Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern…

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Sally Bedell Smith

Member:lycomayflower
Title:Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch
Authors:Sally Bedell Smith
Info:Random House (2012), Hardcover, 688 pages
Collections:Yearly Top Five Reads, 5-Star Reads, Your library, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:20th century, 21st century, american, britain, history, biography

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch by Sally Bedell Smith (2011)

Long read, but then she's lived a long life! While not an official biography, but lots of help getting it written. Very interesting read, learned a lot of history. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This biography is very interesting to me, her childhood or lack of it and her stoic behavior through her lifetime is very interesting to me to read about.
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed looking at nearly a century of history through the life of the Queen of England. I didn't know anything about her life! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book as an excellent overview of Queen Elizabeth II’s public life and reign over England and the British Commonwealth. The queens life spans many decades that have seen great change in the world and her ability to handle the changes that she was forced to address. Born into a life where tradition and duty determined her daily life she has fared well forming her own disciplined routines. Her public persona has much to admire: her energy, dedication to duty, and vitality.

The book stresses her role in maintaining the desire of the people for the continuation of British Monarchy and the Commonwealth both of which are a amazing legacy considering the many and fast paced changes that occurred during the twentieth centaury. We get an overview of the monarchs role in government but nothing is shared about her private political views or true family life. And if any are ever revealed it will not be during her reign.

The author has given us a well written and researched volume. It is a easy to read book that has a positive bias toward EIIR (Queen Elizabeth II.) The writing engages the reader and the photos only enhance the experience of the visible life of the queen. If the book had a more even handed approach to the queens life it would have definitely rated five stars. My overall assessment is that this book is well worth the read and very interesting. ( )
  hermit | Jan 16, 2015 |
For Stephen

From the moment of her ascension to the throne in 1952 at the age of twenty-five, Queen Elizabeth II has been the object of unparalleled scrutiny. But through the fog of glamour and gossip, how well do we really know the world’s most famous monarch? Drawing on numerous interviews and never-before-revealed documents, acclaimed biographer Sally Bedell Smith pulls back the curtain to show in intimate detail the public and private lives of Queen Elizabeth II, who has led her country and Commonwealth through the wars and upheavals of the last sixty years with unparalleled composure, intelligence, and grace.

In Elizabeth the Queen, we meet the young girl who suddenly becomes “heiress presumptive” when her uncle abdicates the throne. We meet the thirteen-year-old Lilibet as she falls in love with a young navy cadet named Philip and becomes determined to marry him, even though her parents prefer wealthier English aristocrats. We see the teenage Lilibet repairing army trucks during World War II and standing with Winston Churchill on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on V-E Day. We see the young Queen struggling to balance the demands of her job with her role as the mother of two young children. Sally Bedell Smith brings us inside the palace doors and into the Queen’s daily routines—the “red boxes” of documents she reviews each day, the weekly meetings she has had with twelve prime ministers, her physically demanding tours abroad, and the constant scrutiny of the press—as well as her personal relationships: with Prince Philip, her husband of sixty-four years and the love of her life; her children and their often-disastrous marriages; her grandchildren and friends.

Compulsively readable and scrupulously researched, Elizabeth the Queen is a close-up view of a woman we’ve known only from a distance, illuminating the lively personality, sense of humor, and canny intelligence with which she meets the most demanding work and family obligations. It is also a fascinating window into life at the center of the last great monarchy.

Drawing on numerous interviews and never-before-revealed documents, acclaimed biographer Sally Bedell Smith pulls back the curtain to show in intimate detail the public and private lives of Queen Elizabeth II, who has led her country and Commonwealth through the wars and upheavals of the last sixty years with unparalleled composure, intelligence, and grace.… (more)

114 wanted2 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible