Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:ewyatt
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:LibraryThing Early Reviewers, romance, travel, college, identity

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (75)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (77)
I recently read If I Stay and Where She Went and really enjoyed the two book series, so I had to get my hands on another one of Gayle Forman's books. I ordered Just One Day and dug right in. I enjoyed it but not as much as I enjoyed the other two books.

The story was pretty interesting and I wanted to know what would happen between Allyson and Willem. How romantic to meet someone in a different country and have a day to spend together! Allyson was really trying to figure out who she was, her parents always made all the decisions for her and really not allow her to express what she really wanted in life. It was nice to see her discover herself through this whole experience.

I do have to complain that Allyson was way to depressed/sad over Willem. I feel that realistically, she would of met new friends/boyfriend at college and just moved on from that chapter in her life and maybe think about Willem once in awhile. Just made her seem a little pathetic in my book, especially when she was aware that he was a player.

I have to agree with others about the ending, it was like all that and that's the ending?!?!? I would of liked a little bit more.....guess I might need to read the sequel to get the answers/closure I need.” ( )
  BeckyGandee | Apr 23, 2015 |
This book was read because I wanted to try this author and it was chosen as a monthly read by a group I am in. Personally I did not find this book enjoyable. The author tried, I am just an emotional reader. The characters were believable, it was I did not want to feel "sorry" for "Lulu." The story was a coming of age and the author presented the roller coaster of emotions. I can see why the author wrote some of the actions in the story, I just did not agree with all the actions. I will suggest this book to some of my young adult readers, I just won't finish the rest of the series really soon. Great writing, just not my cup of tea. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Apr 13, 2015 |
What is that endiiiiiiing *cries* ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
I should give this 4.5 stars because of one major drawback!! The absolute only drawback about this book is that I have to wait until "Fall 2013" to read Willem's side in Just One Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Gayle Forman is a wonderful writer. I loved her other duology, If I Stay and Where She Went, and I think this is another one on that list. I first liked it because the premise of traveling. But it's so much more than that. It's about finding yourself, and taking risks. I enjoyed watching Allyson find herself in her journey to find Willem. That's the real story not the short romance between the two. I also enjoyed that there is more to Willem then the player that so many people make him out to be. I'm sure that reading the next book, in Willem's perspective, will only increase his worth in my eyes. It's a young adult book but I think any adult can find something in here to love and take away. It's not as intense as If I Stay, it has a different flow to it, but it's a pretty great book too. Recommended. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 5, 2015 |
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,716,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible