Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:Ziaria
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (88)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (90)
'Just One Day' proves that anything can happen in the span of a few hours, or in the case of "Lulu," a few minutes. Her encounter with free-spirited Willem shocks her out of the monotony of her planned out life and transforms her into a free thinker. While this novel did not shock and impact me like 'If I Stay,' I found it to be just as invigorating. Forman is not afraid to pull her punches when it comes to dealing with the hard stuff. And she wields the new adult experience with the kind of charged but fragile wistfulness we've all felt in our journey to womanhood. Before I wax and wan about this fantastic coming-of-age novel to the point of burn-your-bra feminism, I should also point out a few things.
I rocked back and forth between three and four stars because it required more from me as a reader than usual, but in the best of ways. To fully experience this novel you have to soak it in and recognize all the many carefully thought out parallels between Lulu's story and the greater message.
This novel resonated with me as well, falling in love hard and fast and jumping to conclusions. Above all things, this is so much more than an epic, trans-continental love story. It is Lulu's story, and the story of every young woman trying to find out who she is in today's world. Many of us try on different masks like Lulu's flaky best friend, Melanie. Others drift and follow the current like Willem. Still others, like myself, take longer to come out of our shells. It takes that earth-shattering moment to wake us up and help us take charge of our own futures instead of letting others decide for us.
Take a chance on life, love and read this breathtaking novel by Gayle Forman. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Sharla Lovelace has been my 'New author find' of the year. Her debut book is the best I've read in 2012, and this novella did not disappoint.

It's an oft told plot - a coincidental reunion - but it's proof that if you are a master storyteller, that doesn't matter. The characters are well rounded and real, the dialog sparkles, and the end makes you sigh.

I highly recommend this! ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
I really liked this book until the end. When I read, I want to get emotional. I want tears, either happy or sad, but I want to feel something. Didn't happen with this one. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Loved the spontaneous nature of travel bits, loved Dee and Professor Glenny and the boat ride companions, loved *siiiigh, Paris*. Annoyed by the fact that some dude/trying to find him is the reason everything cool in her life happens, that she's so desperate to find him. The writing just so-so for me, but it definitely made me want to travel solo. ( )
  eevoss | Apr 21, 2016 |
For Tamar: sister, travel companion, friend --who, incidentally, went and married her Dutchman
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

272 wanted5 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,495,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible