The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima

The Crimson Crown (2012)

by Cinda Williams Chima

3741928,918 (4.42)24

This is classified as ya, and while I concur, it does seem to push the envelope a little.

I was hoping for an ending to the series, but it is obvious at the end that the story could go multi-national, as opposed to the internal we'd been having.

Lots of young love and doubt with some flashy magic'y stuff. If there is another book, I highly doubt I'll be interested enough to read it. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Great last book to series. All problems brought up in earlier books are resolved satisfactorily and imaginatively. I look forward to more from Cinda Williams Chima. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Great ending of a series.. A lot of action and suprises! ( )
  dom76 | Jan 8, 2016 |
Not spoilers so much as a general overview of the series as a whole.

Another ending series, the whole of which was altogether enjoyable. The Crimson Crown is the culmination of a lot of groundwork in the first three novels of the series. Raisa is now about to be crowned queen, both of the nobles and the clans. Neither side is sure of the other, as the nobles don’t trust the clans and the clans don’t trust magic, even the few of their own who have studied it and are accomplished wizards. All three sides compete to present a possible husband for Raisa, who only loves one man, who only loves her—Han Alister, a man taken in by her father, head of an important clan, who sends Han to learn to be a wizard. He doesn’t want Raisa to marry Han, he wants her to marry someone else he has chosen to take over the clan after him, Windwalker. And the wizards want her to marry Micah Bayer, another Wizard—the Bayers have been ruling over the Wizards for a very long time, and there are some that would be more than happy to see them overturned. The Wizards and the clan refuse to trust each other until they have no choice and are betrayed from within by their own commander, and then enemies to the East. Their leader also wants to, you guessed it, marry Raisa. She’s gotten to be awfully popular. She knows with fair certainty that the men, other than Han, want to marry her to use her as a pawn, and at times she’s not too certain of Han, either. When you end up under siege in your own castle, I’d be pretty suspicious of everyone as well. This is an excellent conclusion, where good pretty much triumphs and evil pretty much loses, but not without losses and a good deal of grey remaining. The air is so thick with lies at times it’s almost palpable, and while we’re reminded that Raisa is still queen with responsibilities to think of what’s best for everyone, she’s heartbroken at the same time, and it takes a lot of prodding from her friends to get her out of her sorrow and into a place where she can make decisions again. Raisa learns how truly difficult it is to keep peace, which is all she wants, when there are so many opposed to her who are ready to battle each other at a moment’s notice, even her own family. The writing is strong, characters are well developed (I actually did feel sorry for Micah Bayer in parts—I do think he wanted to break away from his father, he just didn’t have the strength), but changeable as they need to be in order to try to accomplish what they need to do, whether it be supporting Raisa or the enemy. Or an enemy that isn’t known to be an enemy who’s supporting Raisa—The Crimson Crown felt much more complicated than the ones before it in the series. It had to fill in a lot of gaps from the past, break long held beliefs on the clan’s part, and still end up with Raisa prevailing. Well, hopefully. One relationship that is definitely intriguing is the one between Han and Crow, which progresses significantly. Altogether, I feel satisfied with the conclusion, not left hanging anywhere, and will have to read them all back to back at some point so I get everything instead of having read them over the course of four years. ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Perfect ending to a great series. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
For my grandfather E.C. Bryan
It was the largest gathering of the Spirit clans Raisa had ever seen.

"In the fourth and final novel in the Seven Realms series, Queen Raisa 'ana Marianna and Han Alister join forces to right a thousand-year-old wrong"--

Cinda Williams Chima is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible