Venom by Fiona Paul

Title:Venom
Authors:Fiona Paul
Info:Philomel (2012), Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Secrets of the Eternal Rose series, murder, mystery, historical fiction, Venice, Renaissance, Young Adult fiction, library

Venom (Dark Waters) by Fiona Paul

Really good mystery! It was really refreshing to read a book that took place in Venice and didn't have paranormal elements in it. I loved the murder mystery aspect. I'll definitely be reading the sequel soon. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Cassandra is a noblewoman of Venice, and she leads a sheltered life. She lives with her aunt and is engaged to Luca, who is away studying at university. After a friend dies, Cassandra leaves the cathedral, only to be knocked over by the artist apprentice Falco. Later that night, Cassandra feels compelled to say farewell to her friend, who has just been buried in the cemetary next to her aunt's estate. In the graveyard, Cassandra discovers that the body buried in the crypt is not her friend, but a strange young woman with an X carved into her chest. Now Cassandra must solve the murder with the help of Falco. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 29, 2014 |
This one has been on my to-read list since BEA. I'm a sucker for good historical fiction, and this promised Renaissance Intrigue.

Well. It was historical fiction. Set in Renaissance Venice.
But.
At first, I thought I would power through what felt like a slow start.
And then there was the kind of love interest angst that even my 14 year old self might have rolled eyes at a bit. Kind of wanted to whack the heroine upside the head.
Also, I think I'd thought, from misreading the cover copy that the heroine was a courtesan in Venice. Or an Assassin. No such luck! I think I kept reading hoping that plot twist would emerge instead of the murders and artists and love affairs and midnight sneaking about.

I'll say this- there was enough misdirection about the mystery that I didn't see the plot twist at the end coming.

And it's a series? Why is it a series? Bah! ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

Well. It was historical fiction. Set in Renaissance Venice.
But.
At first, I thought I would power through what felt like a slow start.

And it's a series? Why is it a series? Bah! ( )
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
As always all of my theories were elaborately wrong. So elaborately wrong. This book is so well written and so thoughtful I had hoped it would never end. Alas, it did, and I'm hoping for a sequel! ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |

In Renaissance Venice, orphaned Cassandra Caravello is one of the elite but feels trapped in the city of water until she stumbles upon a murdered woman and is drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, grave robbers, and secret societies, guided by Falco, a mysterious and alluring artist.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible