Mind Games by Kiersten White

Mind Games (edition 2013)

by Kiersten White

Member:mimosa.stimulus
Title:Mind Games
Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult

Mind Games by Kiersten White

Recently added bysamanthawarren, amym53, sreeparna, private library, blog_gal, WenonaSchool, lunaivashkov

This book was not what I expected...I couldn't relate to any of the characters and I found myself annoyed at many spots in the book. The novel has two POVs and it switches from past to present, which made everything very confusing. I think that the concept is interesting, but it wasn't developed well. I will not be reading the sequel.

My Goodreads: fantasticalcatherine ( )
  lifeshiddengems | Jul 14, 2014 |
I can’t even summon the energy to dislike this book. It’s just. . .
MEH.

I had such high hopes for this one. I LOVE books about siblings, especially books that aren’t contemporary and that have ACTION and ADVENTURE and siblings trying to protect each other. Those types of books make me feel warm & fuzzy while also putting me through the emotional wringer(because one sibling always gets hurt, of course).

So, let’s break this down, shall we?

WRITING: So, the writing is incredibly scattered and disjointed and repetitive and redundant(see what I did there?). I get that this was a conscious choice on White’s part to give us access into the sister’s incredibly messed-up heads. I get it. I get it. I get it.(That’s sort of how many parts of the book are written). It’s a stylistic choice, but one I don’t think worked well for this book.

I like unique writing styles & experimental writing–which is why I liked Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. But in that case, while the writing was incredibly subjective and risky, I thought it worked for the story. Did I get annoyed at times? Yes. But not like I did in Mind Games, because in Mind Games, I think White tries to use this experimental writing to carry the weight of the book, and it doesn’t really work.

CHARACTERS: Supposedly, there are two main characters in this book–Annie and Fia, the sisters. The chapters alternate from their POVs, which could be great, except they sound exactly the same(except Fia’s a little bit more messed up, I think). Fia has perfect instincts, Annie is blind but sometimes sees the future, and their goal is to the protect each other. Those are their ONLY defining characteristics, and all of that is stated upfront in the summary.

PLOT: There was plot at the beginning. I have no idea what happened to it. This book actually started out really well, in the midst of an action sequence, and then. . . things got a little hazy after that.

After reading this, you might think I really disliked Mind Games. But, truth is, I didn’t, because I couldn’t bring myself to care about the story enough to dislike it. In fact, this is the most apathetic I’ve been about a book in a long while(forcing myself to actually write about it at length was a bit torturous), which is never a good thing. Mind Games has a fascinating premise and a decent enough start, but somewhere around page 30 it all tapered off into a strange writing experiment with not much plot and really, not much differences between the two main characters.

Final Impression: Here it is, one last resounding MEH. This isn’t a terrible book, but it also isn’t a good book. It’s just kinda there, and I have way too many exciting books on my shelf to read for me to spend much time with this book or to recommend it. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 5 stars
Pace: 4 stars

There's something about the voice in this one that had me from page one. It made for a VERY quick read, maybe 2 hours total start to finish, but delicious anyway. Cotton candy with complexity, it sucked me in and made me want more. That's really all I ask of YA these days. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
Review first published on fefferbooks.com. I won an advanced reader copy of this book directly from the author via twitter. The review below is in no way influenced by this consideration.

I received a lovely, glossy, *autographed* copy of Mind Games right from the hands of Kiersten White herself. I’d like to pretend it’s because I’m superfancy, but really it’s just because I follow her on Twitter like the giant book geek I am, and I won a contest. But still: how cool is that?? An author mailed me a book! In the mail! For free! And I got to choose which one I wanted. I was pretty excited.

Before I read Mind Games, I saw several reviews here on Goodreads along the lines of “It wasn't White’s best/I didn't love it as much as her vampire books blahblah,” so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved the synopsis. I was just as pleased by my experience with the book. This was my first exposure to White, and I really loved her writing. She has an excellent ability to throw you immediately inside the head of her main character. It’s an interesting trick, in Mind Games, making you connect with Fia, when the first thing you learn about her is that she’s about to murder someone. The entire book is spent playing mental catch-up with Fia and her sister, Annie, and I thought it was great fun putting the pieces together. The structure is clever and the characters are unique and memorable. I’ll be adding more of Kiersten White to my reading list, for sure!

No swearing, sex, or smut. (yay!) Fight scenes and some blood, but not portrayed in a gory way. 4 stars. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
This is a fluid sci/fi psychological thriller with a cast of teen and adult psychics.

I will admit, up front, that I love Kiersten White books. So, it is no surprise that I loved this one.

It was a little jarring to switch time frames continually, but it worked in the end.

Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

"Seventeen-year-old Fia and her sister, Annie, are trapped in a school that uses young female psychics and mind readers as tools for corporate espionage--and if Fia doesn't play by the rules of their deadly game, Annie will be killed"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible