Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:ewyatt
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:LibraryThing Early Reviewers, romance, travel, college, identity

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (64)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (66)
Such a perfect book.

The middle was a bit slow for a few chapters, but that was my only complaint. And, actually, I think it helped the story more than hurt it. I found myself as frustrated as Allyson in those parts.

I love how real the characters were. I didn't especially like Melanie or Allyson's mom at first, but they did have good sides. I did like them by the end, and even almost liked Celine.

And it ended with such a cliffhanger! I'm so glad I waited for both books to be out before I read this. The moment I get home tonight, I'm going to start reading the sequel. ( )
  books-cats-love | Jul 21, 2014 |
That was disappointing. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
OK--will probably buy this because it was relatively clean but.....

Good Girl Allyson on a trip through Europe (graduation present from the parents) decides to take a chance and go to Paris for just one day on an adventure with Shakespearean Actor Willem. Within 24 hours she sees a bit of Paris, meets his ex-girlfriend (plus sees him pick up or at least try to pick up several others), goes on a boatride that costs her $100 "emergency money" gets chased by skinheads and ends up sleeping with him in a house that they have broken into only to be abandoned by him the next morning.

She gets out of there by the miracles of knowing just the right person (since she is stuck in Paris with no money) and gets back to the US but still can't forget about this guy that she only knows his first name and that is from Holland.

College is a disaster until she realizes that she is not Pre-Med material (that had been Mom and Dad's idea) and gets into a Shakespeare class where she meets Dee who is the best part of the book. A young black man who can change his personality like some folks change their clothes and be just "who you want him to be" or "who you think he should be".

THat summer she decides that she has to go back to Paris to try to find Willem once more and works like crazy to get the money plus taking a French class. Even turns down contribution from Mommy which is also a good thing.

(Spoiler Alert!!!) Paris is better this time. Meets up with folks who are willing to help, but also keeps finding out that Willem is a bit of a jerk. Through a whole bunch of circumstances that are just too good to be true, she does finally find him only to end the book and wait for a sequel.

Relatively clean and wish that it had ended about 10 pages before it did. As it is it is the teen girls "dream" of "Well, he's a jerk but he's my jerk and now we'll live happily ever after because love changes him." Bah Humbug.

Likes: The fact that Allyson has a college counselor who sticks up for her and gets her on the right track
The fact that Allyson actually realizes the Willem is probably a jerk.
The fact that Allyson makes her own money to take this trip to Europe rather than taking from her parents. (Never had a real job in high school? Really????) There is a level of maturity there that you don't always find.

Dislikes:
Willem is a jerk! I don't care if he got beat up by skinheads and that is why he didn't come back for you--he is a jerk!
Loved Dee--wish that there was a book just about him (Would like to think there will be in the sequel but not sure) ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jun 14, 2014 |
I'm not one for sappy true love novel but Gayle Forman, you may have made me a believer. I cried, not hypothetical tears, but real sopping tears that blurred my makeup and stung my eyes. Funny, heartbreaking, and achingly beautiful, Just One Day tells a story about Allyson, an American teen in Europe before she starts her first year in college. As her trip nears its end, she meets a boy, Willem, at a Shakespearean play and spend one magical day with him before he disappears. Heartbroken, Allyson returns to Boston and starts school confused, depressed, and shell-shocked. As she enrolls in a Shakespearian class, she finds the courage to open up her story to those around her, gather her courage, and find her identity in the city she found love, Paris.

It's a great story overall but it can get quite annoying when you realize the turmoil she feels and the subsequent search is all due to a boy. But a boy who led her to figure out who she is and not who she should be. ( )
  sushiroll | Jun 3, 2014 |
Two things:

1)It's the kind of plot I would have loved as a teen, but as a mother, the thought of my daughter reading it makes me cringe. That said, I did enjoy it.

2) I really liked these characters, and found their story believable (if frustrating, but that's the point). But I was constantly irritated by the author's use of "she loved him, so she just knew" to avoid having to explain any plot holes. Weak, from an otherwise strong writer. And, by the same token, if Allyson "just knows" everything she needs to know, why the bleep didn't she look for a note when he left? LAME.

An entertaining read, plot-holes and all. Loved all the ancillary characters and the attention to detail in the settings. Good character development and an interesting ending. Bummer: some language.

More on this and other reviews on fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible