Mind Games by Kiersten White

Mind Games (edition 2013)

by Kiersten White

Member:mimosa.stimulus
Title:Mind Games
Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult

Mind Games by Kiersten White

I couldn't finish this novel. There are other books by White that I really like, but this one just falls short. I've read almost half of the book, and most of it has been spent describing two girls who are sisters, each with their own unique mental ability. The girls are being kept at a "school" where they were sent after their parents died. Constant flashbacks throughout the book tell the backstory of how and why they ended up as slaves for an organization that uses both girls to meet their own needs. There seems to be no way out for these girls, and even if there is, the possibility of a normal or even happy life seems impossible. I'm not particularly fond of either main character or the boys that are becoming part of their lives. It is simply an unhappy story about unhappy people living in an unhappy world. Very depressing and not much fun to read. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
Now, I have read five of Kiersten White's books, and I feel as through my attachment to them varies. She has fantastic concepts, and always uses a new twist on her stories that I have no doubt whatsoever appeal to younger readers. I liked her Paranormalcy triolgy and was a little disappointed in The Chaos of the Stars.

Mind Games was right in the middle. Yes, the two sisters felt similar. Yes, the bouncing around in first person between two characters in both past and present was annoying. But the story? The story was really good. Enough secrets were unearthed that I wasn't frustrated with plot progression, and enough remained buried that I certainly intend to read the next book.

White writes with an edge I really like. She is witty and opinionated and believes in strong, original female characters that have every right to fall in love, but don't lose themselves in it, and I think that distinction is very important and certainly separates her from most of the YA Teen Romance writers. I really like her.

I also liked Fia. I think it's her best character, from what I've read of her so far. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 18, 2016 |
So I'm not going to write a full review for this one since a lot has already been said and I'm behind the times, however here are some thoughts:

-Fia's narration is very stream-of-consciousness and I think that will bother some people, but I loved it.
-Fia is quite broken and I'm a fan of anti-heroes and liked her a lot.
-The world-building is a little weak since we don't find out where the powers come from, but it felt natural to me since Annie and Fia had a lot of other things to worry about. I could see this being developed in future books. There is an explanation for how the school came to be, even though it's brief ;-).
-I loved Annie and Fia's relationship, both because it was nice for a sisterly relationship to be the driving factor in a story and because Annie's blindness added a whole new protective dynamic that pulled at my heart.
-There is kind of a love triangle, but it worked for me which is rare. The two guys are very different and reflect the two people Fia could be: the ruthless killer she is now or the sane girl she used to be and wants to recover.
-I liked the time jumps and perspective switches that kept some of the mystery but slowly filled things in. It was a lot better than the characters just rehashing the past in order to let the reader in on it.

And now I must go read Perfect Lies! ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
I was able to read Mind Games free, thanks for Harper Collins. They had a free copy available to read online for a limited time.

While the back and forth time line gives us better background into the story, at some times it was confusing as you are reading from both sisters point of view too.

I like how each of the characters were built into the story. Even though I don't like all the characters. Who falls in love with a stranger? and then stays in love with that person even though they are the bad guy?

I do enjoy the ending! That's a big plus. I didn't see it coming! I will probably read the next instalment just to see what happens :)

Limited time free copy available via Harper Collins
http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780062135322&pg... ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading this! I could hardly put it down after I started it! It is completely different from the Paranormalcy trilogy (which I loved!); it's much darker and the mind games [sic!] that the sisters go through makes your head hurt. I can't wait to dive in to the sequel, [b:Perfect Lies|12578370|Perfect Lies (Mind Games, #2)|Kiersten White|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1371218408s/12578370.jpg|17589154]. ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |

"Seventeen-year-old Fia and her sister, Annie, are trapped in a school that uses young female psychics and mind readers as tools for corporate espionage--and if Fia doesn't play by the rules of their deadly game, Annie will be killed"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible