Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:EBurggraf
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:YA Books
Tags:Love, Starred Review, Romance

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (91)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All (93)
A fun young adult book, but not great literature. The main character was well developed and likable girl named Allison. My favorite character was her college friend Dee. The plot was interesting and it really drew me in. I wanted to know what would happen next. I must say, however, that I HATED the ending, but since that would be a spoiler I won't say more about that. The one thing I found unconvincing was Allison's mother. ( )
  KamGeb | Feb 5, 2017 |
It's amusing and slightly funny too given that I don't read such kind of books. Such meaning novellas that talk of 'love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the “accidents” of fate.' But yes, I read this one and its sequel and the e-book epilogue as well. This is a YA work of fiction. Only it doesn't so much sound fictitious. Replace Paris with any other city of the world, what Allyson & Willem experienced has essentially happened with many of us. I am not saying I travelled with some stranger bloke to an unknown city but yes, I've spoken and shared my heart with strangers in metropolis.

I've always had a complaint with myself that I never read YA books while growing up. I was into more serious, classical reading back then. Now, when I read these books, they seem heart-warmingly right and acute of the growing years. I read this over the night, and the last word touched down the future of the characters in my mind. I read with my heart. So yes, it affects me deeply when people I grow familiar with in books suffer misery and pain and heartbreak. This is my first Gayle Forman book and I'm so impressed with her writing. I've always appreciated YA writers because we need more of them in today's deconstructed society, this de-structured world which simply ignores/assaults/forgets children and Young Adults.

This review be taken as a review for all the wonderful experiences and memories we have all got in our lives. There are all kinds of debates about love and longing. Its just personal. Individual- I say. We need these walks and travels and conversations with strangers. We really do. It takes a lifetime to build up memories. What is a mere 'day' then? Before starting the book, I had this faint idea that the plot sounded like the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset movies. I've had so many conversations with my own self while reading 'Just one day.' Isn't that the mark of a good book? It lets you have your voice speak up. I am thoroughly connected with both Lulu and Willem. And because I LOVE Shakespeare they will stay with me for a long time. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
At the end of her guided European tour, Allison meets a handsome Dutch actor and takes off with him for a day in Paris. When she wakes the next morning, he has disappeared, and she needs to know why. ( )
  lilibrarian | Nov 18, 2016 |
The title says it all in this short novella. After literally getting sick after her boyfriend proposes to her he tells her to take 24 hours to give him an answer. This has her taking a road trip which leads her to a diner where she not only meets an old couple with wisdom who may not be of this world anymore but also the owner of the diner turns out to be a one night stand from college she has never forgotten.

Even though this book happens over just a 2 day period there is a lot packed into and I thought the ending was perfect.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
The worst thing I can say about Just One Day is "WHY is this a novella and not a full length novel?! WHYYYY?". Yes, there is a distinct whiny tone to that, and I mean it. This was one of those stories that I read and then can't stop thinking about the next day.

The premise isn't one I normally go for, which unfortunately is what kept this on my TBR pile for so long. We are introduced to Andie at her surprise engagement party. Yep, you read that right. Apparently Andie has problems picking winning men in her life, and the one guy she really fell for disappeared after an amazing 24-hrs back when she they were in their twenties (enter Jesse). Her whole crisis involves settling, and when it feels right to do that. And when it so doesn't. By the time she sees Jesse again, I wanted her to keep running as far as she could from the situation she left behind.

I really couldn't believe how much I ended up invested in this short story. Some authors can do a lot with this medium, and apparently Sharla Lovelace is one of them. My only gripes centered around the kind of strange and unnecessary supernatural elements, and how much more I wanted to know about Andie and Jesse. Was Jesse able to patch up the relationship with his son? How did what happened between Andie and Marcus affect the land deal? What did they end up doing with the diner? I even wanted to see the growing pains they experienced in their relationship!

Will definitely be checking out more from the author, pronto!

Copy courtesy of Beyond the Page Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
For Tamar: sister, travel companion, friend --who, incidentally, went and married her Dutchman
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

272 wanted5 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,684,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible