Agincourt, 1415 by Anne Curry

Agincourt, 1415 (2008)

by Anne Curry (Editor)

192537,190 (3.33)None

Oddly enough, {Agincourt: 1415 The Archer's Story} really has one chapter dedicated to the bowman of that particular battle. I felt a bit mislead by the title. Up to that point the book was fairly informative and interesting with chapters on Henry V, the battle itself, and (finally) the book's namesake. This piece then wanders off into a biography of Sir Thomas Erpingham. Don't get me wrong, as alleged commander of the archers at Agincourt, Sir Thomas did deserve prominence in this book, but I felt that he dominated it instead of complimenting.
Be forewarned, this book is made up of essays from several different auhors, which in itself is not a bad thing if they were essays illustrating different aspects of the longbowman or the battle. Like I said earlier, waaaay to much emphasis on Erpingham (there is an excruciating chapter on Norfolk architecture inspired by and featuring him!). An essay on his role in the two different "Henry V" films delivered the coup de grace' for me. Very dissapointed in a book that I was really looking forward to reading and wasted on vacation. ( )
  Poleaxe | Jun 2, 2010 |
There are essays in this book I really enjoyed, and others that were simply too much historical navel gazing. The essays on Henry V, employment on the Longbow, Agincourt in Shakespeare, biographical information on Thomas Erpingham were all great and helpful. The chapters on Erpingham's life in Norfolk were way more than I needed to know. ( )
  ksmyth | Aug 18, 2006 |

Curry, AnneEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hardy, RobertForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Take him all round and he was, I think, the greatest man that ever ruled England.'

For many commentators then and now, it was the English archers who won the day for Henry V. This new history re-tells the story of the battle and Henry V's Normandy campaign from the perspective of the reputed commander of the English archers, Sir Thomas Erpingham. Sir Thomas, an experienced warrior with military experience dating back 40 years is known for his brief but pivotal appearances in Shakespeare's Henry V, where he is correctly portrayed as an elderly, white haired veteran. At 57 he was one of the oldest there and a close personal confident of the King. But what was his background? How did he command his archers to such a place in history? And what role did the longbow and battlefield tactics play in the final analysis of victory?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible