Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:EBurggraf
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:YA Books
Tags:Love, Starred Review, Romance

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (80)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (82)
Gah!!! I keep promising myself not to start anymore series until every book is out, because cliffhangers kill me. This one killed me dead, but it was worth it.

I absolutely loved the evolution of Allyson and what she learned about herself. I'm not typically a fan of coming-of-age but this story sucked me in and I read it in a day, heart thumping for her and what she would do. So beautiful, and the use of Shakespeare was so well done I could cry.

If you haven't read this book yet, you absolutely must, but wait until October so you can read the next one immediately. Good Lord, I wish I would have done it that way. ( )
  KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen at Boricuan Bookworms

“We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love it one day. Anything can happen in just one day.”
-Just One Day by Gayle Forman
I picked up this book because I am a huge fan of Gayle’s previous books, If I Stay and Where She Went, and I wanted to see if I could love this series as much as her previous one. I did love this book, but I guess I put too many expectations on it.

This book is about Allyson Healey meets Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter on a European trip in England. Allyson has always been the sheltered good girl, the one who never takes risks, but this time, when Willem offers her one-day to be “Lulu”, a girl completely different from herself, she accepts. In that day, Lulu and Willem have the time of their lives; they share amazing moments together and in the process, even fall in love. When Lulu wakes up the next day, and Willem is gone, she begins to think that maybe she was the only one who felt the connection. Heartbroken, she goes back to America to be Allyson again. What happens when Allyson realizes that being Lulu was a life way better than she imagined? Can she really pick up the pieces and forget what happened between her and Willem?

Allyson (or Lulu) is a great protagonist. She was very relatable, and you couldn’t help but feel just as heartbroken and depressed as she does when Willem disappears. It was nice to see how this book not only concentrated on the romance, but it concentrated on Allyson’s life. About how she’s unhappy and tired of “quitting while she’s ahead”.

This is actually what I liked most of the book. Allyson’s self-discovery and subsequent character growth. I liked how at first she felt helpless to change anything about her life, but then goes and “takes a stand” to live her life how she wants to.

There are some secondary characters that really add a special touch to the book. Dee and Melanie’s stories are great, and I’d actually love to read more about them. Not to mention all the special little characters that actually contributed a lot to Allyson’s journey.

Another aspect of this book that I really liked was the setting. I loved how this was set in little places all over Europe: England, Paris, Amsterdam, Utrecht, etc. It fueled my desire to go visit these places even more! Especially since they were so well explored.

The romance was sweet but heartbreaking. I thought it was a bit clichéd at first, but then I fell in love with it. It was so heartbreaking to find out some things at the end, which definitely changed my views on Willem.

The only problem I really had with this book was how I expected this book to be something like If I Stay, which it wasn’t. This isn’t a bad thing. I’m actually glad the author did something different with this duet.

I was kind of disappointed that the ending left some loose ends, which is why I’m basically hyperventilating to start Just One Year. I MEAN WHAT A WAY TO END A BOOK. THAT WAS JUST PLAIN EVIL.

Just One Year is basically laughing at me and saying, “I’m right here! Pick me pick me!” I well get to you soon, my dear ARC.

Rating: 4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

Overall, I recommend this series if you like stories of self-discovery, foreign places, and romance. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
I ended up liking this a lot more than I thought I would. The first part is a very typical let's spend a day in Paris with a cute boy and be in luuuuuurve. Then the book mixes things up a bit, and I think the author took a neat approach to showing more of the aftermath of a "one day" love story.

I know this book has a sequel, and I'm not even sure I want to read it, because I liked how this book ended, and would have been even happier if it had just ended with Allyson not ever finding the dude again, because that was interesting. ( )
  delphica | Jun 10, 2015 |
EDIT 22 JULIO 2013

Y que por favor la autora deje de robarle a la trilogía de Antes del Amanecer . La trama esa de "Un día en la vida" , un par de diálogos por ahí y un par de escenas me hicieron acordar BASTANTE a la peli con Ethan Hawke y Julie Delphy .

------------

No es taaaan malo ...

Simplemente no me gustó . Me aburre la autora y sus esfuerzos por emocionar ... y como no me gusta que me fuercen la lágrima por forzarla nada más , este libro no es lo mío . Estoy segura de que a todos los demás que no son como yo , les va a encantar . Yo prefiero otra clase de lágrima . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

304 wanted3 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,123,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible