Maggie for Hire: Book One: Maggie MacKay…

Maggie for Hire: Book One: Maggie MacKay Magical Tracker Series (edition 2011)

by Kate Danley

Title:Maggie for Hire: Book One: Maggie MacKay Magical Tracker Series
Authors:Kate Danley
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 286 pages
Tags:Kindle, urban fantasy, humor

Maggie for Hire by Kate Danley

I enjoyed Maggie for Hire. Maggie comes from a family of different worlds. Her mother is human and has the seer ability. Her father is from the Other World and is a tracker. Maggie has the powers while her twin sister does not.

Maggie's life takes a turn when an Elf named Killian comes to her rescue and proceeds to tell her that she is needed to save both Earth and the Other World. Maggie discovers that she actually has family and it is her evil Uncle Ulrich who she will have to destroy to save the human world from Vampires.

This was a nice easy read for a cold Sunday morning. ( )
  crazy4reading | Oct 4, 2015 |
"Maggie For Hire" is a fast, funny and furious thrill-ride through The Other Side. Kate Danley's second novel hits the ground running and doesn't pause to catch its breath until the final pages. An utterly delicious, guilty-pleasure of a book. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
Two worlds, one contain us and the other containing them — sort of. If all the magical people stayed on the other side, Maggie would have nothing to do but visit her mother and worry about her missing father.

The thing is that creatures can travel between. The legal portals are regulated. Maggie can make the illegal type. Chasing down vampires and ghouls leads her to a partnership with a smoking hot elf and unpaid quest to save the worlds.

I recommend this to anyone who likes a feisty female hero who doesn’t always get it right. ( )
  Perrywilson | Dec 29, 2014 |
Delightful, fluffy read. What did you expect.

I don't know about you but sometimes I need snarky. I need a smart mouth chick that can kick butt, and I don't really care if she's fighting zombs, vamps, or human bad guys. It's the catharsis and silliness I need. Escapism, if you will.

What you get with MAGGIE FOR HIRE is better than normal worthsmithing for this sort of book. There's a mystery to be solved, and there's snarky remarks on every page. Sometimes they work well, sometimes they don't. When I read this I was easy to entertain... and I was entertained by Kate Daley's book.

My biggest regret, if I were asked to list one, would be that Maggie's elf partner Killian was never more than a 1 dimensional character. Truly, flat as flat could be, and I REALLY wanted to like him a lot more.

Not perfect book. Things are frequently a little too convenient and the secondary characters aren't as much fun as they could be. But MAGGIE FOR HIRE is joyous and mindless fun. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Nov 19, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I really liked the urban fantasy twist that uses magic in one world with portals between that and this world.

The book is written in a very conversational style. There are few details - and lots of snark and conversation. My favorite kind of book! The love interest (at least that is my assumption) is an elf. I like elves. Much better than werewolves. Or vampires. So, I am tickled as punch with the use of an elf as the love interest.

Even though I strongly resist reading anything that involves vampires, I really liked the use in this book. There is not enough detail to be creepy. It is just kind of assumed that you realize vampires are creepy. When the breed does something beyond what is "understood" to be normal for them, the author explains why they are able to do so. (I.E. be out in daylight.) And, the word sparkle was never used in the same sentence.

I purchased this book on a free promotion. As such, I tend to be on the look out for grammar and other writing issues that might (or might not) remove one from the story. Not to nit-pick, but to review for others. I did find the use of the word "bring" instead of "take" which is a personal pet peeve, so it definitely jumped me out of the story. And that could honestly happen to any author. But, I found no other grammar related issues.

The book is written in a very conversational style. If one enjoys a great deal of description or detail, they would be advised to look elsewhere. (Easily explained when I read the author blurb - she writes plays.) The only writing element that really bothered me was the use of chapters. In a 263 page book, there are 44 chapters, with the last one being 13 pages (yes, I counted). The starting and stopping really annoyed me. That being said, each section did seem to be a perfectly logical place to chapter. I also did not like the use of the f-word. (All those who know me know the quickest way to cause me to tune out of any conversation is to use that word.) Therefore, it did make me laugh to see the author apologize to her family for its use in her acknowledgments.

Even for the current price of $2.99, this is a great, fun read. ( )
  SnowNSew | Oct 2, 2013 |

When monsters appear in Los Angeles, Maggie MacKay is on the job. No one is better at hauling the creepy crawlies back where they belong. No one, that is, except her dad, who disappeared without a trace in the middle of an assignment.

Now an elf named Killian has shown up with a gig. Seems Maggie's uncle is working with the forces of dark to turn Earth into a vampire convenience store, serving bottomless refills on humans.

The only hope for survival lies in tracking down two magical objects and a secret that vanished with Maggie's father.

WARNING: This book contains cussing, brawling, and unladylike behavior. Proceed with caution.

Kate Danley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible