Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:Ziaria
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (93)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All (95)
Just One Day is about how love and a single day can really change your entire life. How accidents can lead to life changing events and some times when these accidents occur we should look to see where it's pointing us. The story starts with Allyson traveling with her best friend, Melanie, on a Youth Tour in Europe, just before starting college. Allyson is not the adventurous type nor is she not one to take risks, in fact she's more of a follower and pretty uptight. However, one lie led her to a Shakespearean play that led her to a boy and when that one boy ends up on the same train, she takes a risk and go to Paris with him. A trip that changes everything and sends her on a year long desire to reconnect with this one mysterious boy and to figure out what happened in Paris. A year long trip that turns into a self-discovery journey helping her to redefine who she is and what she wants from her future.

I loved If I Stay and thought I'd check out the other books by Gayle Forman. I really enjoyed Just One Day. I thought that Allyson (Lulu) was a great character and was well developed. I really enjoyed her transformation and the storyline. I especially like how Williem remains a mystery throughout the entire story but we get glimpses that makes us hopeful he isn't the douche bag that he seems to portray. It was a good story about first love and self-discovery. Also, that ending! GAH! I needed more, what happened? ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
This was both charming and meaningful - something you don't often see in the same book. I know alot of folks loved If I Stay but I preferred Just One Day. In a word: delightful.
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
A fun young adult book, but not great literature. The main character was well developed and likable girl named Allison. My favorite character was her college friend Dee. The plot was interesting and it really drew me in. I wanted to know what would happen next. I must say, however, that I HATED the ending, but since that would be a spoiler I won't say more about that. The one thing I found unconvincing was Allison's mother. ( )
  KamGeb | Feb 5, 2017 |
It's amusing and slightly funny too given that I don't read such kind of books. Such meaning novellas that talk of 'love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the “accidents” of fate.' But yes, I read this one and its sequel and the e-book epilogue as well. This is a YA work of fiction. Only it doesn't so much sound fictitious. Replace Paris with any other city of the world, what Allyson & Willem experienced has essentially happened with many of us. I am not saying I travelled with some stranger bloke to an unknown city but yes, I've spoken and shared my heart with strangers in metropolis.

I've always had a complaint with myself that I never read YA books while growing up. I was into more serious, classical reading back then. Now, when I read these books, they seem heart-warmingly right and acute of the growing years. I read this over the night, and the last word touched down the future of the characters in my mind. I read with my heart. So yes, it affects me deeply when people I grow familiar with in books suffer misery and pain and heartbreak. This is my first Gayle Forman book and I'm so impressed with her writing. I've always appreciated YA writers because we need more of them in today's deconstructed society, this de-structured world which simply ignores/assaults/forgets children and Young Adults.

This review be taken as a review for all the wonderful experiences and memories we have all got in our lives. There are all kinds of debates about love and longing. Its just personal. Individual- I say. We need these walks and travels and conversations with strangers. We really do. It takes a lifetime to build up memories. What is a mere 'day' then? Before starting the book, I had this faint idea that the plot sounded like the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset movies. I've had so many conversations with my own self while reading 'Just one day.' Isn't that the mark of a good book? It lets you have your voice speak up. I am thoroughly connected with both Lulu and Willem. And because I LOVE Shakespeare they will stay with me for a long time. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
At the end of her guided European tour, Allison meets a handsome Dutch actor and takes off with him for a day in Paris. When she wakes the next morning, he has disappeared, and she needs to know why. ( )
  lilibrarian | Nov 18, 2016 |
For Tamar: sister, travel companion, friend --who, incidentally, went and married her Dutchman
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gayle Forman's book Just One Day was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible