Superman, I liked that he had a little appearance in this book. I also liked the boots that Batman and Superman were wearing. They were really cool and I have to wonder where they got them.

The only thing I had a problem with was who was Scrooge. In the beginning it is implied that the Joker is Scrooge, but later in the story Batman becomes Scrooge. Maybe the author forgot or maybe he's saying that they both would fit Scrooge's character. Are they both Scrooge or was this just a mistake? ( )
  MichelleL_15 | Jul 17, 2012 |
Now this is a Christmas story I can handle. The Dark Knight meets A Christmas Carol. Batman (Scrooge) meets the proverbial series of ghosts in Catwoman (Past), Superman (Present), and Joker (Future). Great stuff. ( )
  RoeschLeisure | Dec 28, 2011 |
Batman: Noel is Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol set with Batman as Scrooge, Robin as Marley, Catwoman as the Ghost of Christmas Past, Superman as the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Joker as the Ghost of Christmas Future. It's an interesting premise, even if sometimes the molding of Gotham City's cast into the Dickensian world is a bit forced or clunky. The illustrations are amazing, with the dark colors and shading matching the mood of the book. It also serves to reinforce the idea of Batman having become a hardened vigilante instead of the kind of campy superhero of the 1960s TV show. Apparently, this is Lee Bermejo's first time as an author and not just an illustrator, and while this isn't a phenomenal book, it's well done (especially for a newbie author) and I'd be interested to see what else Bermejo produces. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Dec 25, 2011 |

Inspired by Charles Dickens' immortal classic A Christmas Carol, Batman: Noel features different interpretations of The Dark Knight, along with his enemies and allies, in different eras.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible