Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1) by…

Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1) (edition 2012)

by Fiona Paul

Member:avidreaderlisa
Title:Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1)
Authors:Fiona Paul
Info:Philomel (2012), Hardcover, 435 pages
Rating:**

Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose) by Fiona Paul

If you're inclined to romance books, you'll love this book. I am not one of those people, so I spent the most of the book being annoyed by Cassandra. I was constantly yelling at her in my head: Don't trust him! Don't go into the dark room! Don't go into the dark room with the guy I told you not to trust! I enjoyed the murder mystery aspect, but the high-society girl playing detective has been used far too many times. Also, before every chapter was a quote from "The Book of The Eternal Rose"; which, while the name of the series is similar to the title, this book is never mentioned. The quotes were extremely odd. They spoke of what to do with dead bodies and one in particular described instructions of strangling someone! Venom is simply another YA book with an overused storyline, to be skimmed and not particularly enjoyed.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Ok, I like the main character well enough but everybody else around her deserve a sound slapping.

I guess that is my way of saying, the strengths of this book lie in its authentic recreation of renaissance Venice. In the end, I think the best thing this book has to offer is that it is a sound exercise in examining the societal prejudices of the time. (...Then again, you could probably say that for just about anything in historical fiction...). And as a feminist I really appreciated that I was able to look at it through the lens of a sixteen year old girl - that was a perspective I could relate to and could sympathize with given the state of affairs for young girls in renaissance Europe.

Still, historical setting aside, the story line and characters themselves were mediocre. It starts interesting, and then drags. Mostly it consists of Falco and Cassandra moonlighting around Venice. At some point, Falco obliviously leaves her to fend for herself in the middle of the night in a brothel. Charming. (But then, if you were to describe Falco in one word for the entire book it would be "oblivious".) The questions and ideas concerning bodies and bodily functions were...interesting but not compelling. The return of Luca just dragged the plot out even more than necessary and forced the incredibly tired love-triangle trope too soon.

Overall, nothing about this book moved me. I was interested, but not wholly engaged or invested, in what happened to the characters. And I would have to say, this is true for both Venom and its sequel, Belladonna. ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
This book was really good. I love historical fiction and Venom was amazing. The romance although subtle was really powerful. Well worth reading. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Really good mystery! It was really refreshing to read a book that took place in Venice and didn't have paranormal elements in it. I loved the murder mystery aspect. I'll definitely be reading the sequel soon. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Cassandra is a noblewoman of Venice, and she leads a sheltered life. She lives with her aunt and is engaged to Luca, who is away studying at university. After a friend dies, Cassandra leaves the cathedral, only to be knocked over by the artist apprentice Falco. Later that night, Cassandra feels compelled to say farewell to her friend, who has just been buried in the cemetary next to her aunt's estate. In the graveyard, Cassandra discovers that the body buried in the crypt is not her friend, but a strange young woman with an X carved into her chest. Now Cassandra must solve the murder with the help of Falco. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 29, 2014 |

In Renaissance Venice, orphaned Cassandra Caravello is one of the elite but feels trapped in the city of water until she stumbles upon a murdered woman and is drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, grave robbers, and secret societies, guided by Falco, a mysterious and alluring artist.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,679,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible