Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Gayle Forman

Member:EBurggraf
Title:Just One Day
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:YA Books
Tags:Love, Starred Review, Romance

Just One Day by Gayle Forman (2013)

English (66)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (68)
The main character has her life planned out by her family, but then she makes some (in real life) very bad decisions. This book is in no way indicative of real life, but it is fun to think about all the decisions you, as the reader, could have made differently and the various out comes. That is why I liked this book so much. Not because it's real life, but it's a bit of an young adult fantasy world. ( )
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
Read my full review here.

The thing about this book is that it deals with so many relatable topics that it’s so easy to like.

I’ve read that some people think Allyson is an idiot for “obsessing” over Willem, but I think that aside from them each finding someone who understand their true selves and having a feeling that something bad happened to him - which it did - she’s searching for the Allyson that she is when she’s with him because it’s the truest version of herself. Except instead of calling herself Lulu she realizes that, “Hey, this isn’t some persona based upon a famous classic actress, this is the me I would be if I lived for myself instead of others”. To me, that’s the most profound aspect of this book and that’s what really made me love it.

As for the setting, I love that we’re taken to so many places. Forman knows how to describe these places so well that I felt I was almost in each location. And can I just say I love that we follow Allyson to college? For this reason, I could easier relate to Allyson’s feelings and struggles in school. A lot of people call this book YA, but I definitely think it’s more New Adult (which I love). It’s an NA book with a good plot and accessible characters! Finally!

I would be crazy to not point out that I love Forman’s incorporation of Shakespeare. Not only does she use his words and ideas, but she has us follow his plays (as they are acted and/or read by characters).

The only problems I really had are with some aspects of the writing style. Forman tends to repeat herself a lot within the same paragraph which can become a little distracting.

Overall, this book was everything I expected it to be and then some. It really spoke to me on a personal level and I was easily drawn into it. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
Such a perfect book.

The middle was a bit slow for a few chapters, but that was my only complaint. And, actually, I think it helped the story more than hurt it. I found myself as frustrated as Allyson in those parts.

I love how real the characters were. I didn't especially like Melanie or Allyson's mom at first, but they did have good sides. I did like them by the end, and even almost liked Celine.

And it ended with such a cliffhanger! I'm so glad I waited for both books to be out before I read this. The moment I get home tonight, I'm going to start reading the sequel. ( )
  books-cats-love | Jul 21, 2014 |
That was disappointing. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
OK--will probably buy this because it was relatively clean but.....

Good Girl Allyson on a trip through Europe (graduation present from the parents) decides to take a chance and go to Paris for just one day on an adventure with Shakespearean Actor Willem. Within 24 hours she sees a bit of Paris, meets his ex-girlfriend (plus sees him pick up or at least try to pick up several others), goes on a boatride that costs her $100 "emergency money" gets chased by skinheads and ends up sleeping with him in a house that they have broken into only to be abandoned by him the next morning.

She gets out of there by the miracles of knowing just the right person (since she is stuck in Paris with no money) and gets back to the US but still can't forget about this guy that she only knows his first name and that is from Holland.

College is a disaster until she realizes that she is not Pre-Med material (that had been Mom and Dad's idea) and gets into a Shakespeare class where she meets Dee who is the best part of the book. A young black man who can change his personality like some folks change their clothes and be just "who you want him to be" or "who you think he should be".

THat summer she decides that she has to go back to Paris to try to find Willem once more and works like crazy to get the money plus taking a French class. Even turns down contribution from Mommy which is also a good thing.

(Spoiler Alert!!!) Paris is better this time. Meets up with folks who are willing to help, but also keeps finding out that Willem is a bit of a jerk. Through a whole bunch of circumstances that are just too good to be true, she does finally find him only to end the book and wait for a sequel.

Relatively clean and wish that it had ended about 10 pages before it did. As it is it is the teen girls "dream" of "Well, he's a jerk but he's my jerk and now we'll live happily ever after because love changes him." Bah Humbug.

Likes: The fact that Allyson has a college counselor who sticks up for her and gets her on the right track
The fact that Allyson actually realizes the Willem is probably a jerk.
The fact that Allyson makes her own money to take this trip to Europe rather than taking from her parents. (Never had a real job in high school? Really????) There is a level of maturity there that you don't always find.

Dislikes:
Willem is a jerk! I don't care if he got beat up by skinheads and that is why he didn't come back for you--he is a jerk!
Loved Dee--wish that there was a book just about him (Would like to think there will be in the sequel but not sure) ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jun 14, 2014 |
What if Shakespeare had it wrong?

"Sparks fly when American good girl Allyson encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem, so she follows him on a whirlwind trip to Paris, upending her life in just one day and prompting a year of self-discovery and the search for true love."--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just One Day by Gayle Forman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,101,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible