Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

448None23,265 (4.1)9
Member:EBurggraf
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:YA Books
Tags:Love, Starred Review, Romance

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (59)  Piratical (1)  All languages (60)
Let me just say straight up that it was a nice refreshing change to read about characters in my age group.

The story began with a party and a proposal, a very public proposal, not something that Andie wanted at all. Her boyfriend is rich and successful, giving Andie anything he wants. Notice I said anything that 'he' wants. It is at that moment Andie starts questioning just how much her boyfriend really knows her and if her answer should be the one he is expecting. She is given 24 hours to make up her mind and on impulse, she goes on a road trip.
Meet Jesse, the one person who Andie has ever felt really connected to, but whom Andie hasn't seen since that day all those years ago. Who would have thought that they would meet again, but coincidences and serendipity happen. In a place they least expect it, they are once again thrown together and circumstances are throwing fate right in front of them, begging it not to be ignored.

I really liked this novella and I am definitely interested to read more from this author. It was well written and I nearly read it in one sitting except for life interrupting. The characters were realistic and as I said at the start I really enjoyed reading about characters in my age group. I was caught up in Andie's head and could feel the turmoil she was going through and when we met Jesse, I felt the electricity going between the two. The couple of twists were well written and I felt they really fitted in well with the theme and feel of the story.

I would have loved it to have been a longer book so I could really immerse myself in the whole atmosphere of the characters world and their feelings. Overall a great quick, enjoyable read.

copy kindly provided by Netgalley and the publisher ( )
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |
I'm really not sure what to say. I liked it, really liked it even, though there were parts that I didn't like, by the end of the book I was sort of hooked. I'm still a tiny bit unable to put my thoughts together coherently about this book. It's sort of hard to put my finger on, but it's kind of both a brilliant book and an ok book. That doesn't make much sense. I guess for now I'll leave it at it's good and I would definitely recommend it.

For the full and hopefully more understandable review, please check out my blog at http:www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I am absolutely in love with this story.

The book begins with Allyson on one of those cultural educational tours of Europe. Let me tell you, I’ve been on a couple tours and my experiences don’t even come CLOSE to Allyson’s!

(Yeah, that’s a little jealousy you detect.)

She and Willem may only know each other one day–just one day–but even so, it’s not the insta-love I find myself stumbling across in books where I question the validity of said love. It’s not the kind of love where the second they see each other worlds collide and the heavens open.

This is different, deeper. As unrealistic as the circumstances seem, it’s still more real.

I am a complete and TOTAL sucker for love stories, yes. Yet there is a whole lot more to this book than just Allyson’s interaction with Willem, because–I’ll say it once again–we only get ONE DAY of them together. The whole rest of the book is spent following Allyson’s life through the year after the day Willem left her.

But did he really leave her? What really happened?

Usually I get a little frustrated when there isn’t more direct romance in a book. I mean, throughout the one year all we have is the memory of the one day. And yet, surprisingly, I still absolutely LOVE this story. We’re with Allyson when she’s depressed and struggling, but we get to watch her break through and change her life and take charge of her future. It’s empowering to read, really.

This is a love story for the ages, and even more than that it’s a story of self discovery and independence and growing into yourself. A lot about identity, and what it means to be you. The story opens with Allyson referencing Shakespeare, asking this:

“What if the real question is not whether to be, but how to be?”

If you’re pretending to be someone, is it really a facade? Or is that facade just another part of who you are, buried deep inside? This book brought a lot of questions to mind about how I am, and I’m still thinking it over.

Also, that ending just about KILLED me. There better be more to it than that when I read Just One Year! (I think I actually squealed when I flipped the page and that was the end.)

I’ll say it again: I LOVE this story, and I can’t wait to read Just One Year.

5/5 stars;) ( )
  danitronmc | Mar 3, 2014 |
Lovely story of Allyson's brief, intense first love on a trip to Europe and the repercussions that it has with family and friends during the following year. Great book for teen girls, and I will be awaiting the next book written from Willem's point of view. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Feb 14, 2014 |
Gayle Forman's If I Stay and Where She Went are two of my all-time favorite books, so I was really excited for this one. I'm sad to say that it didn't meet my expectations. It might have even been a DNF for me, but I was stubborn and pressed on to the end. I'm kinda glad I did, as the last third of the book is better than the rest, but I was still disappointed in the ending. I get that there's a sequel, but I wish the Willem story had been wrapped up a little more in book one.

My biggest issue with the book was Allyson. She frustrated me to no end. I wanted to shake her. Her entire life is spent keeping the peace, going along with whatever anyone else wants. She didn't seem to have opinions or desires of her own beyond that. Even her day with Willem is spent worrying about whether he likes her versus this girl or that girl.

She does get some gumption in the last third of the book, but I think (at least for me), it was too little, too late at that point.

On the plus side, I really liked the character of Wren and thought her story would have been more interesting to read than Allyson's. Maybe Forman will write a companion novel with Wren. If so, I'll check it out. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible