Maggie for Hire: Book One: Maggie MacKay…

Maggie for Hire: Book One: Maggie MacKay Magical Tracker Series (edition 2011)

by Kate Danley

Member:pandacr
Title:Maggie for Hire: Book One: Maggie MacKay Magical Tracker Series
Authors:Kate Danley
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 286 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Kindle, urban fantasy, humor

Maggie for Hire by Kate Danley

Delightful, fluffy read. What did you expect.

I don't know about you but sometimes I need snarky. I need a smart mouth chick that can kick butt, and I don't really care if she's fighting zombs, vamps, or human bad guys. It's the catharsis and silliness I need. Escapism, if you will.

What you get with MAGGIE FOR HIRE is better than normal worthsmithing for this sort of book. There's a mystery to be solved, and there's snarky remarks on every page. Sometimes they work well, sometimes they don't. When I read this I was easy to entertain... and I was entertained by Kate Daley's book.

My biggest regret, if I were asked to list one, would be that Maggie's elf partner Killian was never more than a 1 dimensional character. Truly, flat as flat could be, and I REALLY wanted to like him a lot more.

Not perfect book. Things are frequently a little too convenient and the secondary characters aren't as much fun as they could be. But MAGGIE FOR HIRE is joyous and mindless fun. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Nov 19, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I really liked the urban fantasy twist that uses magic in one world with portals between that and this world.

The book is written in a very conversational style. There are few details - and lots of snark and conversation. My favorite kind of book! The love interest (at least that is my assumption) is an elf. I like elves. Much better than werewolves. Or vampires. So, I am tickled as punch with the use of an elf as the love interest.

Even though I strongly resist reading anything that involves vampires, I really liked the use in this book. There is not enough detail to be creepy. It is just kind of assumed that you realize vampires are creepy. When the breed does something beyond what is "understood" to be normal for them, the author explains why they are able to do so. (I.E. be out in daylight.) And, the word sparkle was never used in the same sentence.

I purchased this book on a free promotion. As such, I tend to be on the look out for grammar and other writing issues that might (or might not) remove one from the story. Not to nit-pick, but to review for others. I did find the use of the word "bring" instead of "take" which is a personal pet peeve, so it definitely jumped me out of the story. And that could honestly happen to any author. But, I found no other grammar related issues.

The book is written in a very conversational style. If one enjoys a great deal of description or detail, they would be advised to look elsewhere. (Easily explained when I read the author blurb - she writes plays.) The only writing element that really bothered me was the use of chapters. In a 263 page book, there are 44 chapters, with the last one being 13 pages (yes, I counted). The starting and stopping really annoyed me. That being said, each section did seem to be a perfectly logical place to chapter. I also did not like the use of the f-word. (All those who know me know the quickest way to cause me to tune out of any conversation is to use that word.) Therefore, it did make me laugh to see the author apologize to her family for its use in her acknowledgments.

Even for the current price of $2.99, this is a great, fun read. ( )
  SnowNSew | Oct 2, 2013 |
First, let's get out of the way what Maggie isn't - this isn't a "romance" paranormal or not. It isn't a "serious" urban fantasy work in the vein of Kate Daniels or Mercy Thompson. It is, instead, a pure and total snarky laugh riot. It is total enjoyment, a few hours of pure relaxation, where the weight of the world goes away and you can immerse yourself in another world.

"I suddenly felt like I was about to learn that I had walked into a great big game show of The Multiverse's Next Top Stooge, Riiight."

The world that you are immersing yourself in is really two worlds - the "normal" everyday world, and another, sitting side-by-side with this world, where all of our dreams and fears exist. If you have ever read Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast" you are familiar with multiple world theory (well, if you are familiar with modern science, you are also familiar, lol) The Other Side, in Maggie's case, is a world that fairy tale creatures and monsters of all types populate. As a Tracker, Maggie finds, and brings back to the Other Side, those who 'slip' across the barrier between worlds. What happens in this edition is exciting and entertaining, and full of a kind of snarky attitude that had me laughing out loud all through the book.

A couple of favorite quotes:

"Lacy interrupted herself to shout at the zombie porter, "Cut it out! He's a vampire! he doesn't have a brain!"

"Locking eyes with a vampire: "Way To Get Yourself Killed Right Quick #84" in the Idiots Guide to not Getting Dead By A Monster."

See? Pure fun, with a bit of action, a lot of crazy uncle and grins galore.

Now, "I shall run a load of laundry before we kick the bad guys' asses."

Read. Relax. Enjoy. And don't go in with any expectations other than the fact that it is supposed to be fun and you will be very glad you did. ( )
  Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |
I've been meaning to review these 2 Maggie MacKay books since Xmas, because I enjoyed them so much. I found both of them to be pure fun. I bought #2 as soon as I finished #1, & I was not disappointed. The protagonist is intelligent & effective. Also funny. And heroic. There's lots of butt-kicking action & no boring descriptions. There is lots of bad language, but probably nothing you haven't heard before, so don't let that put you off! ( )
  foodairbooks | Feb 15, 2013 |
Maggie MacKay is one of those rare individuals that have the ability to open a portal and travel between the different dimensions, or “worlds,” one of which is called Other Side, filled with all sorts of creepy non-humans; many of whom are causing problems on Earth Side. Someone wants to drop the wall between the worlds so that vampires have free reign in both worlds. And to do that they need a couple of artifacts. Maggie is in a race to find the artifacts and save the world. By her side is an elf named Killian, whose queen foresaw the issue and is tasked with aiding Maggie.

The very first thing that grabs you is the sarcastic wit which reminded me of Maryjanice Davidson’s Betsy series, minus Betsy’s Attention Deficit Disorder. The sarcastic comments run rampant through the story, and I feared at one point that this aspect would hijack the story. But there is plenty of action and the story moves along at a quick pace.

A couple of aspects, though, keep me from giving this story a higher rating. The first is the lack of world building. Plenty of time is spent on Other Side. We’re told that creepy monsters exist over there, but we don’t know much else. The other is that we really don’t know Maggie. We know what her abilities are, that she is smart in a fight, uses sarcasm and swear words constantly, but very little about what makes Maggie, well Maggie. Very little personal history is provided.

But the humor and action definitely make this an enjoyable read. ( )
  dearheart | Jan 29, 2013 |

When monsters appear in Los Angeles, Maggie MacKay is on the job. No one is better at hauling the creepy crawlies back where they belong. No one, that is, except her dad, who disappeared without a trace in the middle of an assignment.

Now an elf named Killian has shown up with a gig. Seems Maggie's uncle is working with the forces of dark to turn Earth into a vampire convenience store, serving bottomless refills on humans.

The only hope for survival lies in tracking down two magical objects and a secret that vanished with Maggie's father.

WARNING: This book contains cussing, brawling, and unladylike behavior. Proceed with caution.

Kate Danley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,926,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible