25 Things to Say to the Interviewer, to Get…

25 Things to Say to the Interviewer, to Get the Job You Want

by Dexter Hawk

25 Things to Say to the Interviewer to Get the Job You Want by Dexter Hawk was a quick read, and its reviews on Amazon are mostly either five star or one star; you either hate it or you love it. I would recommend this book to a graduating student who is out there interviewing for the first time. But he might have a hard time saying some of the 25 things without experience to prove it. Here's the list:

1. I don't guess or assume anything.
2. I'm ready for problems before my boss and they are staring me in the face.
3. I take responsibility when things go wrong.
4. I crank out more work than is expected of me.
5. I compete fair and square.
6. I've serious goals; I work hard for them.
7. I write lucid, succinct memoranda.
8. I'm always on time.
9. I'll get to know my business.
10. I read trade magazines.
11. I fit in anywhere.
12. I understand boss-speak.
13. I'm looking for a career.
14. I've a sense of humor.
15. I take a stand only on big issues.
16. I don't dismiss or underestimate anyone.
17. I get to know and learn what everyone in my company is doing.
18. I don't waste time settling scores.
19. I deliver on my promises.
20. I don't whine or complain.
21. I've a good sense of timing.
22. I keep my mouth shut (to both co-workers and outsiders).
23. I speak the truth.
24. I turn out good work.
25. I get along with my co-workers; I make myself get along with my boss.

I thought back to my last corporate interview-- a job I didn't get-- and wonder if it would have made a difference had I incorporated some of the above-- namely #11, 12, 15 and #22. Hawk goes quickly through the points, mainly giving his rote interview sentences that go along. The point is to get the job, not necessarily to be completely honest (because nobody does #22).

I think one can argue that all 25 points are biblical, or could find a Bible verse or anecdote to go with them. Truthfulness (#23), going above-and-beyond (#4), and humility (#16) are all found in the list.

As such, I liked the book. Not much meat in it-- no advice on how to insert these things to your cover letter, for example. But I'd recommend it to someone graduating from school going on interviews the first time. 3 stars out of 5. ( )
1 vote justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
There were probably a couple helpful tidbits but frankly, the author and I seem to have different goals and values so, this book was not very insightful. ( )
1 vote jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
This "life-changing book" is full of things I already knew. The advice seems to pertain more to how to behave in a job you already have, than to getting a job you want. Not very helpful for me, at least. ( )
  soul_toast | Sep 23, 2008 |

Dexter Hawk, who holds an MBA in marketing and who has single-handedly launched four businesses in consumer products, real estate, and technology, has interviewed literally hundreds of potential employees along the way. Here, he offers listeners invaluable advice for how to land the dream job.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,720,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible