Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:EBurggraf
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:YA Books
Tags:Love, Starred Review, Romance

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (91)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  English (93)
At the end of her guided European tour, Allison meets a handsome Dutch actor and takes off with him for a day in Paris. When she wakes the next morning, he has disappeared, and she needs to know why. ( )
  lilibrarian | Nov 18, 2016 |
The title says it all in this short novella. After literally getting sick after her boyfriend proposes to her he tells her to take 24 hours to give him an answer. This has her taking a road trip which leads her to a diner where she not only meets an old couple with wisdom who may not be of this world anymore but also the owner of the diner turns out to be a one night stand from college she has never forgotten.

Even though this book happens over just a 2 day period there is a lot packed into and I thought the ending was perfect.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
The worst thing I can say about Just One Day is "WHY is this a novella and not a full length novel?! WHYYYY?". Yes, there is a distinct whiny tone to that, and I mean it. This was one of those stories that I read and then can't stop thinking about the next day.

The premise isn't one I normally go for, which unfortunately is what kept this on my TBR pile for so long. We are introduced to Andie at her surprise engagement party. Yep, you read that right. Apparently Andie has problems picking winning men in her life, and the one guy she really fell for disappeared after an amazing 24-hrs back when she they were in their twenties (enter Jesse). Her whole crisis involves settling, and when it feels right to do that. And when it so doesn't. By the time she sees Jesse again, I wanted her to keep running as far as she could from the situation she left behind.

I really couldn't believe how much I ended up invested in this short story. Some authors can do a lot with this medium, and apparently Sharla Lovelace is one of them. My only gripes centered around the kind of strange and unnecessary supernatural elements, and how much more I wanted to know about Andie and Jesse. Was Jesse able to patch up the relationship with his son? How did what happened between Andie and Marcus affect the land deal? What did they end up doing with the diner? I even wanted to see the growing pains they experienced in their relationship!

Will definitely be checking out more from the author, pronto!

Copy courtesy of Beyond the Page Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
'Just One Day' proves that anything can happen in the span of a few hours, or in the case of "Lulu," a few minutes. Her encounter with free-spirited Willem shocks her out of the monotony of her planned out life and transforms her into a free thinker. While this novel did not shock and impact me like 'If I Stay,' I found it to be just as invigorating. Forman is not afraid to pull her punches when it comes to dealing with the hard stuff. And she wields the new adult experience with the kind of charged but fragile wistfulness we've all felt in our journey to womanhood. Before I wax and wan about this fantastic coming-of-age novel to the point of burn-your-bra feminism, I should also point out a few things.
I rocked back and forth between three and four stars because it required more from me as a reader than usual, but in the best of ways. To fully experience this novel you have to soak it in and recognize all the many carefully thought out parallels between Lulu's story and the greater message.
This novel resonated with me as well, falling in love hard and fast and jumping to conclusions. Above all things, this is so much more than an epic, trans-continental love story. It is Lulu's story, and the story of every young woman trying to find out who she is in today's world. Many of us try on different masks like Lulu's flaky best friend, Melanie. Others drift and follow the current like Willem. Still others, like myself, take longer to come out of our shells. It takes that earth-shattering moment to wake us up and help us take charge of our own futures instead of letting others decide for us.
Take a chance on life, love and read this breathtaking novel by Gayle Forman. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Sharla Lovelace has been my 'New author find' of the year. Her debut book is the best I've read in 2012, and this novella did not disappoint.

It's an oft told plot - a coincidental reunion - but it's proof that if you are a master storyteller, that doesn't matter. The characters are well rounded and real, the dialog sparkles, and the end makes you sigh.

I highly recommend this! ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
For Tamar: sister, travel companion, friend --who, incidentally, went and married her Dutchman
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

272 wanted5 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible