Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward…

Eisenhower in War and Peace (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jean Edward Smith

Member:BellaFoxx
Title:Eisenhower in War and Peace
Authors:Jean Edward Smith
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 976 pages
Collections:Read, Library Book
Rating:***
Tags:2012, Biography, Non-Fiction, eBooks, Eisenhower, Jean Edward Smith, Library Book, Liked it ♥, President of US, History

Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith (2012)

A wonderful book. As a youth, I lived through this and Ike or someone like him, was always ipresident, 'The authior is somewhat late, which means he]
gets a lot of stuff right. This is not a book for Monty bashers, For one thing, he was right: Ike was a bad general who could really manage people. It shows up more when he is president. Montgomery is fine with Ike as supreme commander, but does not think his military role is correct, when
Ike takes over the direction of the armies, One problem in the book is that we never find out whether Ike added time to the war,, but there were always '

russ ( )
  annbury | May 12, 2018 |
A fantastic read about one of the great Americans in history. I had read very little about Eisenhower before this book, and I now realize how much I have been missing out on the knowledge of a great figure.

This book covers all of Ike's life with the first third focused on his career and rise to power, the second third on his time during World War II, and the third third on his Presidency. Ike's rise through the Army was not terribly interesting, but reading about a peace time army is not exciting by definition. I really enjoyed the World War II section (I always enjoy reading about World War II), and thought the author did an outstanding job of highlighting both the successful and failed decisions and leadership of Ike. I learned the most reading the section on his Presidency, and again thought the author was very fair in his analysis.

I know I am not saying much in this review, but I think the best compliment I can give to a book is that it makes me want to read more about the many topics it touched on. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
A fabulous read, and a pleasure to learn about this man, our President for 8 years. A man whose intellect and temperament made him such an outstanding leader. This is the first book I have read by Jean Edward Smith, and his prose provides you with a sense of him speaking directly to you, the reader. It was just a pleasure being in the company of the author and the President, General Eisenhower. Reading this over the past year, (no fault of the book or writing), and during the time of the DJT presidency, it made you yearn for a man and a time when such a wise, calm, confident person was at the helm. Thank you, Jean Edward Smith, for this book. Anyone with interest in this President, and his life in battle and in office will not be disappointed. ( )
  ilovemycat1 | Jan 6, 2018 |
Very good book on the life of Dwight Eisenhower. I had a fear upon buying this book that the hundred pages devoted to his presidency would not be enough and leave me unsatisfied. However, upon reading the book, I realized that I was mistaken. All the major events of his presidency were covered and with good background explanations of each. Of course, being a lover of history, there is still a part of me that wants more details (especially on the U2 incident, Suez Crisis and the Iranian Coup) but i think Smith's explanation would be more than enough for some casual readers. I will also have to warn people that they are numerous comparisons with President Grant which can irritate some readers (so many anecdotes on President Grant that I have decided to buy Chernow's book on Grant rather than Smith's for fear that i might read the same anecdotes all over again).
Please also note that while Eisenhower's pre-presidential career is covered in great and entertaining detail, (So entertaining that it is hard to put down) his post-presidential career is not given too much attention. There is so much that happened after he stepped down,and which he witnessed, (such as JFK's assassination) that I feel they should not have been omitted from the book. As a result, i downgraded my rating from five to four stars. ( )
  zen_923 | Nov 26, 2017 |
I'm about 2/3 of the way through this, and although it's taking me a long time to finish, I'm enjoying it very much. Eisenhower is perhaps one of the more under-rated presidents, and I really like how Smith handles his presidency. Also gives good insight into how Eisenhower managed the European war. ( )
  bravewoman | Feb 3, 2017 |
Eisenhower emerged from the war a national hero and obvious presidential candidate, though he coyly brushed aside such speculation. (Smith considers it likely that Ike seriously considered divorcing Mamie and marrying Kay Summersby but was led by his ambition to end their wartime affair with a cold-hearted letter in 1945.) His deliberate political ecumenicalism kept everyone guessing about Eisenhower's aspirations — indeed, even his party affiliation — until 1952, when he allowed Massachusetts Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. to declare him in sympathy with "enlightened Republican doctrine" and squared off against Robert Taft, a U.S. senator from Ohio, for the nomination.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140006693X, Hardcover)

In his magisterial bestseller FDR, Jean Edward Smith gave us a fresh, modern look at one of the most indelible figures in American history. Now this peerless biographer returns with a new life of Dwight D. Eisenhower that is as full, rich, and revealing as anything ever written about America’s thirty-fourth president. As America searches for new heroes to lead it out of its present-day predicaments, Jean Edward Smith’s achievement lies in reintroducing us to a hero from the past whose virtues have become clouded in the mists of history.

Here is Eisenhower the young dreamer, charting a course from Abilene, Kansas, to West Point, to Paris under Pershing, and beyond. Drawing on a wealth of untapped primary sources, Smith provides new insight into Ike’s maddening apprenticeship under Douglas MacArthur in Washington and the Philippines. Then the whole panorama of World War II unfolds, with Eisenhower’s superlative generalship forging the Allied path to victory through multiple reversals of fortune in North Africa and Italy, culminating in the triumphant invasion of Normandy. Smith also gives us an intriguing examination of Ike’s finances, details his wartime affair with Kay Summersby, and reveals the inside story of the 1952 Republican convention that catapulted him to the White House.

Smith’s chronicle of Eisenhower’s presidential years is as compelling as it is comprehensive. Derided by his detractors as a somnambulant caretaker, Eisenhower emerges in Smith’s perceptive retelling as both a canny politician and a skillful, decisive leader. Smith convincingly portrays an Eisenhower who engineered an end to America’s three-year no-win war in Korea, resisted calls for preventative wars against the Soviet Union and China, and boldly deployed the Seventh Fleet to protect Formosa from invasion. This Eisenhower, Smith shows us, stared down Khrushchev over Berlin and forced the withdrawal of British, French, and Israeli forces from the Suez Canal. He managed not only to keep the peace—after Ike made peace in Korea, not one American soldier was killed in action during his tenure—but also to enhance America’s prestige in the Middle East and throughout the world.

Domestically, Eisenhower reduced defense spending, balanced the budget, constructed the interstate highway system, and provided social security coverage for millions who were self-employed. Ike believed that traditional American values encompassed change and progress.

Unmatched in insight, Eisenhower in War and Peace at last gives us an Eisenhower for our time—and for the ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

A peerless biographer returns with a new life of Dwight D. Eisenhower that is as full, rich, and revealing as anything ever written about America's thirty-fourth president.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,931,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible